Legendary and Warner Bros. Are Reuniting For a King Kong vs. Godzilla Movie

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Legendary and Warner Bros. Are Reuniting For a King Kong vs. Godzilla Movie

Despite parting ways last year, Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. studios announced plans to team up (sort of) for a meeting of their most infamous monsters.

Well, this is awesome news. Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/09/king-kong-godzilla-legendary-monster-movie-warner-bros-1201521004/] is reporting that Legendary Pictures -- who parted ways with Warner Bros. last year to team up with Universal -- is shipping their Kong: Skull Island project over to their former partners in order to set up a collaborative "King Kong vs. Godzilla" feature down the line.

Legendary head Thomas Tull will be overseeing the transfer, and as part of the agreement, Legendary will also produce sequels to Gareth Edwards' 2014 take on Godzilla, as will Toho, the Japanese company who owns Godzilla.

Why all this transferring and whathaveyou? Well, in addition to owning the rights to the new Godzilla franchise (and partnering with Legendary to produce last year's aforementioned smash hit), Warner Bros. just happens to own the rights to King Kong. And while they have previously leased said rights to Paramount to make King Kong (1976) and King Kong Lives (1986), and Universal to make Peter Jackson's 2005 clunker, the Warner Bros. head brass would prefer for the next chapter in the Kong saga to remain under one roof. Specifically, theirs. Hence, this current deal which will benefit both parties.

Skull Island is currently still casting, but Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and Corey Hawkins are attached to star, and Samuel L. Jackson and John C. Reilly are also being tapped to fill major roles as well. Godzilla 2, is set for a June 8, 2018 release date, but few other details about the picture having been released thus far -- other than that it will bring Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah into the mix.

Even though this is dipping dangerously close to MCU-level planning/teasing, this is incredible news that any fan of either franchise should be amped to hear. In fact, I think there's only one way to celebrate this...with the punishing music of Gojira [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHlZwMYO9g] and this clip from the 1962 classic, King Kong vs. Godzilla, which remains one of my favorite movies of all time.

More on this colossal story as it develops.

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/09/king-kong-godzilla-legendary-monster-movie-warner-bros-1201521004/]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Unless they're adding Matador Fury and/or Striker Eureka, I ain't interested. Call me spoiled but giant monster movies without giant robots to fight just seems like a waste of a monster.

Its like making a 40k movie that doesn't include Space Marines. Just a waste of source material and potential.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
Its like making a 40k movie that doesn't include Space Marines. Just a waste of source material and potential.
But I liked Event Horizon.

OT; Isn't Godzilla like a thousand times the size of King Kong? Pretty short fight.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Whats the chance it's going to be a lot more about the soldiers/reporters/whatever than the two main features?

"I have had it with these motherfucking monsters stealing my motherfucking screen-time!"

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Nazulu said:
Whats the chance it's going to be a lot more about the soldiers/reporters/whatever than the two main features?

"I have had it with these motherfucking monsters stealing my motherfucking screen-time!"
I hope it features a king kong brought back to life with necromancy powers. That could peek my interest.

On the bright side, I've been waiting twenty years for a Primal Rage movie. I was scared that Hollywood had forgotten.

Or maybe king kong and godzilla team up and confront the real monster. Man!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Now damnit, why can't Marvel, Sony, and Fox play nice like this? :mad:

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Because Sony and Marvel are, and Fox has a reliable income from the X-men.

OT: well, I know next to nothing about this movie and am already sold.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Fox12 said:
Nazulu said:

I hope it features a king kong brought back to life with necromancy powers. That could peek my interest.

On the bright side, I've been waiting twenty years for a Primal Rage movie. I was scared that Hollywood had forgotten.

Or maybe king kong and godzilla team up and confront the real monster. Man!
Necromancy huh? Kinky

As for facing man, it's not very often the losers ARE THE MAIN CHARACTERS!!!!!

Hahhahahhaa!!

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Bleugh, call me when they make a crossover between Godzilla and Ultraman (and no, that one Ultraman episode with the repurposed Godzilla suit doesn't count).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yay, another franchise throwing its hat into the shared cinematic universe ring...

Let's keep this up until no movie has any identity of its own left anymore, and all movies have been mixed together into one big grey porridge.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
This is going to be cool, especially since the original only had to increase King Kong's size to match up with the 50 m Godzilla, but the new Legendary Godzilla is like 150 m high.
Still, I'll watch and likely enjoy this.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Well, they are. [http://variety.com/2015/film/news/spider-man-marvel-sony-movies-1201429508/]
Casual Shinji said:
Yay, another franchise throwing its hat into the shared cinematic universe ring...

Let's keep this up until no movie has any identity of its own left anymore, and all movies have been mixed together into one big grey porridge.
You can't really add this to that trend though. Because as even the article shows us, even back in the 60's these monster movie icons already met up. So this is, for them, nothing new.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Bryan Cranston ressurrects as giant zombie ninja with terrifying mutations. Only the double team kingZilla can take him down! With their power suit armor! If it has none of this then I am out.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
008Zulu said:
Silentpony said:
But I liked Event Horizon.

OT; Isn't Godzilla like a thousand times the size of King Kong? Pretty short fight.
Depends on which Godzilla movie, he has varied from a small 50M In the 1954-1975 + 2001 movies, and the largest being 120-150M in the newest 2014 movie, King Kong is only 45M so unless they go for the old version instead of the more likely new version King Kong will be a 3rd of the size, guess they will just pump up King Kong to 150M aswell.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well if they make it they better have lots of Godzilla and Kong in it, if not then they might as well not bother. The 2014 Godzilla movie was a disappointment for me as Godzilla was a cameo in a movie about soldiers finding a nuclear bomb.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:

You can't really add this to that trend though. Because as even the article shows us, even back in the 60's these monster movie icons already met up. So this is, for them, nothing new.
Yeah, but I can bet you that'll be their aim for this. Superman and Batman also got together decades ago, but the reason they're doing it now for the movie is to set up a row of sequels. Hollywood's realized geeks go crazy for mash-ups, and they're going to exploit that to the fullest.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:

Yeah, but I can bet you that'll be their aim for this. Superman and Batman also got together decades ago, but the reason they're doing it now for the movie is to set up a row of sequels. Hollywood's realized geeks go crazy for mash-ups, and they're going to exploit that to the fullest.
True, but then again; it didn't lead to comics turning into one big grey porridge. I don't see a reason why it would do that for movies either. What does seem to do is to bring the convoluted of comics into movies. And I'm not too sure if I'm happy with that. But at least Godzilla en King Kong have the advantage of being delightfully simplistic.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
No...not again please god damn it no. You can get away with it in a silly 70's movie with men in suits but god damn it King Kong is tooo small and too DEAD! To fight Godzilla.

MtnGamer

Jun 21, 2012
This pair of monsters is such a strange pairing, even for the 1962 version. I see these two as creatures of different genres. I see King Kong more as a fantasy creature, something that lives in a world of Harryhausen creations like living dinosaurs, larger-than-life animals, Cyclops and Skeletons. King Kong is fantastical, Godzilla is a force of nature. It's hard to describe, but these two just never mixed for me.

Personally this new movie will be a popcorn matinee, nothing for me to get worked up about.