Why Are Goats' Eyes That Terrifying Shape?

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Why Are Goats' Eyes That Terrifying Shape?

New research from the University of Berkeley hopes to finally illuminate why different animals develop a variety of eye shapes. The answer appears to do with whether an animal is prey or a predator, but the study has come under criticism.

What is it that makes a house cat's eyes into threatening, vertical slits, makes a human's pupils circular, and turns figured it all out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133278-Goat-Simulator-Launch-Trailer-Is-a-Dead-Ringer-For-Something].

It turns out that pupil shape has a lot to do with where you land on the food chain.

Goats' eyes, which contain horizontal, rectangular pupils, are extremely adapted for peripheral vision. In other words, they are very good at keeping an eye out for predators, and the same is true for numerous other herbivorous ungulates, such as horses and deer.

Goats actually have about 320-degree vision, thanks to their cautious eyes. Humans, for comparison, have 120 degrees of vision.

Vertical slits are uniquely good at depth perception, or for determining precise distance to a target. Unsurprisingly, these types of eyes are found in ambushing predators, such as house cats and alligators. Taller predators, such as lions or human beings, tend to have circle-shaped pupils, which are not really specialized - the theory is that these animals's height grants the same advantage a vertical pupil would.

The New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/science/eye-shape-may-help-distinguish-predator-from-prey.html] set up a gallery of various animal eyes, to give you an idea of what to look for:

[gallery=4506]

One of the most surprising facts revealed by the study is in how the horizontal-eyed animals maintain their peripheral vision, when they typically have to angle their heads to chew on grass.

"When they pitch their head down, their eyes rotate in the head to maintain parallelism with the ground," says Martin Banks, a vision scientists with the university. "And that's kind of remarkable, because the eyes have to spin in opposite directions in the head."

The crazy thing is that nobody had ever noticed this behavior before - at least, it did not appear in any paper the scientists went through.

It seems that the researchers aren't seeing eye to eye with their peers, however. The study [http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/7/e1500391.figures-only] is far from perfect, say critics; chinchillas, to name one example, are a grazing animal with vertical slits.

All this does nothing to quash my totally rational fear of goat eyes. Am I alone in this? I could barely watch The Muppet Show [http://gameora.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/kermit-the-frog-in-the-muppets.jpg]!

Source: Science Advances [http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/science/eye-shape-may-help-distinguish-predator-from-prey.html]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hmmm, weird... I have heard all of this before... but maybe not from a scientist. I think a survivalist told me about eye position on predator vs prey animals, and it just feels like this is an extension of that. But, yay science, as always.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Baresark said:
Hmmm, weird... I have heard all of this before... but maybe not from a scientist. I think a survivalist told me about eye position on predator vs prey animals, and it just feels like this is an extension of that. But, yay science, as always.
It's probably because it's kind of obvious, but this was the first time someone wrote a formalized paper on it.

Also, to the chinchilla thing in the article... Evolution? Duh?
I mean, this is actually really basic and I wonder if there was more to the objection that what the article shows, otherwise it is kind of silly. Evolution always favors whatever trait is most advantageous to the species' current environment. If there is a pressure for chinchillas to develop forward-looking slitted eyes (like how they live in colonies where they have sentries that warn the others of predators, therefore having individuals with better eyesight capable of noticing dangers from a distance is better than everyone having a large cone of vision), then they would develop along those lines. There is nothing mysterious about this.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
....Um...turd in the punch bowl here, but...gaming news?
Like...what? Is the Escapist basically Gawker right now?

Don't get me wrong, fun little read and if my StumbleUpon had linked me I'd had thumb up-ed it. But...Escapist...

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Thank you captain obvious, as others above have stated this is already a known fact. What has been learn't here? University of Berkeley, I suggest studying questions that have not already been answered.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Silentpony said:

Don't get me wrong, fun little read and if my StumbleUpon had linked me I'd had thumb up-ed it. But...Escapist...
Why does these comments appear everytime they post articles in the Science & Tech section of this site, the one that is right up there to the top right of the front page, a section they have had for about three or four years now. They even had a regular Science & Tech podcast!

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
RicoADF said:
Thank you captain obvious, as others above have stated this is already a known fact. What has been learn't here? University of Berkeley, I suggest studying questions that have not already been answered.
If the study has come into question, with a counterexample that does not follow the obvious trend, does that still count as a "known fact?"

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
What I am particularly curious about is the W-shaped cuttlefish eye. I really wonder what kinds of images that forms and what kind of evolutionary advantage it bestows. Goat's eyes are downright mundane in comparison.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Silentpony said:

~sigh~ yes. Notice how the site has 5 subsections? Notice how this article is in the 'science and tech' section?

Honestly, these sections have existed for so long now I can't understand how people are surprised by the site having content that clearly fits with the named subsections of the site.

Next you'll tell me a cosplay article doesn't fit on a gaming site (even though there's a section labelled comics & cosplay, and has been for years.)

The escapist hasn't been strictly gaming stuff in pretty much forever now.

infohippie said:
What I am particularly curious about is the W-shaped cuttlefish eye. I really wonder what kinds of images that forms and what kind of evolutionary advantage it bestows. Goat's eyes are downright mundane in comparison.

That is an odd one. If you consider the round, horizontal, and vertical versions, and what they are optimal for, this seems some weird chaotic hybrid.

Anyway, this is definitely an interesting study, even if some of it seems obvious.
The bit about animals with horizontal slit eyes rotating their eyes in their head was especially weird to see. Not something I ever would have given much thought before. It does make sense, but... Odd to see it happen.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I was going to say that we knew this already, abut apparently everyone knew already that we knew this already.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Interesting observation for sure, not so sure it has much of a solid scientific background.

It is also interesting that we keep talking about evolution in reverse. Goats didn't just wake up one day and decide they need horizontal pupils to survive, it's animals with that genome having an easier time surviving while millions of other species without them got eaten to extinction.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
certainly interesting. a small detail i think lots of people, as my self, didnt really pay attention too.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
infohippie said:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042698913000539

Bow before my Google-fu, plebeian! :p

Seriously thought, it is actually pretty interesting. Apparently it polarizes the light that enters the eye and reduces glare, thus providing better contrast underwater during the day. Quite fascinating.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
An intereting information. I never really paid attention to their eyes before to notice that the slit stay parallel to the ground.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Based on the tone of this article, I'm supposed to be under the impression that it's common to find goat's eyes unsettling, yet this is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to their eyes in such a way.

Personally, I find them adorable.

Mar 26, 2008
Scrythe said:
Based on the tone of this article, I'm supposed to be under the impression that it's common to find goat's eyes unsettling, yet this is the first time I've ever heard anyone refer to their eyes in such a way.

Personally, I find them adorable.
I always thought goat's eyes were designed by Satan himself, but there you go. Yay science! It's interesting to think of humans as apex predators, but it makes total sense. High intelligence + tool construction + advanced problem solving + animal cunning = trouble for pretty much every other animal.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
GabeZhul said:
infohippie said:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042698913000539

Bow before my Google-fu, plebeian! :p

Seriously thought, it is actually pretty interesting. Apparently it polarizes the light that enters the eye and reduces glare, thus providing better contrast underwater during the day. Quite fascinating.
Huh, that is fascinating! Thank you!

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
RicoADF said:
^Yeah, this. Seriously, this is news? I've known this eye stuff since I was six.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
So what about human eyes? Where do they land us on the food chain? What are they specialized for?

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
So what about human eyes? Where do they land us on the food chain? What are they specialized for?
We're Predators mate. Forward Facing and great depth perception were two great things for us when hunting and fighting.