Videos Capture Massive Meteor Exploding Over Bangkok

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Videos Capture Massive Meteor Exploding Over Bangkok

A massive fireball exploded over Bangkok yesterday morning, and thanks to a few well-timed dashcam videos, we can see it for ourselves.

I've long since lauded capture the brilliant occurrence [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODrDR9D28RE] for us all to see.

On Monday morning, the citizens of Bangkok, Thailand were treated to a similar phenomenon, when a massive meteor entered the atmosphere above the capital city at 8:45 a.m. local time. Thankfully, this meteor was captured on camera as well by a handful of dashcams.

Check out the incredible footage below.

Deputy Director of the National Astronomical Research Institute, Saran Poshyachinda, said that although the fireball was impressive in size, there should be no concern from local citizens that it might land in their backyards.

"It is a natural phenomenon which can be explained," said Poshyachinda, "It might be a meteor or a piece of an old satellite. It is quite exciting to see it, but please do not panic."

There have been no reports of the "fireball" landing anywhere as of this write up, leading researchers to believe that it may have burned up completely while entering the atmosphere. Which is a shame if you ask me, because a burned up piece of satellite would make for one hell of a souvenir, regardless of whether or not it had just destroyed your home.

Source: Bangkok Post [http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/683980/fireball-streaks-across-city-sky]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JaredJones said:
There have been no reports of the "fireball" landing anywhere as of this write up, leading researchers to believe that it may have burned up completely while entering the atmosphere. Which is a shame if you ask me, because a burned up piece of satellite would make for one hell of a souvenir, regardless of whether or not it had just destroyed your home.
Unless, of course, this is a Stephen King story.

OT: As long as it exploded OVER Bangkok and not ON Bangkok or IN Bangkok, we're fine, I think.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Vicarious Reality said:
Well this is obviously faked
Why would it come down at the same exact angle on every single dashcamera?
Did you notice how quiet it was in the last moments of the video? That suggests the flare-up was a great distance from the city. If it was as far as I think it was, that may have negated any visible parallax-shift.