Star Wars: Aftermath Author Offers Scathing Response to Criticism of Gay Characters

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Star Wars: Aftermath Author Offers Scathing Response to Criticism of Gay Characters

Talk about sexuality. I can literally trace the moment I hit puberty back to this very scene.

Fed up with all the criticism aimed at his decision, Wendig took to his blog [http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/09/07/star-wars-aftermath-reviews-news-and-such/comment-page-1/] to address the notions that he was using the Star Wars universe to push his own political agenda. What followed was a takedown of epic proportions.

And if you're upset because I put gay characters and a gay protagonist in the book, I got nothing for you. Sorry, you squawking saurian - meteor's coming. And it's a fabulously gay Nyan Cat meteor with a rainbow trailing behind it and your mode of thought will be extinct. You're not the Rebel Alliance. You're not the good guys. You're the fucking Empire, man. You're the shitty, oppressive, totalitarian Empire. If you can imagine a world where Luke Skywalker would be irritated that there were gay people around him, you completely missed the point of Star Wars. It's like trying to picture Jesus kicking lepers in the throat instead of curing them. Stop being the Empire. Join the Rebel Alliance. We have love and inclusion and great music and cute droids.
(By the way, the book also has an older woman, a mother, rescuing a man. So if that bothers you, you might wanna find a bunker for hunkering down. And I dunno if you noticed, but the three new protagonists of the movie consist of a woman, a black man, a Latino man. The bad guys all look like white guys, too. So many meteors. So little time to squawk at them.)

#BOOMHEADSHOT

Now, it bears mentioning that Wendig's book hasn't received such a poor Amazon rating due to its inclusion of gay characters alone. Several reviewers have noted that Wendig's reliance on present-tense voice, cardboard characters, and jarring tonal shifts are truly the source of the novel's downfall.

"It reminds me of the worst of the EU (Expanded Universe)," wrote one Amazon user.

"As I read, I found myself not caring what happened to any of [the characters]. Whether they lived or died made no difference to me, and that's a bad sign," wrote another.

Other Amazon critics of Aftermath addressed the "diversity" (as Hall would put it) head on, writing, "This book includes 3 gay characters that feel so forced into the story. Disney is stuffing diversity down our throats and it's taking me out of my suspension of believe because it feels forced. I myself am a minority but when I read star Wars I don't want to be thinking about racial consciousness or sexual identity."

And you know, maybe some of the detractors are right. Not every form of escapist fiction has to serve as some parallel or satire of a real-life issue. The problem is, Star Wars has kind of always done that. The original trilogy, aside from creating a philosophical mythology heavily rooted in Taoism, was modeled after the fall of the democratic Roman Republic and rise of the Roman empire. Likewise, the rise in authoritarianism beginning with the Clone Wars has often been looked at as a metaphor for the United States government's actions after 9/11 (ie. The Patriot Act). Whether or not Lucas meant for these to be direct parallels remains a mystery, but the point is, it's damn near impossible to build a universe as complex as Star Wars' without drawing some influence from the one in which we live.

In order to get to the point where one's sexual, racial, and religious background is as commonplace as the car you drive, we must first introduce a wider audience to said diversity, whether it be through a Congressional act, a character in a major work of art, or otherwise. Is that up to Lucas & Co. alone to figure out? Hardly, but can we really fault them for trying to help?

Source: Pajiba [http://www.pajiba.com/star_wars/star-wars-aftermath-author-has-perfect-response-to-complaints-about-gay-characters.php]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Do I get points anymore for predicting many a disgruntled comment appearing in this thread?
Good on the writer for standing ground. Can't say i'll ever read a star wars book though. Even the films are a mildly tolerated piece of distraction.

Captcha: Am I happy? I do not know, cappy. Only you can answer that.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Are there more gay characters being added to media than accurately represents population demographics? Probably. Should we give a shit? No. Love is love, after all.

Ftaghn To You Too said:
It sounds like everyone here is kind of an asshole.
I think you just described the majority of gaming and geek culture news since 2010. (Nice Hanako avatar...)

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I like the idea of the characters, but I don't like tokenism, I just wish I didn't have to second guess everything because of identity politics screwing with everything creative in recent years.

It would depend on if that's the only real character trait about them I guess.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't remember the rebellion protecting the galaxy from the gay scourge.

09philj said:
I think you just described the majority of gaming and geek culture news since 2010. (Nice Hanako avatar...)
I'm pretty sure it's been longer than that.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
JaredJones said:
#BOOMHEADSHOT
I don't mean to seem insulting by point this out but... Really, We're putting hashtags and memes in our news pieces now? I always liked that the Escapist tried to be professional with its news, and I understand that there's a place for fun and stuff but this just seems a bit juvenile. Again, I don't mean to come across as if I'm insulting the writer, just my preference for news stories.

