One Billion People Used Facebook In A Single Day

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
One Billion People Used Facebook In A Single Day

Mark Zuckerberg has confirmed that one in seven people used Facebook's social media platform last Monday.

What did you do on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/facebook>Facebook last Monday? Share a funny video? Get in touch with relatives? Whatever it was, you absolutely weren't alone. For the first time, over one billion people logged into Facebook on a single day. That's 1/7th of Earth's population sharing content, chatting with friends, and commenting on the latest posts.

Mark Zuckerberg himself confirmed the information via a Facebook post - naturally. " On Monday, 1 in 7 people on Earth used Facebook to connect with their friends and family," he wrote. "When we talk about our financials, we use average numbers, but this is different. This was the first time we reached this milestone, and it's just the beginning of connecting the whole world."

Facebook reached <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119958-Facebook-Reaches-One-Billion-Active-Users>one billion active users in 2012, but that didn't mean everyone was logging in at the same time. Usually half of Facebook's users only check in once a month instead of arriving en masse. It's actually kind of impressive that Facebook's service didn't suffer any slowdowns - at least none that I noticed.

But what's really amazing is imagining this number could easily be surpassed one day. Facebook's prevalence in the tech world continues to grow, especially <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138282-Facebooks-Long-Term-Oculus-Rift-Strategy>with hardware like Oculus Rift on the way, and shows little sign of slowing down.

Source: <a href=https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10102329188394581?pnref=story>Facebook, via <a href=http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34082393>BBC

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
"One billion active users" doesn't equal one billion different people.

Until I see some hard data about bots and people with multiple accounts...well.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
It's funny; with everyone I know, usage of Facebook has decreased over time. I guess my friends are terrible indicators of everything.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I believe it was last summer when Facebook went down for a couple hours and absolute hysteria broke out. As I recall, some people actually started calling the police...the nature of their emergency? "I CAN'T GET ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
"One billion active users" doesn't equal one billion different people.

Until I see some hard data about bots and people with multiple accounts...well.

What are you expecting? That the real number is "only" 950 million?

Why are we all so desperate to be unimpressed?

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
lacktheknack said:

I don't speak for everyone, but I don't like people making such bold claims without the data to back it up.

If something sounds questionable, and I don't see a source besides one dude saying so, I'm gonna call bullshit until he can prove me wrong.

After all, you can say anything you want on the internet, regardless of whether or not you checked your facts.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
lacktheknack said:

I don't speak for everyone, but I don't like people making such bold claims without the data to back it up.

If something sounds questionable, and I don't see a source besides one dude saying so, I'm gonna call bullshit until he can prove me wrong.

After all, you can say anything you want on the internet, regardless of whether or not you checked your facts.
How much do you want them to back up their facts though? This is pretty much directly from the only source there ever can be. Do you expect Facebook to hand over their active user data to a third party so that they can crunch the numbers and say "yep, that's 1 billion right there."?
If you check the Q2 results (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-reports-second-quarter-2015-results-300120747.html), they report:
Daily active users (DAUs) ? DAUs were 968 million on average for June 2015, an increase of 17% year-over-year.
Since those 968 million are on average, they've probably had daily spikes way higher that are pretty close to 1 billion. Why lie about reaching those last few millions?

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
NLS said:
How much do you want them to back up their facts though? This is pretty much directly from the only source there ever can be. Do you expect Facebook to hand over their active user data to a third party so that they can crunch the numbers and say "yep, that's 1 billion right there."?
If you check the Q2 results (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-reports-second-quarter-2015-results-300120747.html), they report:
Daily active users (DAUs) ? DAUs were 968 million on average for June 2015, an increase of 17% year-over-year.
Since those 968 million are on average, they've probably had daily spikes way higher that are pretty close to 1 billion. Why lie about reaching those last few millions?
Well, I'd like to see them release an estimate on the number of bots, multiple accounts, and single-purpose like accounts that aren't actually real people. I'm not certain they're even bothering to take that into consideration, despite the fact that it is bound to be a significant chunk of logins.

They explicitly said that over one billion people logged in. I find that hard to believe, given that the selling of Facebook likes is a thing, and that I'm confident that there are lots of people who have multiple accounts that they use for various reasons. So, that's either a little white lie for publicity, Zuckerberg isn't bothering to check his facts, or both.

But in the end, it's wrong to mislead your consumers, intentionally or otherwise.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Is that a good thing? I'm not sure it is. It doesn't SOUND good. It sounds like people may have too much free time and not enough to do in a day with it.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Is that a good thing? I'm not sure it is. It doesn't SOUND good. It sounds like people may have too much free time and not enough to do in a day with it.
At least they are staying off your lawn.

OT:
I guess I was one of them.
I usually scroll through my facebook app a few times a day.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
A person using facebook is one person less being stupid in front of me so good. And given the average content of a facebook post, it looks like i got rid of the worst ones.

RJ 17 said:
I believe it was last summer when Facebook went down for a couple hours and absolute hysteria broke out. As I recall, some people actually started calling the police...the nature of their emergency? "I CAN'T GET ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!"
I remmeber when last year google went down for half and hour allegedly due to "bug in software update" (but we all know it was skynet 0.1 booting in, obviously) the same thing happened. People seem to be very addicted to those nowadays.