Crackdown 3 To Launch in 2016

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Crackdown 3 To Launch in 2016

What does a "sandbox of mayhem" look like? Check out the trailer for Crackdown 3.

Today, Xbox opened Gamescom 2015, including the world gameplay reveal of Crackdown 3, as part of what the company is calling "the greatest games lineup in history [http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/gamescom-xbox-unveils-more-of-greatest-games-lineup]."

Crackdown 3, an Xbox-exclusive title from Raegent Games, has been announced for release in 2016, with the multiplayer beta launching in Summer 2016. The game will make use of Microsoft Cloud to access processing power for its multiplayer mode

"Honoring the classic, open-world Crackdown experience adored by fans, Crackdown 3 is bringing you a 4-person co-operative campaign enhanced with a new dynamic story, cutting-edge weapons and vehicles, enemies you'll love to hate - and of course, tons of orbs to collect," a post on Xbox Wire [http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/gamescom-crackdown-3] reads. "Crackdown 3 will also deliver a groundbreaking competitive multiplayer mode, where everything is physical thanks to the Microsoft Cloud. Harness 20 times the power of your Xbox One to unleash 100 percent destructible environments for the first time ever in gaming and create your own explosive stories in the process."

"Whether you play Crackdown 3 for its entirely new campaign or its revolutionary multiplayer, one thing is for sure: you'll never look at an open-world experience the same way again!"

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh balls, the words "xbox exclusive" have never caused such distress and self loathing until now. This should be Red Faction's court, where in the hell have they gotten to lately? Just because Armageddon was a huge mistake, that is no reason to give up! Don't make me become a terrorist to ge my kicks, i might lose my pension.

By the way, glad to see the cheese is still strong with these MS American voice-overs. The honey monster would have sold it to me better. Now there's an idea...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I dont know, Crackdown seems like the wrong game for this destruction since a lot of the bosses from the first game required the player to find where he was, dodge the hardest enemies in the area and finally kill the guy. Isnt this destruction just going to make the player blow everything in the area untill the target dies? It seems like a very different dynamic that for a game that was just about "kill these 21 guys" it makes it more stale.

Also the city looks like an architectural model since every interior looks empty (actually a lot of the city looks empty, just some vague simple roads with vague simple buildings). I know that it cant have that many details because the tech isnt there yet but maybe this should have been apllied to a new game where it embraced that visual style of being an architectural model (I dont know, you played as a kingpin trying to take over a city violently and build your own buildings on top of the ones you destroyed)

I liked the first Crackdown and this one seems cool, its just that it may end up having a lot of negatives for me since the concept doesnt seem to mix as well as it could.

I ended up during the entire show doing this face since everything I liked always showed some things that I didnt like

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The destruction looks neat, but im not too sure that it really fits with the whole theme. I mean, Jesus, just because your are a supercop, doesn't mean that you should go around blowing everything up Superman style.

You'd probably just end up doing more damage than the people that you are actively trying to kill. Boss in the building? Well, lets just blow it up. Civilian casualties, civilian smasualties.

Webb Myers

May 17, 2010
The campaign mode will almost certainly have a strong incentive to not kill civilians. Like before, you will probably lose experience on your skills (and get nagged by the director) if you kill civilians. Maybe all the gameplay videos are at night so they can say the office buildings are empty.

If there's a PvP multiplayer though, rocket tag is going to get a lot more intense.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
They better not be just releasing another copy paste of the city from the original crackdown again. Crackdown 2 was one of the laziest low effort developed games I have ever seen. Less features then Crackdown 1 and a complete copy paste of the world with some new models put on it.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Laggyteabag said:
The destruction looks neat, but im not too sure that it really fits with the whole theme. I mean, Jesus, just because your are a supercop, doesn't mean that you should go around blowing everything up Superman style.

