8 of the Creepiest Videogame Easter Eggs and Urban Legends

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Creepiest Videogame Easter Eggs and Urban Legends

Sometimes hidden secrets can make for some really creepy game experiences, as these eight examples prove.

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
What Mojang should do is write a bit of code which puts Herobrine into, I don't know, 0.01% of all player's games. And then deny everything.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Nope, you missed the most terrifying easter egg of all. Nearly shat myself when it emerged with a ferocious, "YEEEEEEEEEEHAAW"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh, I remember that trick in Black and White and it did freak my brother out as he was the one playing it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I started reading this and thought, 'Wonder if he'll list the Hitman--yep. There it is.'

I've never played the game, and that still creeps me out a bit. Whoever thought that up and decided to put it in there is brilliant. It's a great way to show that the world does not revolve around Agent 47, in more ways than one.

Okay, you got me on the Black Ops II one. There is so much going on in the Zombie Storyline, even just involving that bear, that I could talk for days about it. But I had no idea that the thing moved its head. I'll have to boot up the game and check that out. Looks like Sam is having a bit more fun than I thought.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Herobrine is pretty lame IMHO, pretty weak creepy-pasta.

The rest are pretty creepy indeed, you should make another "Top X" of games that aren't truly "horror games", but does include something especially terrifying, like in Thief: Deadly Shadows and the infamous "Cradle" level, or Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines and the "Hotel" level.

I'd also say The Secret World, but that game is worthy of it's own list of creepy stuff :3

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Rad Party God said:

The rest are pretty creepy indeed, you should make another "Top X" of games that aren't truly "horror games", but does include something especially terrifying, like in Thief: Deadly Shadows and the infamous "Cradle" level, or Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines and the "Hotel" level.

I'd also say The Secret World, but that game is worthy of it's own list of creepy stuff :3
Well, the OP said easter eggs AND urban legends. A Creepypasta qualifies as urban legend so Herobrine is technically eligible for inclusion on the list. It just doesn't deserve the status as much as say "Ben drowned." But including something from MW2? How did anybody notice it at all, all you ever do is sprint from checkpoint to checkpoint at top speed firing in the direction of muzzle flashes.

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Black & White easter egg takes me waaaaaay back, must of been one of the first games with name recognition?

Was playing it in the early hours of the morning to hear someone faintly whispering my name... along with "death"...
Needless to say I was very freaked out :O

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Heh, I remember that trick in Black and White and it did freak my brother out as he was the one playing it.
the.chad said:
Black & White easter egg takes me waaaaaay back, must of been one of the first games with name recognition?

Was playing it in the early hours of the morning to hear someone faintly whispering my name... along with "death"...
Playing that game late at night with headphones on? Yeah, that was some creepy stuff right there.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffronw said:
Scarim Coral said:
the.chad said:

Playing that game late at night with headphones on? Yeah, that was some creepy stuff right there.
I was in a house in the middle of a wooded area with no other humans close to me, living alone and in the middle of the night playing a marathon of B&W when I heard that voice... no headphones but a surround sound system hooked up to a wonderful audio card. I rightly near-pissed myself and hid in a corner for a while with a bat because I had no idea it was the game whispering to me my name.

Captcha: stay safe
Bloody well right captcha... that was exactly my intent.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, atleast no Ben Drowned on the list. Even though that it iwas the only urban legend that creeped me the fuck out.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
Rad Party God said:

Well, the OP said easter eggs AND urban legends. A Creepypasta qualifies as urban legend so Herobrine is technically eligible for inclusion on the list. It just doesn't deserve the status as much as say "Ben drowned." But including something from MW2? How did anybody notice it at all, all you ever do is sprint from checkpoint to checkpoint at top speed firing in the direction of muzzle flashes.
I am assuming that you never heard of the zombie mode on that game and just are basing everything off of whats said about the story mode

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Decent list. Glad to see the Hitman ghost made it in.[footnote]Many don't know this, but it's actually possible to catch and kill the ghost in that mission.[/footnote] But I'm surprised none of these made it in:

If you set a Zombie on fire and listened to the associated audio files backwards, you end up with this:

According to the lore of the series, those possessed by the headcrabs are actually still alive and are fully aware of what is happening to them, making the audio even more disturbing.

Not only could you find John Romero's severed head inside the Icon of Evil, but if you played the Icon's speech backwards, it said "In order to win, you have to kill me John Romero." (at the time, this was genuinely creepy for a video game)

When you used the Possession Vigor, you would hear a ghostly female voice. Played backwards (this is a trend in video game easter eggs) she's quoting lines from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

This is made creepier by the fact that the target kills himself once the Possession effect ends.

While in Milla's mind, you can find a room in which she keeps a buried memory locked away. It turns out Milla was a caretaker at a children's hospital/orphanage. One day, while she was out shopping for food, the orphanage burned down with all the children inside. The locked-away memory is Milla being tormented by the cries of the dead children.

In the Shiverburn Galaxy, if you switch to first person and look to the skybox, you'll see these figures watching you:

Accessing the games files reveals the figures to be called "Hell Valley Sky Trees" and that the region they inhabit is called "Beyond Hell Valley".

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Only one that pops to mind at the moment is the girl ghost from X and Y;

Given the fact that this game is intended for children aged like 5 and up...

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Does that GTAV one show up in the multiplayer? I barely play the Single Player.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
kenu12345 said:
Kyrian007 said:
But including something from MW2? How did anybody notice it at all, all you ever do is sprint from checkpoint to checkpoint at top speed firing in the direction of muzzle flashes.
I am assuming that you never heard of the zombie mode on that game and just are basing everything off of whats said about the story mode
Not exactly, I'm basing it off of my own experiences with the story mode of 3 or 4 Call of Duty titles, which have always been such linear and boring checkpoint sprints (with the exception of MW1 which was fairly well done) I couldn't stay engaged or awake long enough to unlock a zombie mode or whatever.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Mentioning Fable 2, I remember 1 of the demon doors in Fable 3 where you go into a cave with a large chasm and cobwebs and then this bone chilling scream/roar echoing around. I think it was the door in the rich area (millfields?) with the multiple balverine spawns,I try to imagine the sales pitch of the estate agents.
Large homes, fabulous views and a large lake.
and a slight wildlife infestation who are carriers of a highly contagious disease.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Kyrian007 said:
kenu12345 said:
Kyrian007 said:
But including something from MW2? How did anybody notice it at all, all you ever do is sprint from checkpoint to checkpoint at top speed firing in the direction of muzzle flashes.
Not exactly, I'm basing it off of my own experiences with the story mode of 3 or 4 Call of Duty titles, which have always been such linear and boring checkpoint sprints (with the exception of MW1 which was fairly well done) I couldn't stay engaged or awake long enough to unlock a zombie mode or whatever.
Zombie mode is unlocked from the start on black ops and black ops 2 and its far from that