Don't Want Windows 10? You Probably Downloaded It Anyway

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Don't Want Windows 10? You Probably Downloaded It Anyway

Microsoft may still download Windows 10's massive install files to your computer without your express consent.

Microsoft finally released its Windows 10 operating system two months ago, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/scienceandtech/14393-Windows-10-Should-Be-the-Last-OS-You-Will-Ever-Need>it's pretty good all things considered. And it's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140986-Microsoft-Windows-10-Availability-Date-Is-July-29-Supports-Cortana-And-Xbox-One>completely free for Windows 7 and 8 users right now, so upgrading is easy. But what if you don't want Windows 10? Perhaps you're concerned about compatibility with Windows 7 games, or maybe you're rather wait until your next computer. Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter - you likely downloaded 3 to 6GB of install files anyway, which is just sitting there in your hard drive.

The realization was discovered by an Inquirer reader who found the huge "$Windows.~BT" install folder on his hard drive. He also noted repeated failure to upgrade notifications on his Windows Update history, despite never reserving the Windows 10 update.

"I know of two instances where people on metered connections went over their data cap for August because of this unwanted download," the source wrote. "My own internet (slow DSL) was crawling for a week or so until I discovered this problem. In fact, that's what led me to it. Not only does it download, it tries to install every time the computer is booted."

So what's happening? According to Microsoft, if your Windows Update settings are automatic, it will download Windows 10 anyway - even if you never requested it or plan to install it. "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they'll need if they decide to upgrade," a Microsoft rep explained. "When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device."

Sure, Microsoft's policy might be helpful if you have an unlimited internet plan with fast speeds, and happen to change your mind on Windows 10. But <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142002-Microsoft-Windows-10s-Mandatory-Updates-Could-Be-Blowing-Through-Data-Caps-In-Remote-Locations>as we've already explained, this isn't the case for all Microsoft customers. This isn't a tiny Windows update - it's an entire operating system which tears through data plans if you're not ready for it. And that's not even addressing any potential problems if you're carefully managing limited space on your hard drives.

For now, I suppose the only solution is to disable automatic updates, which has its own risks. But if you already use automatic updates, the odds seem pretty high Windows 10 is on your hard drive already.

Source: <a href=http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case>The Inquirer

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My friend upgraded to W10, 95% of his games broke.

He downgraded back to W7, his games started working again.

I think I'll stick to 7 for now, there's apparently a problem with W10 not liking DirectX.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The reason that []I[/i] downloaded it despite not wanting it is the fact that I'm desperate to fit in.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:

I think I'll stick to 7 for now, there's apparently a problem with W10 not liking DirectX.

Lots of users at my company want to upgrade but we have to keep turning them away (im in IT) our AV does not work with 10 most of our peripherals dont work with 10. its not a bad operating system, its just gonna need some time to catch up and get everything working. As a former Mac fan (I loathe everything Mavericks + ) and avid gamer I am kind of a man without a country if I want to buy a new device... rough times

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
And is anyone surprised at this. Microsoft since WIndows Vista has shown increasing levels of disconcern with the wants and needs of their users in favour of pushing their own agenda. Oh you liked the start menu. Tough tits you'll use Metro and like it. mean it's not unlike the Xbone... at launche. Don't like Kinect Well you're gonna get it anyway and you can't turn it off. SO sucjk it.

Don't wanna download W10... well we're gonna dloa it and chew up your bandwidth and HD space for no reason anyway.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8.1

Let's just say that I'm not going back to 8.1 any time soon (if ever).

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Does anyone konw the exact, um, "place" those files are saved to? Which folder?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
microsoft.. here is our new windows we are sure you will like it please use it

me.. no thank you

microsoft.. here just let me download it

me.. no than.. you pricks

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Ha, yep got it on my hdd too. Only reason I haven't switched to it yet is because I'm not sure some of the old software I use for my job will work with it & don't really want the hassle of switching back.
Mister K said:
Your main hard drive folder, first item, well it was for me anyway.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
MonsterCrit said:
And is anyone surprised at this. Microsoft since WIndows Vista has shown increasing levels of disconcern with the wants and needs of their users in favour of pushing their own agenda. Oh you liked the start menu. Tough tits you'll use Metro and like it. mean it's not unlike the Xbone... at launche. Don't like Kinect Well you're gonna get it anyway and you can't turn it off. SO sucjk it.

Don't wanna download W10... well we're gonna dloa it and chew up your bandwidth and HD space for no reason anyway.
To top it off they also quietly added updates to Windows 7 and 8 that added the data collection and tracking features from Windows 10. I didn't upgrade to 10 specifically because of privacy/security concerns, so I guess thanks for proving me right Microsoft. It's nice to know they've moved from simply being tone-deaf to actively removing the concept of choice.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Mr Fixit said:
Ha, yep got it on my hdd too. Only reason I haven't switched to it yet is because I'm not sure some of the old software I use for my job will work with it & don't really want the hassle of switching back.
Mister K said:
Thanks. It is named $Windows.~BT for me. It takes 4.19 GB of my HDD space. Well, whatever, I still have my Win 7 disk and if those bastards decide to force me to upgrade, then I SHALL CLEANS IT OF THIS UNHOLY FILTH AND DELIVER THE AWESOMNESS THAT IS WIN 7 UNTO MY PC!

EDIT: *cough* Sorry for unleashing my inner priest.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
If you're worried about your data cap don't have automatic updates on. To then complain that Microsoft is doing what you asked it to do is asinine.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Xeorm said:
If you're worried about your data cap don't have automatic updates on. To then complain that Microsoft is doing what you asked it to do is asinine.
There's a huge difference between wanting the latest security patches and wanting a new operating system. I'd say it's pretty reasonable to be surprised by it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:

Or maybe your friend screwed-up. I've only had minor problems and even then upgrading is a shitty way to judge an OS - a reformat should always be done when changing OS. I remember trying to install GPU drivers and for some reason it not "recognise" Win 10 as my current OS but in fact my previous OS Win 7.

They do mention that Win 10 will be downloaded in the background. If you do not want this to happen you'll have to remove the relevant KBs. You can upgrade at any time using the media creation tool that is available on the MS website.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mister K said:
Mr Fixit said:
Mister K said:
Thanks. It is named $Windows.~BT for me. It takes 4.19 GB of my HDD space. Well, whatever, I still have my Win 7 disk and if those bastards decide to force me to upgrade, then I SHALL CLEANS IT OF THIS UNHOLY FILTH AND DELIVER THE AWESOMNESS THAT IS WIN 7 UNTO MY PC!

EDIT: *cough* Sorry for unleashing my inner priest.
If Windows 10 does upgrade (which it shouldn't) there is an option in the control panel to revert to the old operating system. That being said, if you format after the upgrade that option won't exist anymore.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Huh.

And I was just explaining to my utterly tech-illiterate mother that her laptop spontaneously upgrading to Windows 10 without prompting her first would be ridiculous.

Oh dear.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Xeorm said:
There's a huge difference between wanting the latest security patches and wanting a new operating system. I'd say it's pretty reasonable to be surprised by it.
I'd say it's pretty reasonable to demand Micro$oft pay for any excess data charges.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Micro$oft quashing the little guy! How out of touch and stupid do you need to be? Newsflash microsoft not everyone has fast internet with unlimited data, actually most people don't...I'm glad that I don't have windows set to auto update