The Order of X - Marvel Fan Art Turns Mutants Into Medieval Fantasy

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Order of X - Marvel Fan Art Turns Mutants Into Medieval Fantasy

Nate Hallinan's "The Order of X" fan art recreates a medieval X-Men team you'll wish appeared in Secret Wars.

We're pretty big on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fan%20art?os=fan+art>fan art here at The Escapist, especially the kind <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140547-Marvel-Fan-Art-Turns-Avengers-Into-Dark-Fantasy-Superheroes>which completely reimagines a core concept. Not only is it a fantastic diversion, sometimes the designs are so wonderful you'll wish the new characters had their own series. Well, since it's Friday and Marvel's Secret Wars is underway, why not check out Nate Hallinan's "The Order of X"? This X-Men collection brings Marvel's favorite mutants to a medieval fantasy world where mutants are treated as outcast monsters and sorcerers.

The Order of X redesigns nine X-Men as figures who - even with their powers - wouldn't be entirely out of place in Game of Thrones or Dragon Age. What's more impressive is that Hallinan went a step further and created believable backstories for each reimagined character.

Lord Xavier was paralyzed in an encounter with a black dragon, but survived to open his lands to gifted individuals. Lady Grey is a formidable archer who clashed with her parents over "unladylike behavior". Colossus is a blacksmith who closely resembles the materials of his family trade. Wolve'rüne is a dwarf cast out from his clan, and Nightcrawler was raised by a band of elves.

The full line-up also includes Cyclops, Stormbringer, Beast, and Psylocke, each of whom fits the theme wonderfully. I don't know if Marvel would take Hallinan up on developing these characters, but I'm still sorely tempted to bring them into a fantasy tabletop game.

[gallery=4570]

Source: Nate Hallinan

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
So this is basically Marvel 1602 for the mutants. It's interesting, but nothing I haven't seen before in the comics themselves due to the absurdity comics have at times, especially the elseworld ones.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'd read a comic based on these concepts, but I wonder if I'm the only one. Then again I'm a big fan of this kind of thing...

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know about Marvel 1602 (which is really good), I meant a more fantasy-based story. Sorry for the confusion.

Monoclebear

Robot enthusiast
Sep 29, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
I'd read a comic based on these concepts, but I wonder if I'm the only one. Then again I'm a big fan of this kind of thing...
That does actually exist, the comic is called Marvel 1602, and is pretty good in my opinion.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Psylock has gone very assassins creed. I quite like Yorick Beastnson.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
piscian said:
I don't think Wolverine would have steel/admantium claws? That seems like too modern an invention. I think they should have done is given him more gnarley looking metal claws like wizards work.
With cross-guards. Then Disney can make it into a film to re-ignite the 'those crossguards wouldn't work' arguements! :p

Apr 17, 2009
I'd say this was more Marvel 1302 than Marvel 1602 guys. Going for a more Medieval rather than Tudor vibe.

I quite like Beast's feet. Most of the time he just seems to be given regular almost human-looking feet, but here you can tell they're supposed to be as prehensile as his hands

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Marvel, get working on making this. Cause I wanna read this... like now.

Edit: 1602 is close, but I want an actual medieval story to pop up in the Marvel Universe.