Resident Evil Squad Shooter Umbrella Corps Coming in 2016

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Resident Evil Squad Shooter Umbrella Corps Coming in 2016

Survival horror series going full third-person shooter in next entry.

Capcom has announced a new spin-off game in the Resident Evil series, a third-person multiplayer shooter titled, Umbrella Corps. The digital title coming to PlayStation 4 and PC in early 2016 will feature close quarters, 3v3 team combat in stages based on notable environments from the franchise's history. In addition to fighting members of the opposing team, players will also have to deal with a population of zombies and other Resident Evil enemies.

In terms of the game's placement in the Resident Evil universe, the setting material seems fairly simple. Players are mercenary squads hired by corporations to undergo experimental battles in restricted areas affected by the various virus outbreaks resulting from Umbrella Corp research. I don't entirely understand why the experiments consist of two mercenary teams fighting each other instead of mercenary teams fighting the biological weapons, but if I had a nickel for every thing about Resident Evil I didn't understand the reasoning for, I'd be on an island that I bought with my obscene wealth right now.

A trailer has been released to accompany the announcement, which shows some of the equipment available to players. These include a melee axe (the "Brainer"), boot-mounted spikes for stomping, and an arm-mounted guard that allows the use of a zombie as a shield. The game will also feature an analog cover system.

[gallery=4706]

One game mode has been revealed, One Life Match, which is exactly what it sounds like. In the mode, players do not respawn after death with the objective being elimination of the opposing team. A playable demo of the mode will be available at Tokyo Game Show this week.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Corps will priced at $29.99 when it releases next year.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Even if it turns out to actually be a good good, the fact that it's wrapped in a Resident Evil skin will just be a detriment to it.

Capcom. If you want to make new games in other genres, make games in new genres. If you want to make Resident Evil games, make Resident Evil games. Don't keep draping Resident Evil across half the games you make purely for the name-recognition.

Also, maybe make some Mega Man while you're at it? I know it isn't Resident Evil, or easily adapted to be a Resident Evil game, but come on.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
rcs619 said:
Even if it turns out to actually be a good good, the fact that it's wrapped in a Resident Evil skin will just be a detriment to it.

Capcom. If you want to make new games in other genres, make games in new genres. If you want to make Resident Evil games, make Resident Evil games. Don't keep draping Resident Evil across half the games you make purely for the name-recognition.

Also, maybe make some Mega Man while you're at it? I know it isn't Resident Evil, or easily adapted to be a Resident Evil game, but come on.
Dont worry, they will get you loud and clear. MegaMan-Rez Evil game coming shortly

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I experienced a bit of an emotional elevator/lift here (it's a french expression I'm trying to make work in english)..

Initially excited as I'm one of those who actually enjoyed Raccoon City (I like coop and squad games, and being part of a squad running around resi evil locales killing monsters was fun for me) only to then be dismayed at reading "3v3".

Aw fuck it's a competitive multi game? And so my interest vanished just as suddenly as it came.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Didn't Raccoon city just drop like two years ago, and wasn't it unsuccessful?

I'll give them this, at least they seem to be budgeting it reasonably.
Unfortunately, yes.

I actually liked the idea of Raccoon City, but the execution fell flat.
But this does seem to be much more versus focused.

Sep 24, 2008
Capcom, if you're going to do something, figure out how to make Outbreak [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_Outbreak] work.

Internet speeds and architecture has improved around 10 times what it was since you released the game in 2003 (1.5 times improved if you live in the US). Left 4 Dead already showed we LIKE cooperating with each other to get things done. Now adding puzzle solving and what not? It could be great.

... Why try to re-do (spiritually) Operation Raccoon City instead of making Outbreak good?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
ObsidianJones said:
Capcom, if you're going to do something, figure out how to make Outbreak [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_Outbreak] work.

Internet speeds and architecture has improved around 10 times what it was since you released the game in 2003 (1.5 times improved if you live in the US). Left 4 Dead already showed we LIKE cooperating with each other to get things done. Now adding puzzle solving and what not? It could be great.

... Why try to re-do (spiritually) Operation Raccoon City instead of making Outbreak good?
Heck I would love an HD re-releases of Outbreak 1 and 2.

Zombie Elephant guys, nuff said.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How exactly was that Resident Evil???

Removing the title, no one could had tell it was from that game franchise as I don't recalled seeing that Brainer weapon (well ok I'm not up to date wit hteh game).

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Uuuuugh Capcom...you idiots. People still remember Raccoon City. It's too soon to do this again. You release this after people's new found faith in you is rewarded. AKA, after you show that you still know how to make a Resident Evil game (Which I'm still not convinced) with the RE2 remake!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Frankster said:
I experienced a bit of an emotional elevator/lift here (it's a french expression I'm trying to make work in english)..

Initially excited as I'm one of those who actually enjoyed Raccoon City (I like coop and squad games, and being part of a squad running around resi evil locales killing monsters was fun for me) only to then be dismayed at reading "3v3".

Aw fuck it's a competitive multi game? And so my interest vanished just as suddenly as it came.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who enjoyed that game. And glad to see I wasn't the only one who got their hopes up after reading the header. And finally, glad to see I wasn't the only one who immediately lost interest as soon as "3v3" showed up. Like, seriously, I had the exact same reaction as you at the exact same spot in the story. Sigh...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
And Capcom continues to flounder on by sticking the names of its still-popular franchises onto anything it can get out the door.

