Horrified Residents of Spennymoor, England are Battling a Maggot Invasion

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Horrified Residents of Spennymoor, England are Battling a Maggot Invasion

A massive, seemingly overnight infestation of maggots has left residents of Spennymoor, England trapped in their homes and experts baffled as to the cause. Yuck.

Question: What's the most disgusting thing you've ever had to deal with as a homeowner? A colony of rats? Black mold, maybe? An indian burial ground in your backyard? Well how about waking up one morning to find AN ARMY OF MAGGOTS AT YOUR DOORSTEP?

That's exactly the kind of horror-movie scenario that select residents of Spennymoor, England have been faced with following a inexplicable invasion of maggots in their gardens and homes.

According to The Northern Echo [http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13621335.Residents__horror_as_thousands_of_maggots_invade_Spennymoor_homes/], it all started a little over a week ago when Melanie Hubbard of Flora Street let her dog outside before going to bed. Upon doing so, she noticed what could only be described as a "carpet" of yellow creatures advancing toward her home from her garden. After spending hours bleaching and jet washing her property to no effect, Hubbard watched helplessly as the maggots spread into her kitchen.

"There were thousands of them and I couldn't see the yard, the bench or any of the toys - it was like something out of a horror film." said Hubbard.

"There were about 200 of them in my kitchen just crawling around - on the floor, on the windows and up the walls. It made my skin crawl and I couldn't even sleep for the first few nights - everytime I felt something on me in bed I just thought it was a maggot."

(*tries not to think of [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHvWoDB-PYo]*) (*fails*) (*vomits*)

With each passing day, the problem is getting more and more out of hand. Hubbard's neighbors on Flora and Edward Street have reported maggots crawling out of the sewers in droves, and even worse, a recent storm has spread the creatures -- which thrive in cool, damp areas -- even further.

Kayla Leigh Seymour of Craddock Street told reporters that "There were thousands in my yard and they were climbing up my door and into my house. I had to block the bottom of the door with a tea towel and I daren't open the windows."

The experts at Northumbria Water are baffled by the influx of maggots, even after having conducted a survey of the sewage systems of the affected area. Rumor has it, however, that a dog that was disposed of in the sewers might be to blame.

I reached out to Northumbria earlier today to offer my own solution to the maggot attack (which would make for an awesome metal band name), but unfortunately, they said that "lighting the entirety of County Durham aflame was not a feasible option."

Source:The Northern Echo [http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/13621335.Residents__horror_as_thousands_of_maggots_invade_Spennymoor_homes/]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I was wondering why I hadn't seen this title anywhere in my morning news articles, until getting to the source; "The Mirror." Yup, nothing to expect here other than shallow clickbait. Maggots are not our problem, it's our politicians and their buddies, the tabloids. Also that jet plane crash on the motorway is far worse news.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What I don't get is A) where are all the birds and larger insects? Surely this much be an all-you-can-eat buffet.
And B) what, does no one have a single can on insect repellent? Raid? Something?! You don't need to kill them all, just create a line of poison they can't cross.

Also I'm calling bullshit on literally thousands upon thousands of maggots leaving their nice rotting dog corpse home just to fuck with some old ladies.

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
I was wondering why I hadn't seen this title anywhere in my morning news articles, until getting to the source; "The Mirror." Yup, nothing to expect here other than shallow clickbait. Maggots are not our problem, it's our politicians and their buddies, the tabloids. Also that jet plane crash on the motorway is far worse news.
Is the Mirror known for that kind of clickbait nonsense? I'm not too familiar with British publications, but have changed the source to a more "legit" one, if that helps.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
JaredJones said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Is the Mirror known for that kind of clickbait nonsense? I'm not too familiar with British publications, but have changed the source to a more "legit" one, if that helps.
There are a few to be wary of, as with any country i'd imagine. But certainly The Mirror doesn't have a great reputation here for various understandable reasons. The Northern Echo I know little about, but that is already a marked improvement, thankyou! ;)
To be fair, I wouldn't know much of what media Americans find trustworthy either. :)

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
About 20 mins from where I live by car. I will have to ask my local family if they have seen anything of it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
JaredJones said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Well if it helps in future avoid The Mirror, The Sun and especially The Daily Mail.

Those three will frontpage anything if it thinks itll get them more sales, and are not above fudging the truth while theyre at it.

Also, reminded of this video;

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
What is there like a mass open grave somewhere that no one can find? How could one dog have that many maggots? I'm calling bullshit.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
There is no feasible way all of those maggots (as it's described) could come from a single corpse of a dog. I have seen dead, rotten, bloated animals (yay for some summers in West Virginia when i was a kid), and there is no way the number of maggots mentioned could come from that.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Glongpre said:
What is there like a mass open grave somewhere that no one can find? How could one dog have that many maggots? I'm calling bullshit.
It could be a BIG dog. Think Mastiff. That's ALOT of canine.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Apperently people in Spennymoor has in the panic forgotten than maggots are in fact mortal and could be killed and does not have free reign to go where they please.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Glongpre said:
Its a coverup, Clifford the big red dog died and they don't want the kids to know. Think of the children!!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
FalloutJack said:
Glongpre said:
Its a coverup, Clifford the big red dog died and they don't want the kids to know. Think of the children!!
Hahahaha, I think that is the only way this many maggots could have come from one dog. You may be on to something...

But what could the residents of Spennymoor gain from killing such a lovable dog?