Divinity - Original Sin's Ambitious Sequel is Live on Kickstarter

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Divinity - Original Sin's Ambitious Sequel is Live on Kickstarter

Divinity: Original Sin, one of 2014's best games, is getting a fully-fledged sequel and the Kickstarter is well under way.

RPG fans, including many of us at The Escapist, were enamored with Larian Studio's hit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132224-Larian-Studios-Helps-Divinity-Fan-Propose-To-His-Girlfriend], Divinity: Original Sin, so it should come as no surprise that a sequel to the out-of-the-box RPG is already in development.

Though Larian has already funded the game themselves, no doubt thanks to the impressive sales of its predecessor, the Belgian studio is returning to Kickstarter to gain even more capital from fans of the series. No stretch goals have been announced as of yet, but at the time of writing the campaign's goal has nearly been reached so we'll likely hear something soon.

Likely contributing to its success is the announcement that every backer will gain access to the alpha and beta as they become available.

The features list on hoping to see in the follow-up [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2?ref=hero]?

Some of the bullet points that seem especially interesting: in multiplayer, up to four players can play together, either cooperatively or competitively - meaning that, like the best RPGs, not all party members have quite the same goals. There's a new dialogue system, too, and it looks like they've done a lot of writing here - conversations will be different based on who is doing the talking; a welcome addition to any role playing game.

We've put together a gallery of some of the screenshots and concept art Larian has put out already:

[gallery=4583]

What do you guys think? I know there are a lot of fans of the first game out there - is the sequel going in the direction you were hoping for?

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2?ref=hero]

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I really need to get back into the first one. I just got it recently and only played for like, thirty minutes. Most of it spent trying to figure out the controls.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
And here I am, just sitting here, wanting a return to the massive and varied spell variety one had with Neverwinter Nights and NWN2. Level 8 and 9 spells especially were so awesome and satisfying to wield.

But yeah. Just never really saw all that again in another game...

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
And here I am, just sitting here, wanting a return to the massive and varied spell variety one had with Neverwinter Nights and NWN2. Level 8 and 9 spells especially were so awesome and satisfying to wield.

But yeah. Just never really saw all that again in another game...
You should look up "Sword Coast Legends", it seems to be basically Neverwinter Nights 3, in D&D Fifth Edition. The game's forums say the level cap is at 20, so expect as much blasting as 5th edition allows.

Three caveats.
-First, there'll only be 6 classes available at launch, more will almost certainly come with DLC.
-Second, only 5 races for PCs at launch; expect some DLC.
-Third, there'll be a multiplayer versus mode; the DM vs a party. Be mindful that the use of Beholders for the DM is locked behind a paywall, limited to preorders or DLC.

So yeah, Neverwinter Nights 3 Gold Edition. As in, we want actual gold for this game edition.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
This reminds me: I really must play the original. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and many people say it's better than Wasteland 2 (which I absolutely adored, flaws be damned).

Still, It's a crime this has gotten more money than the giant robot kickstarter. THEY ARE BUILDING A REAL LIFE MECHA SUIT AND ARE GOING TO PUNCH OTHER MECHA WITH IT! Go fund that!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Wiggum Esquilax said:
You should look up "Sword Coast Legends", it seems to be basically Neverwinter Nights 3, in D&D Fifth Edition. The game's forums say the level cap is at 20, so expect as much blasting as 5th edition allows.

Three caveats.
-First, there'll only be 6 classes available at launch, more will almost certainly come with DLC.
-Second, only 5 races for PCs at launch; expect some DLC.
-Third, there'll be a multiplayer versus mode; the DM vs a party. Be mindful that the use of Beholders for the DM is locked behind a paywall, limited to preorders or DLC.

So yeah, Neverwinter Nights 3 Gold Edition. As in, we want actual gold for this game edition.
It looks pretty good so far... They're not doing the full roster of races and classes though because it looks like they want to keep their team small and light. So naturally, some cuts to the massive base content of current DnD will have to be made. However they do want to polish and deeply develop what they are going to keep so... It depends on how you look at it.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I am not usually one to say this, but: MOTHERFUCKING TOTES AMAZEBALLS!

I loved the forst one, even past it's annoying complications, and will love to jump back into it once the new one is out. I may even get the enhanced edition for the first one, if it rids it of all the things I had issues with before!

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I am not usually one to say this, but: MOTHERFUCKING TOTES AMAZEBALLS!

I loved the forst one, even past it's annoying complications, and will love to jump back into it once the new one is out. I may even get the enhanced edition for the first one, if it rids it of all the things I had issues with before!
The Enhanced Edition is free for anyone with the first game, so you don't have to worry about picking it up :D

OT:I'm really happy that this has been funded already and hope the extra funds let them expand even further.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Kickstarter complete in 12 hours, half a million in the pocket... Just wow...
They're one of the few to actually deliver on their kickstarter and more, so I'm happy for them.

Angry Joe published a preview of the game with the developers today (link [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63-ws3_jhx0]). The amount of options available to twist the story around for co-op mode seem mind-blowing. Unprecedented in gaming even I think (except possible text-driven games).