8 Great Trailers for Not So Great Games

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Great Trailers for Not So Great Games

Sometimes a great trailer captures our attention, and then the game falls flat. These eight games are great examples of that.

Read Full Article

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Great list.

I think one minor offender might be BioShock Infinite. I expected the game to scold me for abusing of Elizabeth's powers and even an epic confrontation against the Songbird, heck, I even wanted to see that towerbell scene in it's full glory.

Alas, just a minor complaint, but I can't deny I was slightly dissapointed I didn't see any of that in the finished game.

Sep 24, 2008
There was honestly few trailers that ever got me so hype as Hellgate London did. "For the Living" is the best rally cry I ever heard and it still gives me goosebumps to this day.

I know it's unfair, but I would have put Overstrike on the list.

Then it became Fuse. Do you remember Fuse? No? That's why I'd put it on the list. because we should have got Overstrike!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Wow. I've never seen that Aliens: Colonial Marines trailer. That makes the game sting even more, because I would have played the living daylights out of something like that.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Wait, wait, wait, hold the phone. First, I'm in Hollywood movie film, and now the Escapist has made an article because of me?

I AM YOUR GOD, AND YOU SHALL ALL BOW BEFORE ME!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Yeah, mentioned AGAIN in one of these awesome! It's nice and relevant too considering it's May the Spirit of May the 4th Day Live On In September Because Reasons day...I'm half-tempted to put up the Merchandising scene from space-balls if only because of how relevant it is to that situation.

Anyway yes, I stand by my trailer. I was completely hyped up for Force Unleashed, I watched interviews and even those videos dedicated to showing off the physics engine specifically designed for the game. Granted the absolute best feature of The Force Unleashed was the way everything broke as you tossed crap into it. I loved just using Force Burst or whatever at anything with unbroken glass.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Rad Party God said:
Great list.

I think one minor offender might be BioShock Infinite. I expected the game to scold me for abusing of Elizabeth's powers and even an epic confrontation against the Songbird, heck, I even wanted to see that towerbell scene in it's full glory.

Alas, just a minor complaint, but I can't deny I was slightly dissapointed I didn't see any of that in the finished game.
I miss Charles, the crow guy. They still put him on the t-shirt though.

Yeah, that Aliens trailer actually made me go buy Moon.
I forgot how great the movie was and happened to pick up a copy when Blockbuster was going out of business.
Somewhere a marketing guy was like "Well, he bought something."

One of these trailers I think of is the E3 reveal for Gears Of War: Judgment. Counting Bodies Like Sheep To The Rhythm Of The War drums has been used in a few trailers and might skim generic when it comes to Gears but that trailer made it look like such a dirty, hardcore game, which is what Gears is supposed to be.
Then it wasn't good. *cries*

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Whenever I have an urge to go back and play Driv3r, I just watch the original Driver 3 trailer instead. much better- so much promise unfulfilled.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
ObsidianJones said:
There was honestly few trailers that ever got me so hype as Hellgate London did. "For the Living" is the best rally cry I ever heard and it still gives me goosebumps to this day.

I know it's unfair, but I would have put Overwatch on the list.

Then it became Fuse. Do you remember Fuse? No? That's why I'd put it on the list. because we should have got Overwatch!
You mean Overstrike

This is Overwatch

And yeah, I was hyped for Hellgate. Game was pretty decent though. Could have been good

Sep 24, 2008
Makabriel said:
You mean Overstrike

This is Overwatch

And yeah, I was hyped for Hellgate. Game was pretty decent though. Could have been good
too true. I was watching Pax gameplay vids before I saw this. Guess it was on the brain.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Real shame about Homecoming. I so wanted a good Silent Hill game. It just didn't live up to what it was supposed to be.
I mean the idea is solid: a town that sacrifices their first borns to appease an evil God. And a PTSD enabled amnesia guy trying to save his little bro and girlfriend, who is herself looking for her sister.
Its not a bad story! It was just the execution was so poor. And mandatory combat in a Silent Hill game is always tricky.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
OMG Dead Island. Still probably one of the best game trailers ever made and had NOTHING in common with the actual game (well, apart from the Zombies on a tropical island). I would have really liked to see an emotional zombie game that actually deals with the desperation and heartbreak instead of just killing all the zombies. Such wasted potential. Dead Island 2 trailer was pretty good but clearly the franchise has taken a more comedic approach (Dead Rising did it already!) rather than dramatic.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Mark of Chaos was a pretty good game, after you downloaded the patch for it. Prior to the patch, the only way to trade gear between units/champions, was to drop it on the battlefield and have the desired unit pick it up. No between battle gear swapping for us at launch.

I also liked Force Unleashed. I agree that the Star Destroyer scene was tedious. Trying to pull it down, between getting hammered by Ties, was an exercise in frustration.