GTA: Chinatown Wars Coming To PSP October 20

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
GTA: Chinatown Wars Coming To PSP October 20

The PSP version of Rockstar Games' wildly underloved Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is scheduled for release on Sony's handheld on October 20, the company revealed via its Facebook page earlier today.

Alongside the imminent release date, Rockstar also let it be known [http://www.facebook.com/rockstargames?ref=mf] that the firm would be releasing the first official images from the game "soon."

As one of the bafflingly small number of people who played through Chinatown Wars' original Nintendo DS iteration, and completely loved the experience, I'm extremely curious how Rockstar plans to bring the game to Sony's system.

The original made extensive use of the DS' touch screen capabilities -- almost moreso than any other DS release to date -- and being unable to tap the PSP's screen to break out of submerged vehicles or manipulate virtual screwdrivers in an attempt to hijack a stolen car could make the game seem subpar when compared to its predecessor.

Then again, Rockstar has the personnel and cash to work through almost any limitations. Remember: We all scoffed when they mentioned a Nintendo DS Grand Theft Auto after so many years of enjoying the series' detailed 3-D worlds.

Guess we have a two month wait to see how the company has fared.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
That game was amazing but short, and utilised the touch screen better than almost any other game on the system. If you have a PSP but not a DS, you owe it to yourself to buy it. If you have a DS, go get it!

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
That game was amazing but short, and utilised the touch screen better than almost any other game on the system. If you have a PSP but not a DS, you owe it to yourself to buy it. If you have a DS, go get it!
I'm going through it right now, and I don't think it's that short. I'm only going through about 4 or 5 missions a day inbetween the side-quests and drug-trading. I completely agree with the whole "getting it now" part, though.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll make the PSP version without using the touch-screen. Will those segments be removed? Or will it just be a bunch of quick-time events?

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Um, why would PSP users want a game with comparatively poor graphics and controls when they have way better GTA games with PS2 level graphics. And for the record I've played the game on my DS.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
I'm going through it right now, and I don't think it's that short. I'm only going through about 4 or 5 missions a day inbetween the side-quests and drug-trading. I completely agree with the whole "getting it now" part, though.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll make the PSP version without using the touch-screen. Will those segments be removed? Or will it just be a bunch of quick-time events?
They might use the nub, but no way in hell would that be the same. The drug trading is an excellent system, I could just do that all day, and the drug busts add an extra layer of entertainment to it all. I did just ignore the weed unless I had a truck load of the stuff, I just went for the hard stuff, that's where the money was. I wonder if they will have the DLC for it as well?

Bah, we'll talk more on The Wii Network.

SilverHammerMan said:
Um, why would PSP users want a game with comparatively poor graphics and controls when they have way better GTA games with PS2 level graphics. And for the record I've played the game on my DS.
Because it plays better than those ones, and I've heard a lot of people saying "man, they should do another GTA game like 2 where it's from a birds eye view". A lot of people. Now they get their wish.

Not everything is about graphics mate. IMO that's the best GTA game I've played in a while (haven't played 4).

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I didn't really like GTA China Town Wars... I'm not a fan. I want San Andreas Stories.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

If they replace all the touch screen events with quick time events, it's going to get old very fast. I think that they really should just make a new game for the psp, not try to port a ds game to it.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

They might use the nub, but no way in hell would that be the same. The drug trading is an excellent system, I could just do that all day, and the drug busts add an extra layer of entertainment to it all. I did just ignore the weed unless I had a truck load of the stuff, I just went for the hard stuff, that's where the money was. I wonder if they will have the DLC for it as well?

This post made me think of something: Imagine if Rockstar made a Wii-exclusive GTA game. Before anyone goes "it wil sux cuz its wii lololo," think about it. They've already shown that they're capable of taking advantage of different control schemes, as evidenced by the great use of the touch-screen and mic in Chinatown Wars. The Wii version of Bully also worked fairly well (despite the unresponsive boxing minigame), which shows they're more than capable of making good use of the Wii motion controls. Graphics wouldn't be too much of an issue, as the GTA games were never known for having good graphics (anyone who's played the PS2 games can't deny that), but I wouldn't mind if they went to a more cartoony art style like Chinatown Wars. In a way, the GTA games have been on the cartoony side in terms of presentation and physics (4 being the exception), so a less-realistic art style would complement that quite well. I'm sure Rockstar and Take-Two have thought of this already, and I'm definitely sure the media will try to burn the game at the stake because it's on the Wii, but it would still be cool if it happened.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Mr. Fister said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

This post made me think of something: Imagine if Rockstar made a Wii-exclusive GTA game. Before anyone goes "it wil sux cuz its wii lololo," think about it. They've already shown that they're capable of taking advantage of different control schemes, as evidenced by the great use of the touch-screen and mic in Chinatown Wars. The Wii version of Bully also worked fairly well (despite the unresponsive boxing minigame), which shows they're more than capable of making good use of the Wii motion controls. Graphics wouldn't be too much of an issue, as the GTA games were never known for having good graphics (anyone who's played the PS2 games can't deny that), but I wouldn't mind if they went to a more cartoony art style like Chinatown Wars. In a way, the GTA games have been on the cartoony side in terms of presentation and physics (4 being the exception), so a less-realistic art style would complement that quite well. I'm sure Rockstar and Take-Two have thought of this already, and I'm definitely sure the media will try to burn the game at the stake because it's on the Wii, but it would still be cool if it happened.
Interesting. This would make this rumour from ages ago much more tantalising http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2008/09/05/rumor-gta-wii-project-in-the-works/

I think they might be able to make something really special if they get the controls right, but if they are as immersive as say, Manhunt 2 or The Godfather (one of my nephews was playing The Godfather when he came round...the look on his face as he battered a mobster to death O_O) the bloody controversy bandwagon will roll around and everyone will hop on.