Hitman - Agent 47 - Did They Even Play the Games?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Hitman - Agent 47 - Did They Even Play the Games?

Hitman: Agent 47 is another bad videogame adaptation - but did anyone expect any different?

Read Full Article

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
If you wanted a Transporter knock off only less good and without Jason Statham, just watch the new Transporter.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yeah, everything I've heard about this one suggest that it's terrible, but due mostly to the fact that it utterly betrays the source material. Pretty much the only thing they got right: he's bald, wears a suit, and has a red tie. Everything else is over-the-top explosions and shootouts...which is absolutely nothing like the game.

That does raise the question, though: do you think they could actually make an enjoyable movie that mirrors the gameplay? Just following a guy sneaking past guards, knocking out the chef to steal his clothes, then infiltrating the mansion and going completely unseen to his target, eliminating them, then getting back out just as steathy? I think that type of movie might be a bit tricky to pull off well.

That said, if you're not going to do it that way, then you really shouldn't bother making a Hitman movie in the first place.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
RJ 17 said:
That does raise the question, though: do you think they could actually make an enjoyable movie that mirrors the gameplay? Just following a guy sneaking past guards, knocking out the chef to steal his clothes, then infiltrating the mansion and going completely unseen to his target, eliminating them, then getting back out just as steathy? I think that type of movie might be a bit tricky to pull off well.

That said, if you're not going to do it that way, then you really shouldn't bother making a Hitman movie in the first place.
There might be a nugget of interesting in approaching it from much the same way it has been suggested to make a Halo film. Don't make Master Chief/Agent 47 the main character. So maybe the film follows someone like a forensic analyst examining these hits, so the audience along with the main character is piecing together these improbable exploits.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, everything I've heard about this one suggest that it's terrible, but due mostly to the fact that it utterly betrays the source material. Pretty much the only thing they got right: he's bald, wears a suit, and has a red tie. Everything else is over-the-top explosions and shootouts...which is absolutely nothing like the game.

I feel The Jackal (or original Day of the Jackal) pulled it off to some extent. I think all the costumes, identities and methods of getting into/out of places that takes place in the game could be used to great effect. Could probably take some pages out of the Bourne franchise playbook as well. In fact, you could still have action scenes, but if you did them more along the lines of Jason Bourne, you could make 47 seem bad ass and brilliant while still emphasizing the fact that hes on his own against (often) very powerful people and can't just stand around shooting everything that moves.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I only knew about this movie 2 weeks before it came out because of the trailer appearing before a movie I was watching, and then suddenly ads started showing up on TV for it. The fact that I hadn't herd anything about it until that was enough to know the studio had virtually no faith in the movie anyway, and everything I learned in the two weeks between learning about the movie and now have only reinforced the idea that it would be terrible.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
That's a shame. The suspense of hitting a target would have been great for film. Especially when it can be done in an Ocean's Eleven supremely complex way.

They really wasted an opportunity here. Again, what a shame.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I think most people called this a while ago. At least it makes the first film seem alright in comparison, right? It has Tea-bag from prison break! Oh and Olyphant.

Stealth and disguise can be directed well into a film I believe. How else do you get those suspense ridden spy movies? I would add that a good idea for nostalgia's sake is; include humourous corpse physics. I don't care how...make it happen, goddamn it!

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Hitman is a hard game to translate into film. The games are all about choice and stealth. Neither are good for movies (except movies about stealth), especially action-based.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Slycne said:
RJ 17 said:

There might be a nugget of interesting in approaching it from much the same way it has been suggested to make a Halo film. Don't make Master Chief/Agent 47 the main character. So maybe the film follows someone like a forensic analyst examining these hits, so the audience along with the main character is piecing together these improbable exploits.
That is actually quite brilliant. Reminds me a little of the first Boondock saints.

"Holy shit how did they kill all these guys chief?! Thoudsands of rounds got fired at them and not a single one hit"

Cut to scene of shootout.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Marter said:
...not that you'll be able to tell, since the action scenes are choppy, busy, and fail to give you even a sense of your bearings, let alone tell you who's doing what to whom. When there are three cuts between someone winding up for a punch and the punch actually happening, you know something's gone wrong.
Ah, good old Chaos Cinema [http://www.openculture.com/2014/01/chaos-cinema-how-21st-century-action-films-became-incoherent.html]. Turning every action scene into "AGGH?! GRAGH?! And...he died somehow." [http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgs7.html]

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, I liked the first Hitman movie, and hoped for a sequel to that. I'm disappointed this didn't even try to recreate the feel of the games.
Xsjadoblayde said:
I think most people called this a while ago. At least it makes the first film seem alright in comparison, right? It has Tea-bag from prison break! Oh and Olyphant.

Stealth and disguise can be directed well into a film I believe. How else do you get those suspense ridden spy movies? I would add that a good idea for nostalgia's sake is; include humourous corpse physics. I don't care how...make it happen, goddamn it!
Don't forget: Olga Kurylenko's boobs. Seeing those is never a bad thing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
Well, I liked the first Hitman movie, and hoped for a sequel to that. I'm disappointed this didn't even try to recreate the feel of the games.
Xsjadoblayde said:

Don't forget: Olga Kurylenko's boobs. Seeing those is never a bad thing.
Hang on, are you seriously claiming a female's boobs within an action film based on a video-game...are nice? Lies and heresy!

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I think one of the worst offences about the Hitman movies is that they couldn't even bother to hire the man that voices Agent 47. David Bateson not only voices Agent 47 but also serves as the character model. Why not hire him instead of some young guys?

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
ron1n said:
RJ 17 said:

I feel The Jackal (or original Day of the Jackal) pulled it off to some extent. I think all the costumes, identities and methods of getting into/out of places that takes place in the game could be used to great effect. Could probably take some pages out of the Bourne franchise playbook as well. In fact, you could still have action scenes, but if you did them more along the lines of Jason Bourne, you could make 47 seem bad ass and brilliant while still emphasizing the fact that hes on his own against (often) very powerful people and can't just stand around shooting everything that moves.
I kinda feel Hitman would make a better like HBO series, where it gets the better slow build up like in the games. Heck most of the episodes could focus on the target and getting to know them while 47 lurks in the background until the final hit at the end. A movie is too short to get into the slow, tension building feel of the Hitman series.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
And 4) 47 sometimes dresses up in other character's costume. (And quickly gets into them too!)

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
piscian said:
Fir the younger crowd you should go watch "2006 Smokin' Aces" if you havent already. It features a ton of assassins and a guy whos constantly changing disguises throughout the film and looks like he's pulled straight out of the hitman videogame.

Huh, this has me curious. That scene looked pretty good, and more in line with a Hitman movie than the spunk-gargle-wee-wee this seems to be.

Although I have to agree with whomever mentioned it before about the following the guys actions from the PoV of an investigator. Kind of like The Bone Collector, or something, or some other forensic cop movie.

rdaleric

Jan 22, 2009
The Plot of Blood Money would make a good film, an interview with a top CIA guy telling hitman's story via flashback