Pokken Tournament Coming to Wii U Worldwide in 2016

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokken Tournament Coming to Wii U Worldwide in 2016

The Japanese arcade-exclusive Pokemon fighting game: Pokken Tournament, is coming to Wii U worldwide.

Today, at the Pokemon World Championships in Boston, The Pokemon Company announced the news that Pokemon fans have been waiting for ever since Pokemon/Tekken hybrid Pokken Tournament [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokken%20tournament?os=%20pokken%20tournament] was revealed last year. Namely, the game, which until now had only been announced as an arcade exclusive in Japan, will be coming to Wii U consoles worldwide in Spring, 2016.

The news came alongside the new trailer you'll see to the right, which reveals a few new playable characters such as Blaziken and Charizard. It also reveals a special Lucha Libre Pikachu costume, which appears to have its own unique fighting moves.

The game is currently only available in select arcade locations in Japan, and only with a set of fighters. The plan seems to be to slowly release new fighters and rotate them into the current arcade machines. Obviously, on the Wii U this system could be accommodated by DLC.

We'll have more news on the English release of the game as it becomes available.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150821005373/en#.VdcoufmqpBe]

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
It's essentially real time pokemon battles, just with a limited cast.

And that's freaking glorious. Instant buy from me, it's everything I've always wanted. Thank you so much Nintendo

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
YESYESYES!!!!!
This just made my day! This is going to be so glorious!!!
Holy shit I can't wait!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Oh yes, glad they're bringing this to the console, looks like my sort of game!

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Hey it's Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm with a Pokemon skin, yippee!

Not sure about this, it looks like fun at first glance, but it looks too distant from the core Pokemon games to enjoy as a Pokemon game and looks like too crummy a fighter to enjoy as a fighter, so this looks more like a novelty game to me, fun for 4-5 rounds but nothing more.

Now about that 3D Pokemon game...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I pretty much want to see Pokemon battle in that form as in Pokemon X, Y etc! Yes I know that's impossible but a man can dream!

Also if I know my Pokemon gender correct, ain't that Libre a female?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Awesome, I was hoping we'd get to play this game, though I'm disappointed there are two unique Pikachus and still no Raichu.

Scarim Coral said:
Ok I pretty much want to see Pokemon battle in that form as in Pokemon X, Y etc! Yes I know that's impossible but a man can dream!

Also if I know my Pokemon gender correct, ain't that Libre a female?
It's cosplay pikachu, it has a different marking (on the tail) than either a male or a female pikachu.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
After Pokken was missing from Nintendo's E3, I was worried the game was never meant to come to consoles. I know most fighting games that appear first in arcades usually get console releases, so fearing it would not was silly. Yet, the fact we had heard nothing about a console version for so long had me concerned. Glad to see I was wrong.

Now how about putting Samurott or Meloetta as a playable character? I would ask for Serperior, but Snivy is already a helper Pokemon. Such wasted potential. :/

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
Kind of crap that a cosplay pikachu gets in when Hawlucha could have perfectly achieved the same role.