Konami is Looking Into Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Server Issues

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Konami is Looking Into Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Server Issues

Konami: "We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and are working hard with all parties to bring these features back as soon as possible."

In a series of tweets [https://twitter.com/Konami/status/638746289123913728] today, Konami has stated that they are aware of server issues affecting Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's Forward Operating Base multiplayer mode, and are "working hard with all parties" in order to fix the problems. Konami has revealed some changes to FOB that have been made as they work to fix the issues.

"MGSV: We are currently experiencing server connection issues, so the following temporary measures have been taken to remedy the problem," the tweets began. "MGS Servers 1)Number of missions listed in the FOB MISSION list has been decreased. MGS Servers 2) Display of info regarding Win/Loss, Points, Supporting/Supporters, and Heroism have been disabled in the FOB MISSION list. MGS Servers: 3) Number of missions listed in the online COMBAT DEPLOYMENT menu has been decreased."

"MGSV: We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and are working hard with all parties to bring these features back as soon as possible."

We will keep you updated with all new information as it becomes available.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is out today on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, Playstation 3, and PC.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
TechTim said:
Guess we shouldn't be surprised. #FucKonami
More so than you think. The "physical" copy of MGSV is a nine megabyte steam install launcher:

http://gamesnosh.com/metal-gear-solid-v-pc-disk-is-just-a-steam-installer/

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Actually, as much as Konami sucks as a corporation, their customer service has been better than most since Ground Zeroes. They are very quick to respond to complaints and quick to offer fixes and tell people when and what to expect from updates. As far as PC version goes, it took them just a couple of hours after launch to fix a bug that prevented Phenom II owners from playing the game.

This is one of the best AAA launches this year. And by far the best AAA launch from a major publisher. It's almost flawless.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Wow, the big game with online components has issues on launch day? How could this have...forget it, I can't even act surprised.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
TechTim said:
Uh, more like "fuck any developer that makes a multiplayer game ever."

This is nothing new - this has been going on since even before the new consoles launched. Developers don't know how to have multiplayer modes ready to go "Day One." Hop on the Konami Hate Bandwagon all you want, it's not like they don't deserve another passenger, but if they do, it's not for this.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
LordLundar said:
TechTim said:
More so than you think. The "physical" copy of MGSV is a nine megabyte steam install launcher:

Holy crap. How much effort does it take to compile your install to the disc(s) you're shipping?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Actually, as much as Konami sucks as a corporation, their customer service has been better than most since Ground Zeroes. They are very quick to respond to complaints and quick to offer fixes and tell people when and what to expect from updates. As far as PC version goes, it took them just a couple of hours after launch to fix a bug that prevented Phenom II owners from playing the game.

This is one of the best AAA launches this year. And by far the best AAA launch from a major publisher. It's almost flawless.
Well, I imagine so. Any unpaid intern that fails to fix the problem in under an hour is probably freed from the dog collar that chains them to the desk, and fed to the great maw of Cthulu.

I am legitimately surprised they're even trying at this point.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Fdzzaigl said:
LordLundar said:
TechTim said:

Holy crap. How much effort does it take to compile your install to the disc(s) you're shipping?
More than Konami is willing to expend apparently.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Indeed. I wasn't really looking forward to it, though I have been a Metal Gear fan since the NES days. I didn't play the PSP versions and only played #4 (to completion) by having a friend that had it on PS3. When Ground Zeroes came out for free on XB1, I became more and more interested in Phantom Pain. I must say, the reviews have been pretty spot on about the game. It's a shame that Konami has wrecked everything with Kojima; but a game like this is really letting the series go out with a bang. I love how Kojima's name comes up so much in "credits".

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fox12 said:
Well, I imagine so. Any unpaid intern that fails to fix the problem in under an hour is probably freed from the dog collar that chains them to the desk, and fed to the great maw of Cthulhu.
Honestly, I wouldn't care if this was literally the truth. Customer service is a very important thing and it's so rare to have it these days. So if Konami takes it seriously enough to feed their employees to the great maw of Cthulhu if they don't do their jobs that's a good thing for the consumers.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Fox12 said:
Well, I imagine so. Any unpaid intern that fails to fix the problem in under an hour is probably freed from the dog collar that chains them to the desk, and fed to the great maw of Cthulhu.
Honestly, I wouldn't care if this was literally the truth. Customer service is a very important thing and it's so rare to have it these days. So if Konami takes it seriously enough to feed their employees to the great maw of Cthulhu if they don't do their jobs that's a good thing for the consumers.
Perhaps, but they've been so heavily anti-consumer in every other aspect of their business that this fails to ultimately impress me. They're trying to leave the industry, and they'll take some of the best franchises with them. Which would be fine, except that we've already seen how much they care about their old title. It would be a shame to see SH2 and Metal Gear fall into obscurity. They're ability to quickly fix a game that shouldn't have been broken in the first place doesn't do it for me : \