Hamlet: The Video Game Parodies Your Favorite Games On The Stage

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Hamlet: The Video Game Parodies Your Favorite Games On The Stage

Hamlet: The Video Game takes Shakespeare's play, adapts it into a Triple-A video game, and brings that to the stage once again.

Hamlet is one of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/shakespeare>William Shakespeare's most famous plays, telling a tragic story of revenge, maddness, and death. Yet in all these years, it's never received the Triple-A video game treatment. That's something <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/deus%20ex%20mankind%20divided?os=deus+ex+mankind+divided>Deus Ex: Mankind Divided voice and motion capture director Simon Peacock will change with Hamlet: The Video Game. This unique Shakespeare adaptation transforms the story into an interactive experience, adding branching story paths, new weapons, and even Nazi zombies. But the real twist is Hamlet: The Video Game isn't a video game - it's performed on a stage while the audience controls the action.

"Who knew Hamlet was good with his fists, good with a gun and even better with the ladies?" Hamlet: The Video Game's premise reads. "Who knew Gertrude kicked ass? Who knew Shakespeare included a tutorial and a final boss battle?"

In this video game parody, the audience is a focus group for the upcoming Hamlet video game. At various points, any onlooker can change Hamlet's story to their liking, ensuring no two performances will ever quite be alike. Along the way, actors will incorporate video game logic into the story, treating Hamlet's scenes as "levels" that must be overcome until reaching the final, violent confrontation with King Claudius.

"We've ratcheted up the action and added improvisation to give it the interactivity that comes with a video game, giving the audience control over the show's course," Peacock explains. "I've tried to direct this show in much the same way as we work in the motion capture studio. Actors seldom play only one role, we have very sparse sets if any set at all, and it's very collaborative between director and actors."

[gallery=4628]

Of course, with a half-improvised story parodying video games, pretty much anything could happen in a show. Images taken behind the scenes show Hamlet carrying modern firearms, meeting characters like Mario, and even facing what appears to be a Nazi Zombie. Shakespeare's "there are more things in Heaven and Earth" quote is now quite the understatement.

Hamlet: The Video Game will be performed from Sept. 3-6 at The Court Theatre in Christchurch, New Zealand. Sadly, that's a little out of the way for many gamers, but here's hoping it's ported to a stage nearby very soon.

Source: The Court Theatre, via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/1/9238919/how-do-you-turn-hamlet-into-a-video-game-and-then-back-into-a-play>Polygon

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh this just looks goofy.
And not the good kind of goofy, the sad and cringe-worthy "Oh God, they're actually trying" open-mic night at the improv theater, where even the crickets can't be bothered to make a sound, kind of goofy.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It could be a hit, a palpable hit!

(And hey! No spoilers either!)

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
Let's all stick with Ryan North's brilliant choose-your-own-path version, "To Be Or Not To Be, That Is The Adventure", which is a book but has been turned into an interactive piece of digital media as well (some even call it a videogame, fancy that).

I'm betting with my eyes closed that this here doesn't even come near the quality reached in that book. Sorry, I know it shouldn't be a competition, but come on. People have even done stage adaptations of North's book already. The bar is already set pretty high.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Damn... and there was me thinking that Hamlet: The Videogame was going to be like a version of SimCity, but where you can only build up to 10 houses and a pub, and the 'disasters' are an influx in badgers, foxes stealing chickens or a tourist crashing into a house on a hairpin corner whilst travelling to the nearest town?

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Eh, I feel like it might come out a wee bit pretentious in the
"Oh, look at how silly those videogames are! HAHAHA it is juxtaposition because the art of theatre is objectively superior to the drivel that is children's electronic games! Surely we are such better people for enjoying theatre instead!"
kind of way.