Scientists Agree: Octopuses Are Intelligent, and Might Think Like Us

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Scientists Agree: Octopuses Are Intelligent, and Might Think Like Us

The octopus' genome has been fully sequenced by a team based at the University of Chicago, and the discoveries therein are blowing people's minds.

It's common knowledge now that octopuses - or octopi, or octopodes, if you prefer - are incredibly strange and intelligent animals. cocount shells to build little mobile homes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvjcQIJnLg]. But how did they get so smart - and do they think at all like us?

Researchers from the University of Chicago have just sequenced the genome (published in Nature) [http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v524/n7564/full/nature14668.html] of the eight-armed mollusc, and the findings so far have been providing both answers and questions.

At first, the octopus' genes appeared to have a lot in common with its mollusc relatives, such as snails and clams. One stark area of differentiation, however, was in the expansion of a group of genes associated with brain development, and once thought to be utterly unique to vertebrates.

To put that another way: octopuses are very, very far removed from us on the tree of life - and yet the genes that control their brain development have more in common with similar genes in reptiles, birds, or humans than they do with those of other invertebrates.

[gallery=4519]

This is likely a case of convergent evolution - when two similar adaptations appear despite a a chasm of genetic difference. Wings in birds and insects make one example; the eye, too, was independently developed several dozen times throughout evolution.

Among other fun discoveries made was the part of the octopus genome that controls its translucent skin and adaptive coloration [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136936-Researchers-Create-Cephalopod-Inspired-Camouflage-Technology] - that's where the animal can quickly change its skin color to blend in with surroundings or, some say, to communicate with others of its species.

More awesome octopod news: Adorabilis, the world's cutest octopus! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.877155-Meet-Adorabilis-the-Worlds-Cutest-Octopus]

Man, octopuses are going to take over the world some day. Do you think that, when they do, they'll remake Oldboy and have a scene at the beginning where a starved octopus chows down on a living human being?

Source:Nature [http://news.discovery.com/animals/octopus-genome-sequence-cracks-clever-creatures-code-150814.htm]

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
And now I am thinking of Eclipse Phase (a sci-fi tabletop RPG setting), where sapient, genetically-uplifted octopi are one of the playable species.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
And we thought it was gonna be the dolphins that took over... Blindsided, damn...

In all seriousness now the question is just how intelligent are they?

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Sarge034 said:
And we thought it was gonna be the dolphins that took over... Blindsided, damn...
Jury is still out.

Sarge034 said:
Smart enough to get into jars, not smart enough to get out?
They are absolutely the smartest animal other than man ... which confuses me, because there are plenty of animals not as smart that act smarter. :/

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Sarge034 said:

I can answer that. Extremely-good problem-solving skills, memory, and a general craftiness that goes beyond instinct. One of the earlier tales of surprising octopus intelligence was the old case of the two tanks. Two tanks of water, both covered, one with fishies and one with an octopus. One day, someone noticed there were less fishies in the fish tank than before and wondered why. After some discussion with other employees, they decided to put in a camera and SEE what was going on, because this happening with regular frequency. Camera tells all. The octopus was waiting for closing time and lights out to go and lift its own fish tank lid, crawl out, plop onto the floor, crawl across the floor, climb up the tank, lift the other lid, jump in with the fishies, and eat some before returning in the same fashion. The octopus figured out doors, how to get across a dry room to food, and returned. It was not actually caught doing so by observers, only be a recording device that it could not yet have understood. Because CLEARLY it waited for people to leave.

EDIT: Yes, they can open the jars, either side. In fact, some can squeeze through beer bottlenecks.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
Sarge034 said:
What if they... *gasp* ... join forces? O.O
The Grand Dame had them riding lizardy sea monsters in her book, but I totally am with that ... octopi riding sharks ... on porpoise! (I'm going to hell...)

Sarge034 said:
I thought they could open jars from the inside?
That's the weirdness (very smart ... yet very dumb); you catch octopi by putting down empty jars; they use them as homes, you hall the jars up ... sashimi ensues.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I heard that some of them have the ability to shapeshift into human beings and pretend to be them, especially important political figures.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I for one welcome our new Cephalopod overlords. I'm assuming their first course of order is banning marinara sauce.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Sarge034 said:

So, funny thing you should mention dolphins.

Sapient, genetically-uplifted dolphins are a playable species in Eclipse Phase too. And they get just as many cyborg augmentations as humans or anyone else.

