Official Mega Man Movie Confirmed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Official Mega Man Movie Confirmed

The blue bomber is making his way to the big screen.

Today, 20th Century Fox announced that development has begun on an official Super Mario Bros. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mega%20man] panic mode, Chernin Entertainment's David Ready and Michael Finfer are overseeing for the company, while Peter Chernin produces. This is signifigant because the folks at Chernin have made a bit of a name for themselves developing sci-fi action flicks, including the recent/upcoming Planet of the Apes films.

No further information - including whether it would be a live-action or animated feature - was disclosed, and the project seems to be in very early stages.

Mega Man enthusiasts may remember the il-fated being revived [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_(TV_series)] in 2017, but as far as we know it has nothing to do with the newly announced movie.

If Planet of the Apes is anything to go by, we're gonna get a more gritty-mature themed Mega Man than his animated series counterpart.

I'm gonna go ahead and be "cautiously optimistic" about this one. What do you guys think?

Source: The Tracking Board [http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-a-mega-man-movie-is-a-go-at-fox/]

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I've always wanted to see this -

I'm sure everyone would go to see it.

Anyway, what is so wrong with the Super Mario Brothers movie? It was an interesting take on a simple silly idea.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Can't wait for Yahtzee to judge the original game by the original Megaman cover.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nazulu said:
I've always wanted to see this -

Vin Deisel doesn't need guns to take down robot bosses. He'll take on Dr Wily with nothing but his Vin-ness.

Anyway, I'd like for this to be good. But even with the pedigree, I'm not holding out much hope.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
My first reaction is that this is awful news. That's my gut feeling. BUT, I suppose if it's animated I'd be OK with it. The problem is there is that MegaMan has no real connection to any kind of reality. So in order to do this movie right, they're going to have to just make up a lot of lore just because. What kind of society does Megaman live in? It is certainly never explored in the games. The game provides you with just enough story to get you through a few levels of platforming and a few bosses and really that's about it. There later emerge some cool characters there, but nothing particularly epic. If they did kind of an animated feature that rides a bit off of the original, I think it could be good, but if they're planning to do some kind of realistic interpretation, I don't trust fox for a moment to let a good version of that happen without a fight.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Kameburger said:
My first reaction is that this is awful news. That's my gut feeling. BUT, I suppose if it's animated I'd be OK with it. The problem is there is that MegaMan has no real connection to any kind of reality. So in order to do this movie right, they're going to have to just make up a lot of lore just because. What kind of society does Megaman live in? It is certainly never explored in the games. The game provides you with just enough story to get you through a few levels of platforming and a few bosses and really that's about it. There later emerge some cool characters there, but nothing particularly epic. If they did kind of an animated feature that rides a bit off of the original, I think it could be good, but if they're planning to do some kind of realistic interpretation, I don't trust fox for a moment to let a good version of that happen without a fight.
Ehh, they don't have to go whole cloth on it, they didn't say WHICH Mega Man they're using. NT Warrior and Star Force got plenty of world building, and the movie could even just cannibalize the plot from that ill-fated Legends 3 game. Or they could just stretch out that half hour Mega Man X film into an hour and a half.
That being said, they're probably just going to do the Astro Boy thing: Scientist invents and perfects robotics, assistant jacks that research and weaponizes it, scientist's Magnum Opus goes all "Chappie" on those who would threaten humanity. Season to (lack of) taste with Megan Fox as Roll, the love interest.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
"Cautiously optimistic" he says. I'm going to be the radicalist here and be incredibly, gargantuan-ly pessimistic.

Because what walks like a trainwreck and quacks like a trainwreck...

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I already said it on another news site and I will say it again. It's a live action movie. It's gonna be meh at best, but mostlikely it will be shit. Also being made by Fox with the recent Fantastic Four...
It should be an animated movie.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Dalsyne said:
"Cautiously optimistic" he says. I'm going to be the radicalist here and be incredibly, gargantuan-ly pessimistic.

