8 Franchises that Need the Telltale Games Treatment

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Franchises that Need the Telltale Games Treatment

If Telltale Games is looking for ideas for their next adventure game, our community would humbly suggest they consider these eight franchises.

Read Full Article

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The best Franchise by far would be Archer. The 2.5D design of the show makes it comparatively easy to animate and design in game form, the show is largely driven by character interaction, and the player protagonist is unique in that the emphasis is on being a total dick to your colleagues.

There are other cool innovations you can work into a game adaptation as well - during the quick time events, instead of having instant death as a punishment for failing QTEs, you could have it so that Archer instead sustains a painful injury for each failed QTE prompt, that lasts throughout the episode. Thus letting Archer get the crap beaten out of him becomes not only a valid play decision, but also one that matches the style of the show. Another innovation would be conversations, in that the emphasis would be on smart arse comebacks or passive aggressivism - like dueling in Monkey Island - rather than simply convincing your interlocutors.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Well, at least Fallout 4 is getting the Telltale dialog system going, which for some reason people keep calling Mass Effect's.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The only thing I can think of when it comes to TTG & LoZ:OoT is how that one guy remembers how a kid destroyed the town well by playing a song.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
The star trek one i would pay real money for, I can't see any other game type that would work with star trek, even better if you got a crap tun of money and could do tng with the real actors voices while they are still all alive.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
One 2 hour game every 3-4 months, or whenever they feel like it, using a game engine that is seemingly incapable of running their games anymore.

Nah.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Hey, mine made the list. Still think they should have gone with my Dark Souls suggestion, but whatever works.

In light of Tales from the Borderlands, i feel like their games are better suited to comedy anyway, or at least more open to parody. The mock gunfight in episode 4 of Tales from the Borderlands is the best comedy shootout since Hot Fuzz.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Kingjackl said:
Hey, mine made the list. Still think they should have gone with my Dark Souls suggestion, but whatever works.

In light of Tales from the Borderlands, i feel like their games are better suited to comedy anyway, or at least more open to parody. The mock gunfight in episode 4 of Tales from the Borderlands is the best comedy shootout since Hot Fuzz.
I really liked the idea of comedic Dark Souls, but I know too many fans of the series who might try to hang me up by my entrails for even suggesting it.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Here's a few other franchises that might make interesting Telltale adventure-books, in no particular order:

Spider-Man/The Avengers/X-Men... any comic book, really, it all more-or-less works

Final Fantasy: I'd go with 4, 5, or X

[dot].Hack: an interesting RPG series that never really delivered on its premises, imo. Thrives on the illusion of choice.

Xenosaga: they're practically movies anyway, might as well go whole-hog... and tell the entire story this time!

Magic: the Gathering: so many stories waiting to be expanded and explored... or simply re-told

Devil May Cry: I want to know more about Dante's business and "ordinary" questing; I heard the anime was pretty good...

Dragonball/DBZ: naturally, every conversation should have a "punch it" option.

Batman: ditto.

Super Smash Bros.: Seriously, I think there's enough depth of story here... it worked in "There Will be Brawl"

Robocop: basically The Wolf Among Us already... just with robots instead of werewolves... and dramatically more brutal.

Transformers: Deep story, check. Complex characters, check. Interesting world and premise, check. Desperately in need of revival, check.

Pokemon: actually befriending your fighting pets, literally finding them in the wild, scripted battle/capture sequences... much potential

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
2xDouble said:
Here's a few other franchises that might make interesting Telltale adventure-books, in no particular order:

Transformers: Deep story, check. Complex characters, check. Interesting world and premise, check. Desperately in need of revival, check.
Man, if they can base a game off the More than Meets the Eye Comics, it could be the best thing ever

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
While some series have definitely gotten some mileage from TTG, others kind of uh, went the wrong way very fast. They have a very specific wheelhouse and they can't leave it without more writers.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I've been dying for them to get the Doctor Who license for a long time.

I really want a Doctor Who video game that doesn't suck.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Once upon a time, Telltale said they'd love to do a Mad Men game.
And I'm going to keep bringing it up until they make it.
Which will be never.

Deus Ex would be cool.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
My thoughts on the list.

Deus Ex:HR: Might work. Probably be better to focus one something a little less world devastating than most of DE's plots get. Something focusing on the sidestories you mentioned would probably be best.

Ocarina of Time: Don't think so. It basically sounds like The Walking Dead in Hyrule. It'd basically amount to "Survive until the great hero comes to save us", and I can't really say that sounds too much what people tend to want from Zelda games.

Space Quest: Can't deny it, I'm rather sold on this one. Though I might just be a sucker for good comedy.

Team Fortress 2: Yes. Just yes. More time with The Crew actually just interacting with one another and some time working with the game's rather extensive story? Shut up and take my money!

Ratchet and Clank: No. Just no. The biggest selling point with this series has always been running around and blowing the crap out of everything in sight with a ridiculous arsenal. An adventure game pretty much neuters this series' main selling point. (Plus, we've already got Ratchet's origin story for the most part.) That said, a game focused on the in-universe Secret Agent Clank show might actually work out. Clank's gameplay would lend itself pretty well to the Adventure genre.

Star Trek: No arguments here. Just one question. Original, Next Generation, or it's own thing?

Warcraft: Kind eh, but Lord of Clans keeps me from rejecting it outright. There's a LOT of potential if nothing else.

Fallout: Fuck. Yes. All of my fucks, and all of my yeses. Just take whatever money I have left from the Team Fortress idea while I get some loans from the bank so you can have more. This needs to be a thing.