Beta Testing Begins For New Traveller Core Rulebook

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Beta Testing Begins For New Traveller Core Rulebook

Mongoose Publishing brings out a beta for its revised Traveller core rulebook, and its available now for $20.

I spent a lot of time playing Traveller as a teen, when the tabletop RPG first appeared from Game Designer's Workshop in 1977. Since that time, there have been numerous iterations of the game, from a GURPS version to a Hero version. But through it all, the core Traveller experience continued.

Now, Mongoosing Publishing, which created Mongoose Traveller in 2008, has released a beta for it's new Core Rulebook after years of "tweaking, adjusting and listening to the thousands of players who have traveled the universe of the far future," according to the DrivethruRPG [http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?p=798] offers fans a chance to plytest the new ruleset before the book is officially released some time early next year.

For your $20, Mongoose is offering:

The Beta Playtest Core Rulebook, laid out sans artwork in PDF format.
A free copy of the adventure High and Dry, written by fan favorite Martin Dougherty. It is a revised edition of the original Type-S scenario, fully updated to the new Traveller in both rules and format.
Access to draft documents (in Word format) of the 'core set' of Traveller rule books - High Guard, Central Supply Catalogue, Vehicle Handbook, and the Traveller Companion, plus the chance to comment upon them.
A $20 voucher to be redeemed against the final Core Rulebook when it is finally released.

Playetesters may get other goodies throughout the playtest period "if all goes well."

You can get a more in-depth look at the rules and changes on the official site [http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?p=798]. Now excuse me while I go drop $20 and put a call out to my mercenary team.

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Mayday, Mayday...We are under attack...
Main drive is gone...Turret number one not responding...
Mayday...Losing cabin pressure fast calling anyone...
Please help...This is Free Trader Beowulf...

...mayday...

Source: Mongoose Publishing [http://blog.mongoosepublishing.co.uk/?p=798]

[gallery=4664]

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
JustAnotherAardvark said:
John Keefer said:
This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
That never fails to give me chills ... here's hoping they do Traveler justice. :)
Right? I had a core group of guys I played Traveller with way back in the day. To this day, I have most of the characters, cities and adventures I created for the rules. Man, I loved that game.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
My uncle gave me his old copy of the 1977 rulebook back when I was a teenager. Man I loved crafting ships just to see what I could put in them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mongoose? A few days ago I found out they were behind the last Conan roleplay books. Maybe they should bring that back next, I'd love to have some Hyborian adventures.

Though for my sci-fi loving friends this sounds like a cool thing to run too. It looks more hard sci-fi than most sci-fi roleplaying games, going by the art at least, and that'd be pretty appealing to me.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
Mongoose? A few days ago I found out they were behind the last Conan roleplay books. Maybe they should bring that back next, I'd love to have some Hyborian adventures.

Though for my sci-fi loving friends this sounds like a cool thing to run too. It looks more hard sci-fi than most sci-fi roleplaying games, going by the art at least, and that'd be pretty appealing to me.
Traveler or at least mongoose traveler, is in general best for the cowboy bebop, firefly, han solo deal. The wanderer scraping by and constantly taking jobs in the fringes of space just to get by. Lots of debt, shady jobs, derelict and questionable ships, and never staying in one spot too long. Not that it cant be used for other types of course, but i find that's what it works best at.