8 of the Coolest Swords Ever Seen in a Videogame

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Coolest Swords Ever Seen in a Videogame

There have been a lot of memorable swords in videogames over the years, but these eight are some of the coolest.

Read Full Article

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Purely on cosmetics, Guild Wars 2's legendary greatswords, Sunrise, Twilight, and Eternity are amazing. Bolt, the one-handed sword, isn't too bad either, come to think of it.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I still love Dhylec, Donovan's sword from Darkstalkers' Revenge.
That sword is just hilarious.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Dawnbreaker in Skyrim. Given how many undead are in the game, it's really handy.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
So, does the Buster Sword get a pass simply because it's in FF VII? Come on, it's just a slab of metal. The gunblade in FF VIII was stupid, but still cooler than that.

Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker could've been mentioned. Or Castlevania's Claimh Solais. Hell, even Dante's sword, Rebellion. There are countless video game swords that are cooler than the source of Cloud's lower back problems.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about Soul Reaver. How could any list of video game swords be complete without Kain's iconic weapon?

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Come on. You include overdesigend nonsense like Soul Edge, but not a minimalistic and cool two-handed death dealer such as...
"Soul Reaver, Kain's ancient blade. Older than any of us and a thousand times more deadly. For all our bravado, we new what it meant when Kain drew the Soul Reaver in anger. It meant you were dead."

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I would think another sword that's been around for awhile is Rebellion, Dante's choice sword. Of course, if we're talking cool swords AND Devil May Cry, then I think it goes without saying that Yamato would also be on this list

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
What made this weapon so cool was every 12 hours it switched into the other version at full health and full charge so you never had to repair or recharge it. Additionally kill 12 things with it and the next time it changes it turns into a superior version. The fact that you get it after a really fun quest is just the icing on the cake.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Ha! And people wondered why I enjoyed Lineage 2. The designs in that game were some of the best, some even making sense. I was always preferred the Korean sword designs, they nearly always knew how to give a little more strength to it.

Throwing in the light-saber is cheating. C'mon man, try and add stuff from games.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
No chainswords?!

Also disappointed we didn't see the Quietus from Hexen. It shoots green and blue fireballs whenever you swing it!
And no Pyramid Head blade?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
You go into Jedi Academy hoping to achieve victory with a blaster, you're gonna have yourself a bad time.

OT: For shame...No Ahrah? I guess it never feels particularly nice to escape from the mouth. Like a dying half-cough whilst trying to extract non-existant furball.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
You go into Jedi Academy hoping to achieve victory with a blaster, you're gonna have yourself a bad time.

OT: For shame...No Ahrah? I guess it never feels particularly nice to escape from the mouth. Like a dying half-cough whilst trying to extract non-existant furball.
Well, Dust: An Elysian Tail isn't exactly a mainstream game.

It's a fun, beautiful action platformer whose only weakness is that the game ends rather abruptly. More people should play it so that it can get a proper sequel.

Jan 12, 2012
Silentpony said:
No chainswords?!
I think the problem might be that we've never really gotten a satisfying use of it. I never played Space Marine, but neither did anyone else, and most 40,000 games are RTS of one flavour or another. I look forward to a game where we do get to swing one of those around and rip through some xenos with a big meaty roar.

OT: The energy swords from Halo are one of my favourites; seeing one of those light up seemingly in midair, then lunge towards you, never failed to scare me. Add to the fact that my multiplayer experience was essentially "Run around with a shotgun, blast anyone I came across, and keep going before they could turn around" and they were something that I feared like Satan himself.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I knew it was either going to be the Buster sword or the Masamune. They're both super iconic, but when push comes to shove, I think the Buster sword is the more well-known one.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
Xsjadoblayde said:

Well, Dust: An Elysian Tail isn't exactly a mainstream game.

It's a fun, beautiful action platformer whose only weakness is that the game ends rather abruptly. More people should play it so that it can get a proper sequel.
It does deserve much more recognition and a sequel, Ahrah was only one of five I believe. New game plus can only stretch the play time so much. I was unaware it wasn't well known. But that does explain a lack of anything else after it. Hell, i'd take some DLC over nothing.

Another addition, I never liked soul edge much in soul calibur. But it does have to compete with this;

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
2xDouble said:
Purely on cosmetics, Guild Wars 2's legendary greatswords, Sunrise, Twilight, and Eternity are amazing. Bolt, the one-handed sword, isn't too bad either, come to think of it.
Proud owner of Sunrise and Bolt, I will agree with that. ^^

Some other favorites:
- Storm Ruler and the Northern Regalia from Demon's Souls
- Dawnbreaker from Skyrim
- Some of the rapier designs in the Assassin's Creed series

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
SlumlordThanatos said:
So, does the Buster Sword get a pass simply because it's in FF VII? Come on, it's just a slab of metal. The gunblade in FF VIII was stupid, but still cooler than that.

Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker could've been mentioned. Or Castlevania's Claimh Solais. Hell, even Dante's sword, Rebellion. There are countless video game swords that are cooler than the source of Cloud's lower back problems.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot about Soul Reaver. How could any list of video game swords be complete without Kain's iconic weapon?
The Transistor is a variation on the Buster. You know, with some actual design. Where is that one?
(Maybe its deemed a program thus not really a sword)

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I probably played through Baldur's Gate 2 three times, and I don't think I ever encountered Lilarcorr. Christ that game just has so many hidden treasures.

Anyway, I'd nominate the Daedric sword (hell, any Daedric Weapons) from TES, just for purely looking awesome.

Also, the Kitetsu from Ninja Gaiden. That sword was bad-ass: it looked like a standard Katana, but could actually split into two swords during combos to give it some extra pizzazz. It also would damage you unless you were 'feeding it' by slaying baddies with it.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I look forward to a game where we do get to swing one of those around and rip through some xenos with a big meaty roar.
It's a shame you didn't play Space Marine. It was good times. Chopping through Orks with the Chain-Sword was great as was the gun play. The weapons were very satisfying. The sniper had this audible "CHUNG" sound that was just exhilarating to use. Seriously, pick up a copy and give it a whirl. It has to be cheap by now.

On Topic: Nothing mind blowing, but a good list nonetheless. No idea why I like the Buster Sword so much. I'm no great fan of JRPGs and I especially never cared for FF7. But still, that's a cool sword that I've always thought was pretty awesome.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Buster Sword over a MFing Gunblade? That I can't fathom.

All the cool swords in the Onimusha series?

The Sword of Sparda from DMC?

The Blade of Ahrah from Dust?

Caius Ballad's Sword from FF?

El Shaddai's Arch?

This list definitely needed to be over 8! :p