More Details on the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Save-Corrupting Bug

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
More Details on the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Save-Corrupting Bug

Konami has posted an update on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's non-progression bug.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142309-Konami-Warns-that-MGSV-Bug-May-Corrupt-Game-Save-Files] of a bug that corrupted game save data under specific circumstances. The bug affected saves when players brought Quiet as a buddy for Mission 29 and Mission 42. This issue is known to affect the game on all platforms.

Konami has posted an update [http://www.konami.jp/mgs_portal/jp/info/?id=677], informing players that they can still safely use Quiet in these missions if they use the Butterfly Emblem throughout the mission, or avoid raising their Bond Level with Quiet to MAX during the course of the mission.

"The team is currently working on a patch to fix the bug and repair any save data affected by the issue," the post continues. "Further updates will be announced soon. In the meantime, we apologize deeply for the problem and thank you for your continued patience as we work to resolve the issue."

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain released on September 1 for PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS3.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Man this is a REALLY hyper specific bug. Fixing this one must be a royal pain.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Ushiromiya Battler said:
So when are they going to let us turn off the FoB like they said we could?
What, play offline? You can, press the menu button and "Disconnect".

Im guessing its that what you are asking for.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
The team is currently working on a patch to fix the bug and repair any save data affected by the issue
Repair the corrupted save data? Not often you see a company go to that much effort. Gotta give them props for that, if nothing else.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
josemlopes said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

Doesn't help, your FoB is still online and every time you enter the game you are automatically online. The only way to get out of it is firewalling your game.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Ushiromiya Battler said:
josemlopes said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

Doesn't help, your FoB is still online and every time you enter the game you are automatically online. The only way to get out of it is firewalling your game.
I'm starting to get annoyed by the FoB I keep getting raided every time I'm offline.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Ushiromiya Battler said:
josemlopes said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

Doesn't sound right. If you are playing offline you won't be getting updates from the server, which means you're game is not updating resources..

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Valkrex said:
Man this is a REALLY hyper specific bug. Fixing this one must be a royal pain.
A phantom pain you could say.

OT: I guess I don't need to worry about making it to mission 42, episode 36 has me stopped dead in my tracks for the moment.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Meanwhile I have encountered a game breaking glitch where a key custscene won't trigger no matter what I try, and I've scoured the forums and no one else seems to have the same problem. Infuriating.

Edit: Reinstalling the game fixed the problem. Thank goodness for steam cloud saves.
The glitch was in the mission Hellbound, the door to the hangar where The scientist guy is wouldn't open for love nor money, I was walking around a base full of dead or unconcious and the doors just remaining shut for hours on end.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Revolutionary said:
Meanwhile I have encountered a game breaking glitch where a key custscene won't trigger no matter what I try, and I've scoured the forums and no one else seems to have the same problem. Infuriating.
Care to share what episode or what it is with a /spoilers tag? I'm curious and wondering if I'm past that point.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Makabriel said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:
josemlopes said:
Ushiromiya Battler said:

Doesn't sound right. If you are playing offline you won't be getting updates from the server, which means you're game is not updating resources..
See, that would have made sense, but as long as we're automatically logged in to the servers when we open the game we still lose staff and resources.
As I said only way to stop it is to forcefully block the game in your firewall.
That isn't what they promised us.

It might be different on consoles btw, I'm speaking from experience on the PC.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I find this a little bit suspicious. Don't worry, I'll section off any spoilers.

I purchased the strategy guide the other day, and there was a section referring to a "secret mission". When you turn to that page in the book, there is a small paragraph that just says "Konami asked us not to reveal how to unlock the secret mission, or reveal anything about it", along with a URL and QR code, both of which just point to PiggyBack's page where you can purchase the book you're currently holding in your hands that gave you the URL in the first place.

After Googling around, some other people have found ways to unlock that secret mission, along with something interesting about that butterfly emblem. Spoilers ahoy:

Side Op 150 contains the finale to Quiet's story, and one of the requirements to unlock it is to never use the butterfly emblem.

The full list is here, but again, massive spoilers if you haven't finished the game yet.

http://www.gosunoob.com/metal-gear-solid-5/how-to-unlock-secret-mission-46/