The Witcher 3 Sold Six Million Copies In Six Weeks

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
The Witcher 3 Sold Six Million Copies In Six Weeks

The Witcher 3 sold six million units in six weeks, making it a contender for 2015's best-selling game.

It should come as no surprise that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10161-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Review>The Witcher 3 is one of the most critically acclaimed games seen this year. Between its massive world, robust monster-slaying combat, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140919-2-New-The-Witcher-3-Free-DLC-Packs-Launch-This-Week>comprehensive free DLC updates, The Witcher 3 would naturally win the hearts of many gamers. But that doesn't make the actual sales figures any less mind-boggling. According to developer CD Projekt RED, The Witcher 3 sold six million units in a mere six weeks, making it 2015's best-selling game so far, not to mention the fourth best-selling Western RPG.

Of course, this news is all the more surprising considering CD Projekt's history. Founded in 2002, the company was a game development underdog <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129462-The-Witcher-2-Was-Almost-Never-Developed>that came incredibly close to folding in 2009. Thankfully, CD Projekt's The Witcher 2 and DRM-free games service GOG.com made it a strong contender in the industry. Now classic Elder Scrolls games, which once set the bar for sprawling RPG worlds, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142128-Elder-Scrolls-Fallout-Doom-Release-on-GOG>are being re-released on CD Projekt's digital platform.

So what's next for CD Projekt RED? Having finished its Witcher trilogy, the team can now turn its attention to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131612-CD-Projekt-Cyberpunk-Will-Be-A-True-RPG>Cyberpunk 2077. Which is good, because The Witcher 3 is so enormous most gamers probably won't complete it fully until 2077 anyway.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-elevates-cd-projekt-red-to-stardom-with-6-million-units-sold-34559>Game Revolution

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Good to hear, I'm getting this game for my birthday in three days time, hoping it's as good as they say it is :)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
EA and Ubisoft execs must be rubbing their eyes in disbelief how a game without any DRM managed to sell so many copies.
"Good" DRM is the key to selling games, after all.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010

Damn right it did!

The witcher 3 is probably one of the best videogames of all time, and there is a sad feeling in my chest rising that I will never experience such a brilliant, wonderful, beautiful tale filled with so much content, characters and joy in one videogame again.

We salute you witcher! Geralt approves of its success!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Proud to be a part of it! I hope CD Projekt can not only compete with the big out-of-touch corporations, but show them how to connect with their audience and deliver games with less cynical anti-consumer practices. Bring on the cyberpunk!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You mean a game released with minimal DRM sold 6 million copies?

No, I shan't believe it, gamers cannot be trusted to buy a product they could pirate instead, you can place no faith in them and the only way to guarantee sales is to constantly and pointedly interject with checks and balances to make sure they are giving you money.

Everyone knows that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So what you're saying is it was a financial flop and they won't be making any more because they needed to sell 100 billion copies to make a profit.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Now we include the 95% piracy rate that one guy from Ubisoft mentioned once.

That means The Witcher 3 was actually played 120 million times.
That means roughly every German AND every Pole own this game.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Fanghawk said:
Between its massive world, robust monster-slaying combat, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140919-2-New-The-Witcher-3-Free-DLC-Packs-Launch-This-Week>comprehensive free DLC updates, The Witcher 3 would naturally win the hears of many gamers.
The Witcher 3 would naturally win the hears of many gamers.
win the hears
What's this supposed to be? Hearts? Ears? The world may never know.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
This is all well and good, but I really just want them to make Cyberpunk. I'm dying for an immersive, open world AAA cyberpunk game. Sorry, shadowrun ain't doing it for me. Neither is Deus Ex. Give me some meat. I'm a little tired of fantasy.

Seriously, the wait for this is going to be painful. Especially since I know they can deliver.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
as stated earlier: EA and ubisoft must be utterly in disbelieve that this game sold millions in such a short time without any DRM and all that.
certainly damn good on CD red but i keep on waiting for the full stuff. so i guess next year i should be able to get it. damn. already a bunch of games im eager to get next year.

animeh1star1a

Nov 7, 2012
Tiamat666 said:
EA and Ubisoft execs must be rubbing their eyes in disbelief how a game without any DRM managed to sell so many copies.
"Good" DRM is the key to selling games, after all.
Actually no. They won't care because this game doesn't exist. The Witcher, Portal, Half-life 2, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Dota, League of Legends, and many more don't exist. There is only Clash of Clans, Candy Crush, and Call of Duty.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Mn. That's kinda surprising considering how broken it is, this thing is less cohesive then a Bethesda game.

I mean, the world is gorgeous the visuals pretty awesome, but the combat, and narrative is pretty bad in-so-far.

But still, i'm glad. It's rough, but lovingly crafted and it shows, and i'm way too excited for a Cyberpunk game.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Fox12 said:
This is all well and good, but I really just want them to make Cyberpunk. I'm dying for an immersive, open world AAA cyberpunk game. Sorry, shadowrun ain't doing it for me. Neither is Deus Ex. Give me some meat. I'm a little tired of fantasy.

Seriously, the wait for this is going to be painful. Especially since I know they can deliver.
You and me both man, but luckily I'm easily pleased so Deus Ex will keep me going for a while.

OT: this is good to hear, I don't even like The Witcher but I can respect its developer's approach and I'm glad to see it has been rewarded.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
Huh, its almost as if treating your customers with respect and dedicating yourself to the production of a good product actually... Pays off? Who would have thought. I bought Witcher 3 day one, no regrets, still fucking playing the thing. Spectacular game. I've found a few bugs, all tolerable. Combats good enough, story's good enough, graphics are spectacular... I won't go so far as to say I'll be playing when fallout 4 comes out, but I certainly won't be forgetting about the Witcher all the same.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
JoJo said:
Good to hear, I'm getting this game for my birthday in three days time, hoping it's as good as they say it is :)
Its probably better. It will sail into my top games of all time list along titans like BG2. It is a fantastic RPG in EVERY sense of the word. The combat is fun, the graphics are tear-inducingly good, the design on everthing from houses to armor and weapons is stellar, the music is wonderful...the scale...is HUGE....

When you compare it to what is probably the closest contender, DA:I, Witcher 3 is so much better its a wonder the entire EA staff doesnt just commit harakiri in shame.

I havent finished Witcher 3 yet, but after what must be at least 20-30 hours of playtime I can still be absolutely floored in wonder of the spectacular world they've built. I hope you have a good PC, this game deserves it.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Good! It's an excellent game and I hope it continues to sell well. I just finished it myself and it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. You can really tell there was a lot of thought and care put into it. An extremely cathartic cleanse of the pallet after the soulless heap of copypasted side missions and shoddy craftsmanship that was Dragon Age: Inquisition.