(Okay, technically this is a porpoise, which are also there too. But you get the idea)

Here's a dolphin with cyborg arms

(Eclipse Phase is such a neat, bonkers game-world :D )

As for how intelligent, more than you'd think. A lot of of the really top-tier intelligent animals are. Everyone knows about primates, and some primate species really are quite intelligent, but there are other non-primates that are definitely up there. Octopi, Elephants, Dolphins, Crows, and more.

Crows are especially cool (and underrated). They can actually pass on information indirectly from one generation to the next. A human goes and harasses (or kills) crows, and even several generations down the road the younger crows will still avoid them, or attack them on sight, even if they have never actually seen them do anything to fellow crows. They've been able to solve all sorts of puzzles in captivity (some of which involved modifying supplied materials into tools), and in the wild they have even been known to shape leaves into rudimentary tools for digging insects out of trees.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So we're accepting that much as fact. So that's how many unique species on the planet that have fairly advanced intelligence other than humans? Dolphins, various apes and monkeys, and now octopi.

Really makes it seem like if another planet has life, there is probably intelligent life on it.

It also makes me wonder if there were other species on Earth before us, and not similar to us, that had advanced levels of intelligence. I mean there have been some 3 different mass extinction events on Earth, right? Were there some intelligent animals among them?

FalloutJack said:
Sarge034 said:

I can answer that. Extremely-good problem-solving skills, memory, and a general craftiness that goes beyond instinct. One of the earlier tales of surprising octopus intelligence was the old case of the two tanks. Two tanks of water, both covered, one with fishies and one with an octopus. One day, someone noticed there were less fishies in the fish tank than before and wondered why. After some discussion with other employees, they decided to put in a camera and SEE what was going on, because this happening with regular frequency. Camera tells all. The octopus was waiting for closing time and lights out to go and lift its own fish tank lid, crawl out, plop onto the floor, crawl across the floor, climb up the tank, lift the other lid, jump in with the fishies, and eat some before returning in the same fashion. The octopus figured out doors, how to get across a dry room to food, and returned. It was not actually caught doing so by observers, only be a recording device that it could not yet have understood. Because CLEARLY it waited for people to leave.

EDIT: Yes, they can open the jars, either side. In fact, some can squeeze through beer bottlenecks.
The thing that bugs me is that I thought the octopus brain was very small. I knew they were surprising intelligent despite that, but really didn't think they were so smart that they were able to solve problems. How intelligent could they be? Man, this makes me wonder so much. They obviously recognize certain people, for example.

I also know of a story where they gave several octopi boxes or cans to open. There was no food or anything in the box, it was just to see if it could open it. But what they observed next was very surprising. One of the octopi would aim their water jet at the box making it hit the wall and bounce back. Then, it would catch the box and do it again. And again. It was literally playing "bounce the ball". It was playing purely for the entertainment value. Something that only fairly intelligent animals (think humans, dolphins, and even dogs) do.

OuendanCyrus said:
I heard that some of them have the ability to shapeshift into human beings and pretend to be them, especially important political figures.
What? That's silly. You're silly.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Saltyk said:
So we're accepting that much as fact. So that's how many unique species on the planet that have fairly advanced intelligence other than humans? Dolphins, various apes and monkeys, and now octopi.

Really makes it seem like if another planet has life, there is probably intelligent life on it.

It also makes me wonder if there were other species on Earth before us, and not similar to us, that had advanced levels of intelligence. I mean there have been some 3 different mass extinction events on Earth, right? Were there some intelligent animals among them?
That's actually really difficult to know. If we're talking about intelligent-but-not-sapient species like dolphins, octopi, primates, crows, etc.. then it's basically impossible to know. We're only able to glean so much from fossilized remains, and they wouldn't be smart enough to make proper tools, or leave behind art (assuming stuff like that can even hold up for millions and millions of years anyway).

The Mesozoic era lasted for dang near 200 million years. That is an unfathomable length of time compared to the measly 200,000 or so that homo sapiens has been around as a species (and even we still know precious little about our early history. I'd say that it is almost a certainty that we are missing huge swathes of our planet's history, and that extremely intelligent animals existed throughout Earth's various eras.

If you want to get super freaking out there though. The Sun is only about 4.5 billion years old. The universe is about 14 billion years old from our best estimation. The Sun, 100%, was born from the nebula left behind by another star that lived and died. Did it have planets? Could there have been life? A whole star system born, lived and died before the Sun and everything around it even existed. It's kind of cool to think about.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Saltyk said:
And rats. They're the only non-primate species so far that's been tested to show that they're capable of metacognition- in essence, knowing what you do and don't know prior to applying that knowledge.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
tf2godz said:
So the time of the Squibbon is closer then we think

and that's another edition of obscure reference daily
Ha! The first thing I thought of was Squibbons! Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that.