From Fantasy to Post Apocalypse, Thanks MTV

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Shannara is an interesting series, and if the TV Series promises Antrax as one of the villains, I will totally watch it.

The story of Antrax basically pits these classic high fantasy trope characters against an aggressive AI security system... basically Gandalf vs. Ultron

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Shannara is an interesting series, and if the TV Series promises Antrax as one of the villains, I will totally watch it.

The story of Antrax basically pits these classic high fantasy trope characters against an aggressive AI security system... basically Gandalf vs. Ultron
Aww man another series I'm going to have to watch 'sigh'.

UberThetan

Oct 6, 2014
I never finished the Antrax series, though I got far enough to figure out that much. I should probably borrow those books again.

The overall Shannara series is just... huge. I read a lot of the first ones, that are more straight-up fantasy, but some of them also felt somewhat same-ish so I can barely tell them apart after all these years.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Darn it, they stole my idea!!
Sort of.. If it was located in ..Aaahh..
Whew. You almost got me there.

I will keep an eye on this. Thanks for the tip. ,)

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I just saw "Mad Max Fury Road" meets "Adventure Time" on YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8fQ-0uw-l0]. How important is Adventure Time to society these day? Because it seems like a lot. I'm okay with that.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Speaking of MTV, I remember when they had more weird-ass cartoons. It was just a few years ago they had a new season of Beavis & Butt-Head and that spin-off of Greg the Bunny. I have no idea what they're doing now; are they the new host organism for Miley Cyrus' tongue?

Robert B. Marks

Jun 10, 2008
I have this vague recollection that the first book has this scene set in a ruined city, establishing the "far future after an apocalypse" setting, though...so I don't think that's actually anything that wasn't there from the very beginning.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Robert B. Marks said:
I have this vague recollection that the first book has this scene set in a ruined city, establishing the "far future after an apocalypse" setting, though...so I don't think that's actually anything that wasn't there from the very beginning.
If I remember right, it was sort of implied, but wasn't really focused on until later books. For the real focus on that you'd need the Word and the Void and Genesis of Shannara trilogies which take place before and during the apocalypse.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
"Hey, remember when MTV played music videos?"

How come people who asks this question get treated like they are an obnoxious jerk? Yet, people get excited every year to watch MTV give out awards to music videos that they no longer air on their network?

The Ditz

Lord of the Never There
Dec 18, 2012
KissingSunlight said:
"Hey, remember when MTV played music videos?"

How come people who asks this question get treated like they are an obnoxious jerk? Yet, people get excited every year to watch MTV give out awards to music videos that they no longer air on their network?
Maybe people don't like people asking that question because they remember MTV was more than just music: Daria, Bevis and Butt-head, later seasons of Celebrity Deathmatch, Andy Milinakis, The Maxx, Etc... as for the award thing? People love a good train wreck.

O.T. This looks fun, hope I remember to look out for this with my goldfish-like attention span.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
hittite said:
Robert B. Marks said:
If I remember right, it was sort of implied, but wasn't really focused on until later books. For the real focus on that you'd need the Word and the Void and Genesis of Shannara trilogies which take place before and during the apocalypse.
...that's odd, because if I recall correctly, Allanon told Wil Ohmsfor right up front that there had been a nuclear Armageddon, and that most of the people were descended from humans. Except the elves. They were special little snowflakes.

...also, I'm pretty sure that half of The Druid of Shannara took place in the ruins of a modern city. And someone...maybe Colgene? At some point explains that the Druids were the descendants of ancient scientists.

But yeah, I was really exited...until I heard MTV was doing it. Now the best I'm hoping for is that they don't turn it into a joke.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
OK, here's an example of the profound fuck-uppery I'm terrified they've committed, in the form of a simple, straightforward question anyone should be able to answer. Where the fuck is Allanon?

Now, for those who don't know, Allanon [http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cobbies69.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/allanon__druid_of_shannara_by_myrddinderwydd.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.snipview.com/q/Allanon&h=3200&w=2210&tbnid=ukdkY42sA8xRRM:&docid=8pvE2UaT8KaBdM&ei=zfgQVqvZDoLUggSlzLvYCA&tbm=isch&ved=0CDkQMygHMAdqFQoTCOvzpsPHqMgCFQKqgAodJeYOiw] is a seven foot tall, ivory skinned, black haired badass who can shoot flames out of his fingertips and dresses like a Jedi. He's one of the central characters in the story, and if I recall correctly, the only person who appears in all three of the original books[footnote]Which is not only because the books themselves have a distressingly high turnover rate, but because they take place over the course of...like, fifty years? Maybe more? I haven't read the books in maybe five years, I'm not sure.[/footnote]. He's the only person who consistently has any idea what the fuck is going on, and no one knows the first thing about him. He's a mystery wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a puzzle, stuffed in one of those cypher things from The DaVinci code which can only be located by traversing the labyrinth and slaying the Minotaur. The only things you really find out about him are that he's a war orphan, he is hundreds of years old, he's a druid[footnote]he CAN age, minor spoiler. Maybe. Probably not, it looks like they're starting from the second book, anyway.[/footnote] and he will tear your heart out and leave you for the wolves if you get on his bad side.

Where is he?

Where the fuck is he?

He's seven fucking feet tall and looks like he's going to rip your guts out. He should not only stick out like a sore thumb, but a sore thumb that has spontaneously grown another thumb because it needs to be more sore. And he's not fucking there.

And this is not a minor thing. This would be like...like New Line releasing their first Lord of the Rings trailer and forgetting to put Gandalf in it. It is egregious. I mean...it looks OK, it doesn't look awful, but what the fuck were they thinking?

Bah. I sound like a Sonic fan. I need to...I dunno, get some sleep.