Buzz Aldrin Filled Out a Travel Voucher For His Moon Trip

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Buzz Aldrin Filled Out a Travel Voucher For His Moon Trip

In a time when there seems to be paper work for everything, former astronaut Buzz Aldrin shows us that it is not anything new.

When Apollo 11 touched down on the moon, and Neil Armstrong made that historic leap for mankind on July 20, 1969, it became a day that marked how far man had come in his technological advancement. Of course, before and after the return we now find a couple somewhat silly hoops that had to be jumped through in association with the trip.

In a TBT tweet [https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/status/626812956148248577?lang=en], former astronaut Buzz Aldrin revealed that he had to file a travel voucher with NASA for his moon trip. In documenting the trip, Aldrin divulged a route that left his home in Houston, went to Edwards Air Force Base in California, flew to Cape Canaveral, FL, then took a government space ship to the moon and back, landing in the Pacific Ocean. He was then picked up by the USS Hornet, which took him to Hawaii, and then back to Edwards, and then home.

It was noted that "government meals and quarters were provided" during the trip.

The amount of reimbursement: $33.31

Aldrin also tweeted [https://twitter.com/TheRealBuzz/status/627895978796916736?lang=en] that in addition to the travel authorization before the moon flight, a Customs form had to be filled out upon return to Honolulu airport for the moon rocks, moon dust and other samples they brought back. When the form asked about possible diseases, the response was "To Be Determined."

Gotta love that government red tape.

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/buzz-aldrin-proves-the-federal-government-has-a-form-fo-1721587666]

[gallery=4482]

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Well my afternoon filling out pointless paperwork just became a bit brighter. Now when anyone asks me what I did today I can tell them straight faced "Astronaut stuff"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Major_Tom said:
It's so silly, I love it. Departure from (Place and Country): MOON.
Wait wait wait...the moon is a country now? Who lives there? What aren't NASA telling us?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Major_Tom said:
Wait wait wait...the moon is a country now? Who lives there? What aren't NASA telling us?
We put the flag there, it's a 'Murican colony IT'S A NEUTRAL RESEARCH LOCATION AND NOTHING MORE.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
thaluikhain said:
Major_Tom said:

I think I'm on to something here.

*Gets taken away by FBI agents*

HALP!

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
It's always nice to see the escapist source the blogs of the unethical (if not criminal) yellow tabloid network, gawker, as news.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
somonels said:
It's always nice to see the escapist source the blogs of the unethical (if not criminal) yellow tabloid network, gawker, as news.
The source is where I saw the news. Independently verified ...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I can imagine somewhere out there is a lot of "in case you don't come back" paperwork, filled out for every mission

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Scrythe said:
I can imagine somewhere out there is a lot of "in case you don't come back" paperwork, filled out for every mission
Sometimes called the greatest speech never given [https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/In_Event_of_Moon_Disaster].

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
Now we know why humans don't yet seem to have been visited by extraterrestrials.

They were turned away at customs!