Conrad Zimmerman said:
...but if I had a nickel for every thing about Resident Evil I didn't understand the reasoning for, I'd be on an island that I bought with my obscene wealth right now.
Hell, I'd be residing on an island composed entirely of nickels. Just the idea of Umbrella becoming a worldwide behemoth with a military force rivaling that of many first-world countries (without said first-world countries even really noticing), while burdened with batshit-crazy executives who come up with ideas like "turn an entire city into a puzzle adventure", "seed local police forces with unstable megalomaniacs" and "indiscriminately murder your best scientists at the first sign of problems", makes my brain cry.

One of the reasons I liked RE4 so much was because it ditched Umbrella and Raccoon City entirely.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
And Capcom continues to flounder on by sticking the names of its still-popular franchises onto anything it can get out the door.

Conrad Zimmerman said:
...but if I had a nickel for every thing about Resident Evil I didn't understand the reasoning for, I'd be on an island that I bought with my obscene wealth right now.
Hell, I'd be residing on an island composed entirely of nickels.
I doubt there's enough Nickle to actually make me a pile of Nickles the size of Phobos.

I would love to go to an Umbrella Shareholders meeting, just to see the agenda.

Item 1: Last years profit/loss statements
Item 2: New CEO speech "How murdering an entire city after we made several hundred million dollar investments in it was a benefit to our profit Margin"
Item 3: Introduction of this week's 27th new head of Research and Development
Item 4: Discussion on the expansion of our new program to create biological abominations to both God and man.
Lunch in the Atrium, cooked over a massive pile of burning Money.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
I feel you bro xD It's a shame, games like ORC fill a very particular niche that few other games bother to fill.

What really rubs salt in the wounds is reading everyone elses comments :(
The way people talk of Raccoon City as if it was some abomination on par with Superman 64 or ET further kills any chance of getting the kinda coop squad game we want.

ObsidianJones said:
Because :

1) Raccoon City was a GOOD idea, heck I remember most people on these forums were excited at the announcement back in the day.

2) This isn't the spiritual successor of ORC, not by a long shot. ORC didn't have a sole emphasis on team vs team gameplay, that was probably the weakest element of that game if anything.

3)Why not both? Is there really no room in the world for a good ORC and outbreak game?

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
The hardcore RE elite are well aware that this is just an attempt to make a Mercenaries Mode* its own game. Should be interesting, but only really going to be for the fans of Mercenary Mode, I think.

*Mercenary Mode had been in the last umpteen RE games in some fashion or another as a pvp add-on and has been quite popular among a certain percentage of RE fans.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
There was already a straight up 3rd person shooter. It was called Operation Raccoon City. Supposedly a re-telling of the events of RE2-RE3 but from the perspective of the Umbrella task force sent to contain the outbreak.

There was also the Outbreak games before that.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
I dont see the apeal.

You want to tell me that its simply a corridor based, 3v3vhandfullofzombies based shooter in the dark?

Why would anyone want to buy this again? The whole premise sounds utterly boring. Dont get me wrong, the animation looks great.. capcom does have a great art and animation team... but they couldnt come up with anything better then this?

Not only that but its only 3vs3? Truly next gen ladies and gentlemen... the new generation of consoles aparantly means we get less players involved into multyplayer game modes then ever before!

And ofcourse... why resident evil? So we can put zombies in it? And who is the other team suposed to be? Is it another umbrella team? The footage was way to dark to even tell who was on whos side and who was the enemy.

Also a 3vs3 limitation will also mean tiny maps.. so that people will actually be able to find each other... exciting isnt it?

Resident evil is the perfect setting for coop games ala left4dead as mentioned earlier by others in this thread.... why capcom instead tries its hand at a gimped team fortress game i dont know.

Look.. there is a wide open gap for multyplayer coop titles while competitive team based shooters are pretty much satiated everywhere you look, not only that but all those competitive multyplayer shooters have gone down the drain allmost instantly.. look at titanfall for example.... you simply cant compete with team fortress and counterstrike and hope to be relevant more then a month out.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
MarsAtlas said:
Didn't Raccoon city just drop like two years ago, and wasn't it unsuccessful?

I'll give them this, at least they seem to be budgeting it reasonably.
Quite so, largely because the friendly AI that was so critical to the much touted tactical anti-zombie gameplay was utterly and completely retarded. I did the campaign co-operatively with a friend to compensate and we *still* had to deal with our AI medics standing and drooling inside raging fires, our snipers going knife-to-claw with Tyrants and our assault troopers running into their own bloody grenade explosion range!

OT

While I do like online shooters with an abundence of gas-masks, and found the sadly unexplored concept of biological super weapons taking part in conventional warfare in Resident Evil 6 most intriguing, I still remember how crappy Operation Racoon City was, so colour me mildly interested for the time being.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Is there any reason, other than "brand recognition", for this game to even have Resident Evil in the title?

Also, are they even making money with their Syphon Filter: Zombies series that RE has turned into after RE4? Or is Operation Raccoon Glitches and Resident Evil 6: Paul W. S. Anderson Was Right pulling in the same numbers as Resident Evil: The Remake: The Remaster?