PC Release for Metal Gear Solid 5 Moved Up to Match Consoles

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
PC Release for Metal Gear Solid 5 Moved Up to Match Consoles

PC gamers rejoice: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain will release on PC the same day as on console.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain's PC release date has been moved forward to match the console release. Originally anticipated for September 15, The Phantom Pain will now be available on PC as of September 1, releasing alongside the Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS3 versions of the title.

A post [http://uk-blog.konami-europe.com/2015/08/03/mgsvtpp-steam-release-date-now-sept-1st/] on Konami's blog reads "After listening to feedback from the PC community, the development team worked incredibly hard to push the game's release date forward so as to coincide with the console release date, meaning no more waiting for PC fans!"

"We initially did not think it would be possible to get such an epic game out onto PC in time for launch alongside its console counterparts, but all involved have worked diligently to meet the demands of our PC consumers," said Tomotada Tashiro, President of Konami Digital Entertainment B.V., in a press release. "Now PC users will be able to explore the vibrant and beautifully-realised locations and set-pieces that elevate Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain beyond all other action titles. We feel confident that Steam users will be satisfied with the contents we will provide for the Steam version."

Pre-orders through Steam will include a free copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, and all Steam customers will receive a collector's video in addition to DLC in the form of a 'Venom Snake' emblem and Mother Base Staff.

As a result of the updated timing, Metal Gear Online, The Phantom Pain's competitive online multiplayer mode, will not go live until October 6 for consoles and January 2016 for PC.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Where is Kojima? We demand proof of life!!
Considering the info coming out of Konami these days, the best we'd probably get is a finger.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I am rejoicing right now. A full blown MGS title on the PC. Hod damn, what a time to be alive. Sure it's an end of an era, but what a way to end it. If only they'd release other MGS titles on the PC.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Adam Jensen said:
I am rejoicing right now. A full blown MGS title on the PC. Hod damn, what a time to be alive. Sure it's an end of an era, but what a way to end it. If only they'd release other MGS titles on the PC.
try nor to get to crazy this is konami the guys who been fucking everything up lately.

Hope it's well optimized considering how close it is to release it may have issues.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
MGS1, MGS2, MGR were all released on PC but MGS2 was a complete mess of a port. Example? Pressing ESC quit the game. Instantly. Kind of sad, considering that MGS1 was actually a great PC Port.
And then nothing until Metal Gear Rising.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I don't trust Konami, and considering the recent events of Arkham Knight, I would trust a release that was moved up to match consoles even less.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
MC1980 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I don't trust Konami, and considering the recent events of Arkham Knight, I would trust a release that was moved up to match consoles even less.
That's a good mentality to have, but you are kind of looking at wrong points of comparison. Warner Bros' fuck up shouldn't be the thing that makes you more wary to a product of an entirely different company. Patterns should be searched within one single series/developers/publishers(etc) output.

Take Arkham Knight for example. Now, on PC, two of the games in the series had major problems, AC had really nasty issues in DX11 and GFWL, while AO had bugs out the ass of all types and sizes. Reasonable to assume that it won't be a smooth launch, even if you narrow it down to Rocksteady only, you have one game in AA that was a good port(sans GFWL) and one rough one in AC. It could still go either way at that point, so being careful is very much warranted (which proved to be the right thing to do, quite spectacularly so). And that's before you consider Warner Bros other recent AAA titles. Mortal Kombat X is still to this day fucked, and Shadow of Mordor was good, due to it being made by a very old school PC dev(Monolith). Caution was the logical conclusion based on this.

Now look at MGS5. Game may or may not be a good port, that remains to be seen, but there are signs that point to it being a good port, with maybe some of the usual issues at launch. Ground Zeroes, the devs last title, was a very well made port with a few smaller things here and there that could be tightened up. And MGSV is in the unique position where it is actually mostly the same game in the technical sense, since GZ was just an intro section cut from MGSV and sold seperately. A lot of the groundwork should already be done for the porting of it. However, it was a very late port of the game, and it was done in an enviroment where they would only need to work on the PC version of the title anymore, the simultaneous release could take away focus from the port. Though again, a lot of work on the port should have been done just by doing GZ, so that could explain the timeline of release. Now, taking a look at (fuck)Konami's other recent PC releases, PES15 was a bad port, LoS2 was a decent one and MGR's was okay at best, all of these by different devs of course. So cause for caution is again advised, but, for the reasons I had mentioned before (dev's own track record, the relation of GZ and PP), MGSV does have the best chance of being a good port, (fuck)Konami or no (fuck)Konami.

tl;dr Distrust is good, MGS V is probably going to be fine, Arkham Knight was shit because Rocksteady and Warner and fuck Konami.
My experience has been that release dates pushed up isn't a sign of being ahead of schedule but a marketing decision, consequences be damned, so they can get release money. Further, the publishers of the industry do not tend to learn lessons quickly from other companies' failures and with the way Konami has been making ridiculously stupid decisions as of late, this is not a good sign. If it turns out great, I won't be pissed but I'm wary, not because I am comparing it to Arkham Knight, just that AK has made me even more wary than before about larger publishers and stupid decisions. I've yet to see a AAA game with a rushed release schedule turn out to be worth its weight in the last 5 years or so. Just near-last minute decisions bother me and I'm not confident in Konami (fuck them, damn right fuck them all to hell) to be making decisions based on QA giving a build/port the OK.

Maybe they'll surprise me, and even if GZ comes out as a stellar release, it'll be the damn last time I ever buy a game from Konami, and only because I'm buying it as Kojima's last Metal Gear and not out of any loyalty to a once great company.

Note: I'm not a cynical person, and this is just a buildup of distrust from a company I once respected. With EA I'm more disappointed at times and at times surprised, which is why I'm not 100% angry with them, Konami is going out of its way to burn bridges and has earned my ire. We don't talk about Activision, not in my house.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
"We saw the shape Warner Bros was able to release Arkham Knight in and realized we didn't have to optimize nearly as much!"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Well, I'm getting this on day one regardless of how poorly optimized it is. If it's semi-playable then it's good enough for me.

Made in China

Apr 2, 2013
MC1980 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I agree that it was probably marketings call. Though the original PC date was only 2 weeks later, not enough time to unfuck major technical issues (hello Arkham Knight). So atleast I'm comfortable with the thought that if it shits the bed, it would have shit the bed either way.
Well, it's Kojima Productions' first open world game. It's bound to have issues (as do all open world games), which will have a certain solution on each console. Because the PC is modular, it'll probably necessitate a far more intricate solution to work on all hardware and settings - and I'm guessing they were hoping to fix release bugs for the PC version because otherwise it would've been broken on a variety of different machines.
So they either solved it and are confident it won't be broken, or it's a marketing trick which we'll suffer for it. Either way, the game SHOULD be playable until September 15.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I figured out how to connect Dualshock 4 to PC so its worth noting that I'll still retain the nostalgic feel after playing the games on Playstation console.

I'm not all too eager to play this though.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
008Zulu said:
I wonder how broken the game will launch, and if so, will they fix it before Warner Bros.?
Considering the team is being fired after the game is released and Konami's state right now? We'll be lucky if it's fixed ever.

Really that's what worries me here. Are they expecting the game to get negative reviews at launch? Did they move the date up to maximize day one sales across all platforms? Maybe the just wanted to avoid paying Kojima's team a cent more then they had to?

I just really doubt this was done for a positive reason.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Anyone else concerned about this? On face value they spin it nicely but usually moving up release dates means something is wrong.