8 of the Weirdest Videogame Spinoffs

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Weirdest Videogame Spinoffs

There have been some really weird videogame spinoffs over the years, as these eight examples clearly demonstrate.

Read Full Article

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Rocket Slime is an odd spin off. Very fun though.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Eh, kinda dissapointed not to see Command and Conquer: Sole Survivor, which (as far as i can work out) is the earliest game that can be called a MOBA.

But of course, knowledge of that game is considered heresy. I had best turn myself in for a mindwipe.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Tingle has two games on the DS. Yes, that Tingle from the Legend of Zelda series has two games on the DS.

The one on the bottom is, I believe, a Balloon Trip kind of adventure game. The other one, Rupee Land...I have no idea. It's based around Tingle though so it's weird on that principle alone.

Also, Konami had a kart-racer on the GBA.

Some recognizable characters include Goemon (Mystic Ninja), Grey Fox (Metal Gear series) and the blue fellow in the back is Lord Dracula (Castlevania). Kinda funny how they're all in a GBA Kart Racer.

Oh hey, Krazy Kart Racer has a sequel...on iOS and Android...Pyramid Head and Sparkster are in it so there's that.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Also, Konami had a kart-racer on the GBA.

Some recognizable characters include Goemon (Mystic Ninja), Grey Fox (Metal Gear series) and the blue fellow in the back is Lord Dracula (Castlevania). Kinda funny how they're all in a GBA Kart Racer.

Oh hey, Krazy Kart Racer has a sequel...on iOS and Android...Pyramid Head and Sparkster are in it so there's that.
Still not quite as weird as Kid Dracula.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ah man, Mega Man Soccer was the shit!

I remember renting that all the time when I got the chance to go to the local rental shop for games.

I had a blast playing it, and I remember getting pretty good at it too. It was pretty weird since you could play and have a team of nothing but bosses, but it was still a pretty solid game.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Did Naughty Dog a Uncharted racing game yet? I think some people are still waiting.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So, no Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? Playing as a cybersoldier mashup of 80's action heroes, fighting against robot soldiers, zombie scientists, neon animals and dinosaurs that shoot fucking lasers from their eyes? How can't that count as a weird spinoff!?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
On Sporcle there is a great quiz where you have to identify 50 legit Mario games from a list of about 75... it's pretty good, especially with the time limit. Once you have all the obvious ones out the way you are torn amongst a lot of the others... especially as they were sneaky and have mashed up some of the titles with other nintendo franchises!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kirby's Dream Course was one of my favorite SNES games. Closest I've come to liking golf.

CaitSeith said:
So, no Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? Playing as a cybersoldier mashup of 80's action heroes, fighting against robot soldiers, zombie scientists, neon animals and dinosaurs that shoot fucking lasers from their eyes? How can't that count as a weird spinoff!?
Well it didn't differ that much from Far Cry 3 as far as gameplay was concerned. It was more like an aesthetical remake.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Kirby's Dream Course was one of my favorite SNES games. Closest I've come to liking golf.

CaitSeith said:
Well it didn't differ that much from Far Cry 3 as far as gameplay was concerned. It was more like an aesthetical remake.
Same gameplay? Yeah, sure. If you don't take into account the differences in levelling up and crafting systems (or the lack of the later). The difference in plot, map size and addition of unique enemies and weapons make it more than just an "aesthetical remake" (does that term even exist?)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

CaitSeith said:
Same gameplay? Yeah, sure. If you don't take into account the differences in levelling up and crafting systems (or the lack of the later). The difference in plot, map size and addition of unique enemies and weapons make it more than just an "aesthetical remake" (does that term even exist?)
Comes from "aesthetic", regarding the perception of art and form.
It means they've taken the same game, running on the same engine, featuring the same first-person core gameplay of run 'n gun action and QTE stealth takedowns, and gone in a different aesthetical direction with it.
An example: in FC3 you can chain stealth kills with throwing knives, in Blood Dragon you use shurikens. Same controls, same physics, same result. But the shuriken is more at home with the aesthetic of cheesy 80s action movies.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

CaitSeith said:
Comes from "aesthetic", regarding the perception of art and form.
It means they've taken the same game, running on the same engine, featuring the same first-person core gameplay of run 'n gun action and QTE stealth takedowns, and gone in a different aesthetical direction with it.
An example: in FC3 you can chain stealth kills with throwing knives, in Blood Dragon you use shurikens. Same controls, same physics, same result. But the shuriken is more at home with the aesthetic of cheesy 80s action movies.
Goggled "aesthetical remake". Found no definition.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Man, I loved Pokémon Snap, and the funny thing about almost every Mario spinoff, is that they end up as pretty darn good!, except for those weird licensed PC games like the typing one... Do not go near the CD based one, as it's nightmare fuel.

Fun fact: Charles Martinet himself voiced Mario in this game, so this was his official first voiced appearance way before Super Mario 64, in fact, during the SNES era.