Because what walks like a trainwreck and quacks like a trainwreck...
Every time I hear that saying, which I agree is a reasonable yardstick, I always remember a corollary to go with it: if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is still possible for someone to think it's a goose.

On the subject at hand, why don't you strike while the dinosaur iron has been heated up again and do Dino Crisis, Capcom? I think cinema goers are ready to see a Commando shoot velociraptors with an anti-tank gun.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Uhm... Shall we look at Capcom's past history with Video Games to Movies. Streetfight The Movie., Street FIghter: Legend of Chun Lee.

Let' be serious here. It'll likely be bad. There have been very, very, very few decent Video game to movie adaptations. I'd have been more optimistic if they'd said say. FInal FIght Since that has a more typical Hollywood story structure.

It's the curse of Video game to movies. Movies seldom make good video games because the key selling point of the movie is passive consumption. Granted the best movie to game adaptations are the ones that don't follow the movie but rather just use the movie as a stage or backdrop for another story.

Video Games are an interactive medium...not a passive one, the things that make aa video game enjoyable are the very things a movie cannot deliver.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
If Planet of the Apes is anything to go by, we're gonna get a more gritty-mature themed Mega Man than his animated series counterpart.
Annnnnd that's precisely why this movie is going to suck.

Well, that and the fact that it's being made by 20th Century Fox.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Nazulu said:
Anyway, what is so wrong with the Super Mario Brothers movie? It was an interesting take on a simple silly idea.
You have to understand the time period when it came out. Gaming wasn't as mainstream as it is now, and I personally caught a lot of hell in school for being a "gamer". There was everything from Nintendo breakfast cereal to that horrible Captain N the game master cartoon with its horrible depiction of our favorite characters; and the people that didn't game see that and assume that's what the games are like. Yes, Simon Belmont from Castlevania was depicted as an incompetent cowardly vain idiot. Being a fan of something and watching as someone just tears it apart and make it their in their own way is just distressing. The people doing the creating didn't even bother to play the game or even know what it was about; it was all about business and making money off Nintendo fans.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Great, my favorite video game character of all time is getting a movie adaption from Fox....

Fox.....

Fox..........

Listen to me very carefully: It is guaranteed to suck.
There isn't even the slightest possibility that this will be a half-way decent movie, and I'm gonna have to live with whatever horror they create for the rest of my life.........nice......

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm going to play Debbie Downer here, I anticipate this sucking hard. Part of it is Hollywood's abhorrent track record with adapting video games into movies, with the good ones being guilty pleasure material (Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Bros.) or passable (Prince of Persia) to outright awful (everything else). Further, I have several questions, however, regarding this.

-What would this movie even be about? They're obviously going to go the origin story route, how long are they going to dedicate to it?
-How do you even establish a world with sentient AI literally everywhere?
-The robots are obviously going to be CGI, so on a scale of 1-10, how accurate are they going to be to the original designs and how deep into the Uncanny Valley are their designs going to be compared to human characters?
-How is Dr. Wily going to affect the plot? Is his story of rivalry with Dr. Light going to even be touched on?
-Will Proto Man show up (hint, he shouldn't, just allude to him, leave something to ruin for the army of sequels Fox is inevitably going to try to churn out)?
-What batch of Robot Masters are going to show up? One assumes it's going to be Fire Man, Elec Man, Ice Man, Cut Man, Guts Man and Bomb Man, since first movie, first set of robot masters. Further, how would you film a fight between Mega Man and any Robot Master in a 3-D environment? Further, how much face time should the Robot Masters get?

I'll still say "please don't suck," but considering this is still Capcom's franchise they know what to do with their franchises about as well as I know about New Zealand folk dances (hint, not much), I'd say this one's destined to suck.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
American Fox said:
We already *had* a Mega Man movie!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZo6np1jZ0A
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'll withhold judgement until we see some more of the movie. Although I am a little miffed given what happened with megaman legends 3 and the original creator leaving capcom and all that: just seems like it's all waaaaay too late.