You'd probably just end up doing more damage than the people that you are actively trying to kill. Boss in the building? Well, lets just blow it up. Civilian casualties, civilian smasualties.
Ya, the setting doesn't fit this new focus on blowing things up. I mean most of the weapons in crackdown are guns. Simple guns that aren't able to take advantage of the destruction system. This system would work better in mercenaries or prototype where mass destruction really fits.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
Oh balls, the words "xbox exclusive" have never caused such distress and self loathing until now. This should be Red Faction's court, where in the hell have they gotten to lately? Just because Armageddon was a huge mistake, that is no reason to give up! Don't make me become a terrorist to ge my kicks, i might lose my pension.

By the way, glad to see the cheese is still strong with these MS American voice-overs. The honey monster would have sold it to me better. Now there's an idea...
That sounds like the original narrator from Crackdown 1. Every time I hear that guy's voice, I'm reminded of the mock macho book on tape from the comedy In & Out.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Shame Microsoft isn't doing with Crackdown 3 what they are doing with Halo Wars 2.

Had this game been announced with a PC release, I'd be intrigued. Not necessarily excited, given how absolutely shit Crackdown 2 was, but at least intrigued. I loved the first game, so I'm at least willing to give a tentative benefit of the doubt on a third entry, but I have zero interest in buying an Xbone.

Oh well. Guess I'll have to try it on a friends Xbone.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
What's with the absolute HATE for Crackdown 2? It had more features, more customization, and more content than Crackdown 1. It fleshed out the world with a lot of story content from collectibles, it added a lot of new vehicles to the game (helicopters!), it added a lot of fun new toys (magnet mines anyone?), it added the wingsuit (amazeballs), it added more powers that you got from leveling up...

it just had more. so yahtzee didn't like it it automatically means it's shit? How does having all around more content with the same basic gameplay equate to shit?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I loved it all the way up until they said they were going to use the cloud for graphics computing. Because you know what that means.

Always online... >_<

Vorpal_Smilodon

Apr 13, 2013
Glad this game isn't vaporware, despite my kneejerk cringe to hear the talk of cloud computing and exclusives. I've got zero hype though, despite loving Crackdown - this game will have to prove itself to me, and likely most other people, on release day.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
josemlopes said:
I dont know, Crackdown seems like the wrong game for this destruction since a lot of the bosses from the first game required the player to find where he was, dodge the hardest enemies in the area and finally kill the guy. Isnt this destruction just going to make the player blow everything in the area untill the target dies? It seems like a very different dynamic that for a game that was just about "kill these 21 guys" it makes it more stale.

Also the city looks like an architectural model since every interior looks empty (actually a lot of the city looks empty, just some vague simple roads with vague simple buildings). I know that it cant have that many details because the tech isnt there yet but maybe this should have been apllied to a new game where it embraced that visual style of being an architectural model (I dont know, you played as a kingpin trying to take over a city violently and build your own buildings on top of the ones you destroyed)

I liked the first Crackdown and this one seems cool, its just that it may end up having a lot of negatives for me since the concept doesnt seem to mix as well as it could.

I ended up during the entire show doing this face since everything I liked always showed some things that I didnt like
I think they will probably introduce some chaos meter, so if you go full Rambo when taking out the bosses, it will count against you. The previous games gave you shit for killing civlians.

Though I'm curious if they're going to follow the plot of CD 2, where at the end:

You learn that the company you work for is the actual evil empire, that you helped put into place. But the rebels that you were fighting, end up with some of the Agent's dna, implying that they are going to clone you and use you to help liberate the city from the Agency.

I'd really like to see that if possible, as I found that a fun twist. Sadly I don't have a new gen console, and don't plan on getting one. So if they never make a PC port, I'll be out of luck, sort of like how i am with the inFamous series.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
To people talking about the destruction, it's for MP only, right? That was my impression.

Blazing Hero said:
They better not be just releasing another copy paste of the city from the original crackdown again. Crackdown 2 was one of the laziest low effort developed games I have ever seen. Less features then Crackdown 1 and a complete copy paste of the world with some new models put on it.

In fairness, the community was asked what they wanted, and they asked for more of Crackdown 1. That's kind of what they got.

Anyway, I posted this to my Facebook yesterday, with the facetious question "aren't you guys regretting getting a PS4 now?"

The answer was "no."

Crackdown is an exclusive that seems awesome in theory, but eh.