Anyways, not to nitpick and derail the topic. I've read reviews of Star Wars Aftermath and I've heard that it's not super good, but people review bombing it because "oh those dang dirty gays" is stupid and I doubt the inclusion of gay characters are what's preventing the book from being good. If the gay characters are just token and poorly written then that's another problem, but an agenda isn't being forced down your throat just because LGBT characters exist.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I doubt Lucas meant Attack of the Clones to be a metaphor for the patriot act, considering the act came up a mere months before the movie, well after the movie had been written and filmed, and very long after it had been outlined for the prequel trilogy. Those criticisms were made at a time when people were very jumpy about any government criticism and were made with little thought to timelines, and less to cautionary tales of history that provided the actual metaphor and reasons to question GWB's policies at the time.

OT: I get this can be a dicey area. Yes, we want inclusion and diversity, yet in a zeal to do so bland characters and overcompensation can arise. Smurfette was a move to be diverse and inclusive as well, and we look back on it as a less than stellar move because her and similar characters role and personality was "the girl", and if we aren't careful we'll look back on this as adding characters that are "the gay". Back to the other side, it's hard to make a character gay in fiction without hammering it home a bit hard because all too often, sex lives aren't relevant to the story. Even a lot of the Star Wars cast in the old EU only got their spouse and children when writers realized they gotten to 15 - 20 years after the movies and felt the side characters will have had to move on in the time frame, if they got to have a family at all. You need to do something better than a single throw away reference, or an after the fact thing like Dumbledore in Harry Potter. Too much on the other hand and yes, you put off people that don't want half a book championing how progressive it is when they want space battles. It even seems to hurt inclusion in the long run as people don't want to include people that are so defined and vocal about their status and its relation to the group, rather than just being people.

I haven't read the book (and won't until the new movie proves it's worth following an EU for) so I can't judge it, but in the past, I've found this works better for me when the character is written first, then the rest is figured out.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
it's a fabulously gay Nyan Cat meteor with a rainbow trailing behind it and your mode of thought will be extinct.
this doesnt paint him in a good manner.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
dirtysteve said:
That aside, it does look like the author was trying to make the point that if you criticise him, you MUST be a White male. It's a poor job all round there, compounded prejudice.
Well white guys do have a near monopoly of whining about stuff online.

On that note, I don't think Star Wars was really the best place for liberal propaganda on sexuality.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I get where the critics are coming from, being fed up with token correctness and all that. If something feels forced then you're free to criticize it, never mind what 'it' is.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I think it should boil down to why the author decided to include gay characters and a gay protagonist. Was it because it he thought it would make his story better? Or was it included just to make a point?

If someone is including gay/lesbian characters for no other reason than diversity, the story usually suffers for it. It's the difference between Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! One of them included gay/lesbian characters because the writers thought it would help the story. The other was included for the sake of "diversity"...in other words, to simply make a point. Judging from the author's reaction to criticism, I'm gonna guess Star Wars: Aftermath is going to fall into the later category without having read it. Still, I'll reserve judgement until I read it (if I read it) but this whole affair doesn't reflect well on the author.

boag said:
it's a fabulously gay Nyan Cat meteor with a rainbow trailing behind it and your mode of thought will be extinct.
this doesnt paint him in a good manner.
I'm inclined to agree here. This makes the author come across as one of those holier-than-thou SJW types who doesn't tolerate differences in opinion. That...was unnecessarily inflammatory.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Three gay characters all in one book, when before there was only the cat girl from KOTOR, does feel perhaps a bit forced. Maybe if there had only been one or two? I don't know.

Anyway, I bought the book. I'm going to read it, because I want to see what has become of my beloved franchise--a little worried about that present-tense thing though. I'm still sad about the E.U. getting axed (Come back, Tenel Ka and Jaina...), but I'm curious to see where they're going to go. I do remember wondering once if there were any gay characters in Star Wars a while back, and I found myself surprised that I could only think of the one.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
SlumlordThanatos said:
I think it should boil down to why the author decided to include gay characters and a gay protagonist. Was it because it he thought it would make his story better? Or was it included just to make a point?
So what about characters who are gay just because fuck it and no other reason. I don't agree that when you make a gay character for no other reason than the fuck of it you're pandering. you just like for your characters to be gay and if it's pandering but it's a good written character is it still bad? That's like saying a black character must have some kind of authentic black heritage in there back story or he's not a good character.

I haven't read the book but what you said was kind of irritating to me. I hate the fact that this seems to be a book you need to follow when you're writing a minority and if you're not following it than you're a sjw/bigot.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
valium said:
in actual news: someone does something intentionally antagonistic, resulted in backlash, more at 11.

welcome to the 11 o'clock news: surprising nobody.
That sounds suspiciously similar to something I wrote. Talk about deja vu

OT: Meh, wasn't interested in it earlier and still not interested now.

Phil the Nervous

Jun 1, 2014
Right. I'm gonna be that guy.

The phrase " Star Wars Author" is innacurate. Star Wars authors are people like Allison and Stackpole who actually built the universe. Wendig is a up and coming bandwagon-jumping sycophant who's never written a sci-fi novel before Disney tapped him for the EU [http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/tag_author.cgi?31+29798url].

It's the publicity game. None of these people care about you except for the fact that you might be buying their books.