Meet The Real-Life Flying Spaghetti Monster

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Meet The Real-Life Flying Spaghetti Monster

It turns out the Flying Spaghetti Monster - deity of Pastafarianism - bears a striking resemblance to the deep sea Siphonophore.

Just as life imitates art, apparently evolution imitates web memes and religious satire. Ten years after the social movement <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111624-Pasta-Strainer-Recognized-as-Religious-Headgear-in-Austria>Pastafarianism formed to satirize intelligent design - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_142/3048-In-His-Name-We-Pray-Ramen>largely through tales of a Flying Spaghetti Monster - the internet has stumbled across an actual creature resembling its deity. Located in the deep sea near Angola, the Siphonophore matches the Spaghetti Monster's appearance far more than any deity on toast you've seen recently, promting video footage to quickly spread across the internet.

"This unusual creature has sparked a huge reaction on the internet with over a quarter of a million people watching the video over the last week!" Daniel Jones of the UK National Oceanography Centre said. "The video was sent to me by oil industry ROV pilots through the SERPENT network. It is a great example of how collaboration with industry can allow us to see much more of the deep sea and its strange and wonderful marine life."

Filmed by BP near an oil well, the team had no idea what they were looking at, preferring to call it a Flying Spaghetti Monster. But in reality, the Siphonophorae <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphonophorae>is a marine colony animal made of several distinct organisms - The Escapist highlighted the creature <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/scienceandtech/12418-The-Escapist-s-Strange-Science-Guessing-Game>in our first Strange Science column. This specific example belongs to Bathyphysa conifera, which happens to resemble the Flying Spaghetti Monster just enough to get widespread attention online.

[gallery=4532]

While the Siphonophorae isn't an actual Flying Spaghetti Monster (it needs to fly for a start) it can resemble the Pastafarian icon in other respects. Outside of its noodly appendages, the Siphonophorae can grow to an enormous size, with recorded lengths of 40 meters long.

Still, don't be surprised if this event becomes part of Pastafarian cosmology - presumably the Spaghetti monster is underwater <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster#Pirates_and_global_warming>to find the pirates which can turn global warming around.

Source: <a href=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/is-this-the-flying-spaghetti-monster-siphonophore-filmed-on-seabed-off-the-coast-of-angola-10458665.html>The Independent

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The prophecy is manifesting. Quick, everybody...grab your sporks! Lock away your dessert spoons! Prepare for our descent into snackture! Wok awaits us, I do not know. Fry it is happening now, I could not say. But our time is nigh.

OT: I have not studied the texts or scriptures of this religion, my ignorance is quite obvious. Though I was also unaware that "the internet"was capable of deep sea exploration. Something new learnt everyday!

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Suddenly I don't hate my husband for buying all those FSM stickers and badges any more.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Huh...if they actually found a FSM, that would annoy everyone.
Especially the people who like the Meme since it's supposed to be undetectable.

I guess, by definition, any FSM found, can't be the FSM.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
Ukomba said:
Especially since it's the -Space- Flying Spaghetti Monster. How could a god be a real god without flying in SPACE?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
mtarzaim02 said:
Ukomba said:
Especially since it's the -Space- Flying Spaghetti Monster. How could a god be a real god without flying in SPACE?
Dude, don't piss off Poseidon or you'll be trampled by wild horses.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
oh, well, thats embarrassing now. the "joke" god is more real than the serious one.

Moises Weintraub

Jul 16, 2013
The sea is full of saints. You know that? You know that: you're a big boy.

The sea's full of saints and it's been full of saints for years. Since longer than anything. Saints were there before there were even gods. They were waiting for them, and they're still there now.

Saints eat fish and shellfish. Some of them catch jellyfish and some of them eat rubbish. Some saints eat anything they can find. They hide under rocks; they turn themselves inside out: they spit up spirals. There's nothing saints don't do.

Make this shape with your hands. Like that. Move your fingers. There, you made a saint. Look out, here come another one! Now they're fighting! Yours won.

There aren't any big corkscrew saints anymore, but there are still ones like sacks and ones like coils, and ones like robes with flapping sleeves. What's your favourite saint? I'll tell you mine. But wait a minute, first, do you know what it is makes them all saints? They're all a holy family, they're all cousins. Of each other, and of ... you know what else they're cousins of?

That's right. Of gods.
Alright now. Who was it made you? You know what to say.

Who made you?

-China Mieville
Kraken, an Anatomy

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ukomba said:
mtarzaim02 said:
Ukomba said:
But only wild sea horses, which is...kinda' awkward, really. Oh, but just wait until the next time you want a drink of water. THEN, you're in trouble.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Ukomba said:
mtarzaim02 said:
Ukomba said:
But only wild sea horses, which is...kinda' awkward, really. Oh, but just wait until the next time you want a drink of water. THEN, you're in trouble.
Poseidon is the god of more than just the sea. He's the god of the Sea, Storms, Earth Quakes, and Horses.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ukomba said:
FalloutJack said:
Ukomba said:
mtarzaim02 said:
Ukomba said:
Poseidon is the god of more than just the sea. He's the god of the Sea, Storms, Earth Quakes, and Horses.
I may have missed that. Shame, really. I love mythology and had a couple courses of it in college. Ah well.