Ash vs. Evil Dead Trailer is a Bloody-Good Time

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Ash vs. Evil Dead Trailer is a Bloody-Good Time

Hail to the king, baby! Bruce Campbell is back and he's brought his boomstick in the blood-soaked trailer for Starz's Ash vs. Evil Dead

It's been 23 long years since Bruce Campbell last chewed all of the scenery as Ash, the one-armed, deadite-slayer from the cult classic Evil Dead series, but finally, the hero from the sky has returned!!

We may still be a few months out from the premiere of Ash vs. Evil Dead on the Starz network, but if this trailer released over the weekend is any indication, Ash's return will be well worth the wait. The official synopsis of the upcoming season comes to us via Starz:

"Ash vs Evil Dead" is the long-awaited follow-up to the classic horror film franchise The Evil Dead. The 10-episode first season of the half-hour series executive produced by Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and Bruce Campbell, the original filmmakers of the franchise, and Craig DiGregorio, who will serve as executive producer and showrunner.

The cast is led by Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, "Burn Notice") in the role of Ash Williams, Lucy Lawless ("Salem," "Spartacus") as Ruby a mysterious figure who believes Ash is the cause of the Evil outbreaks, Ray Santiago ("Touch," Meet the Fockers) as Pablo Simon Bolivar, an idealistic immigrant who becomes Ash's loyal sidekick, Dana DeLorenzo (A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas) as Kelly Maxwell, a moody wild child trying to outrun her past and Jill Marie Jones ("Sleepy Hollow") as Amanda Fisher, a disgraced Michigan State Trooper set to find our anti-hero Ash and prove his responsibility in the grisly murder of her partner.

My only issue with this gloriously over-the-top trailer? It's too clean. I don't mean in the visceral sense, obviously -- there's enough blood and guts packed into these 60 seconds to satiate even the most diehard gorehound. I mean in the cinematic sense. The big appeal of the Evil Dead series -- aside from the intentionally hammy acting and Gallagher-esque FX -- was the low budget aesthetic of the films themselves. While it's understandable that Starz can't simply turn back the clock and shoot everything in the grainy, independent style of the original, the digital wash of this trailer just doesn't fit for me, especially considering they brought in original Evil Dead visionary Sam Raimi to direct the pilot.

Ash vs. Evil Dead premieres on Halloween night on Starz.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh God damn it Bruce! What part of "Don't ruin what little career you have left by taking a straight up nose-dive into a nostalgic pool so dried up and sandy Dick Cheney wants to bomb it!" didn't you understand?

We get it! You were kinda' popular and funny. Once. 20 years ago. Take a hint from Sin City 2. Waiting too long and hoping you still have the goods never ends well.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Silentpony said:
Oh God damn it Bruce! What part of "Don't ruin what little career you have left by taking a straight up nose-dive into a nostalgic pool so dried up and sandy Dick Cheney wants to bomb it!" didn't you understand?

We get it! You were kinda' popular and funny. Once. 20 years ago. Take a hint from Sin City 2. Waiting too long and hoping you still have the goods never ends well.
What are you talking about? This looks freakin' amazing.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Silentpony said:

What are you talking about? This looks freakin' amazing.
Agreed, this is probably going to be one of the best shows of 2015, Halloween can't come fast enough for me. Even if it's not good, just the camp alone makes it worth watching.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
There is nothing about this series idea that I don't love.

Seriously, it looks like they have the visuals of the deadites and the campy charm combined with the horror of the old movies down pat.

I even enjoyed the more modern remake of the movie so this one should be even better.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
This trailers has been on IMDB for at least... I want to say 2 weeks now.

Silentpony said:

Really? I thought he was quite good in Burn Notice as the quirky sidekick.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Silentpony said:

Personally, I like Bruce's work. And I mean pretty much all of it. He brings personality to whatever it is he's doing. He's a good actor. He's done alot of the B-level, but he's done the A-level too. His movies are fun to watch and his work in Burn Notice was great.

But it comes down to this... Do I like Evil Dead, the whole schtick? YES. Do I like Bruce Campbell in it, with his acting and humor? YES. Does an Evil Dead series with Bruce Campbell in it make me enthusiastic? MOST DEFINITELY. This is what any fan is probably thinking. Evil Dead is cult popular, as is the be-chinned actor. Don't piss on the happy parade.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
On one hand the last thing we need is another nostalgia fueled remake. Create Some original IPs already.

On the other hand... yes that does look like something I'd watch.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
JaredJones said:
My only issue with this gloriously over-the-top trailer? It's too clean. I don't mean in the visceral sense, obviously -- there's enough blood and guts packed into these 60 seconds to satiate even the most diehard gorehound. I mean in the cinematic sense. The big appeal of the Evil Dead series -- aside from the intentionally hammy acting and Gallagher-esque FX -- was the low budget aesthetic of the films themselves. While it's understandable that Starz can't simply turn back the clock and shoot everything in the grainy, independent style of the original, the digital wash of this trailer just doesn't fit for me, especially considering they brought in original Evil Dead visionary Sam Raimi to direct the pilot.
I've been following this--Bruce is known by all of my friends as my "man crush". When these guys (Campbell, Raimi x2 & Tapert) sat down at Comic-Con in San Diego for a panel, they talked about production. 9 episodes had been filmed at that point. Many had different directors. So, I bet you get some differences in style, feel and pacing. I think Raimi is only directing one. Lucy Lawless is on board for three episodes (IMDB now says 10?) as Ruby Knowby--a descendent of Professor Raymond Knowby who found the Necronomicon. Because why not team up Autolycus and Xena (or Sam Axe & Evelyn?) again. She blames Ash for all of the Deadite problems. I'm expecting a good run of this series. The creators/actors are hoping for maybe 5 seasons and a possible movie tie in to the most recent Evil Dead movie where Ash has a cocky "mentor" role. I'm on the fence about that one. Fingers crossed.

Extended trailer:
Since Army of Darkness, Bruce has actually learned how to act a bit. His delivery is easy and his comedic timing looks good. I think this is one of the seven signs of Armageddon.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Oh my! My dick is so erect right now (no offense to anyone). I have DREAMED of this for so SO SO long.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Silentpony said:

Are you even familiar with his work? He has like two films where he straight up plays on the fact he was a B movie cult star, and a book doing similar.

I mean I get you might mean it in a general sense that its a negative trend. But Bruce has specifically built a career around it. I guess he's the exception to the rule or whatever.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
this actually looks silly enough to be really good. ok, i will watch it. my wife actually enjoyed the originals and the newest one, so i think she will join me on this.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Hmm ... going with the S-mart ending of Army of Darkness, then? I always liked the Director's Cut ending myself.

Either way I think I need to marathon the Evil Dead movies before this comes out. :)

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Wow this looks great. Schlock, gore, lowbrow jokes - all the good stuff. I know this is probably the last hurrah for Bruce and Sam to work together like this, so I hope this is as good as it looks!

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Oh yes please. Finally now I don't have to be sad with the fact that Army of Darkness was the follow up movie to two. Just...what the hell was Army of Darkness...you know besides cringe worthy.