Not That Easy - How to Buy Fallout 4

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Not That Easy - How to Buy Fallout 4

We here at the Escapist want to help you navigate the gaming pre-order stock market, and get you the riches that you deserve. Because there are good reasons to pre-order a game, to buy a special edition, and to invest in a season pass. For example?

Read Full Article

PapaGamer

May 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure during their E3 presentation, Bethesda said you could use the app independent of the Pip Boy replica. The Pip Boy is just a smartphone case and doesn't contain any functionality on its own.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
All very insightful, but for one small problem. There is a likelyhood that if you're here for Fallout 4, you will have played Fallouts 3 and New Vegas already. Now, that's not a guarantee, but I personally have Game of the Year Edition, myself.

Additional: I lament that the Pipboy was just a smartphone peripheral and not a cool personal collectible that functioned exactly like a Pipboy does. True, smartphones are neat, but I never really wanted one.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
I'm gonna be the grumpy cat with a resounding NO to all three questions.
It might be because I'm a poor-ass university student jealous of all the people enjoying their Fallout 4 by November 10, but I don't see the reason for endorsing the pre-order model. Not only is it a mess but also:

As FalloutJack already stated, most people going after Fallout 4 have already played 3 and NV. That's basically giving people what they already have, not what they want.

Season pass is an automatic wait-and-see for me. Bethesda does have a pretty good track record but that does not exempt them from scrutiny. Paying for stuff that is not finished yet is weird. Paying for stuff that is not even promised to be made is bonkers. Oh yes, they said there will be DLCs. Did they say anything as to their content? For all we know it could be a brahmin saddle.

And unless one is a hoarder, special and collector editions are mostly wastes of space and money. Let the junk gather dust is all it lets you do.

Jan 12, 2012
FalloutJack said:
All very insightful, but for one small problem. There is a likelyhood that if you're here for Fallout 4, you will have played Fallouts 3 and New Vegas already. Now, that's not a guarantee, but I personally have Game of the Year Edition, myself.

Additional: I lament that the Pipboy was just a smartphone peripheral and not a cool personal collectible that functioned exactly like a Pipboy does. True, smartphones are neat, but I never really wanted one.
On the other hand, Fallout 3 came out 7 years ago. It's entirely possible that you played it and enjoyed it then, but it's since been sold/broken/otherwise become unavailable to you (I know my own copy is long gone). I didn't like 3, but I know many who did who would love to get it again.

Agree that the Pipboy was a letdown; I didn't understand all the fuss people were kicking up over a big plastic bracelet that holds your phone.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Question, and a legit one at that.

What makes you think the people who care about FO4, haven't played FO3?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I guess I'm a hoarder then. I got the Pip-Boy edition the night it was revealed, and I don't regret the purchase one little bit.

I'm usually not the special edition kind of gamer. But Fallout and Dead Rising are my favorites so I'll often get the extras for those games since I enjoy them so much.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Step one: wait a year for a sale on the GOTY or complete edition, which will come with everything I wanted minus the Pip-Boy I can't get and couldn't justify anyway.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
FalloutJack said:

On the other hand, Fallout 3 came out 7 years ago. It's entirely possible that you played it and enjoyed it then, but it's since been sold/broken/otherwise become unavailable to you (I know my own copy is long gone). I didn't like 3, but I know many who did who would love to get it again.

Agree that the Pipboy was a letdown; I didn't understand all the fuss people were kicking up over a big plastic bracelet that holds your phone.
Esp when you can get one on Etsy that probably is nicer and costs less.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This will be the first Fallout game I play, and it looks fantastic.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
The only way to play Fallout 3 correctly is on PC. There are a couple of mods out there that make the game actually good.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Firefilm said:
Because there are good reasons to pre-order a game... and to invest in a season pass
No there aren't, and this article certainly didn't show anything to change that.

yellost

Nov 7, 2011
I can't believe they didn't put a proper artbook in the collector's edition. Especially after the fantastic one that was in the Skyrim CE... I ended up cancelling my pre order because of that. The pip boy is nice but definitely not worth it on its own :(

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Here's how to buy Fallout 4. It's actually pretty easy:

Wait until the Game of the Year (or Ultimate) Edition is released, after a year or so.
Buy it. Or wait for a sale and then buy it.

You will have every single thing you want ingame.