When Friends Become Foes in Fire Emblem Fates

Jenni Lada

Sep 15, 2015
When Friends Become Foes in Fire Emblem Fates

Winners tell the tales when it comes to war. This is especially true in games. Yet with Fire Emblem Fates, Intelligent Systems' strategic 3DS game, the developer challenges established mores.

Read Full Article

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I had heard that Fire Emblem Fates would be split into two games that either had to be bought separately or downloaded as DLC...or something along those lines.

I probably missed something important since I heard there would be two campaigns. Can someone clear this up for me?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
I had heard that Fire Emblem Fates would be split into two games that either had to be bought separately or downloaded as DLC...or something along those lines.

I probably missed something important since I heard there would be two campaigns. Can someone clear this up for me?
There are two full campaigns - Birthright follows the Hosido campaign and their victory, while Conquest follows the Nohr side of the story and their victory.

There is a third campaign Invisible Kingdom, which is the "true" ending to the game (since, if Fates is set before Awakening like it is implied to be, both Nohr and Hosido must survive in some form in order to form the Cho'sin Dynasties and Walhart Empire that are in Awakening) is available only if you get the Collector's Edition (which hasn't even been announced in US or EU yet) or if you buy the whole game on the Nintendo E-Shop.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
SlumlordThanatos said:

There are two full campaigns - Birthright follows the Hosido campaign and their victory, while Conquest follows the Nohr side of the story and their victory.

There is a third campaign Invisible Kingdom, which is the "true" ending to the game (since, if Fates is set before Awakening like it is implied to be, both Nohr and Hosido must survive in some form in order to form the Cho'sin Dynasties and Walhart Empire that are in Awakening) is available only if you get the Collector's Edition (which hasn't even been announced in US or EU yet) or if you buy the whole game on the Nintendo E-Shop.
So to get the true ending I have to buy a collectors edition (which knowing Nintendo's track record only 5 will be made), or buy the games digitally which eats up a shitton of space?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Paragon Fury said:
SlumlordThanatos said:

So to get the true ending I have to buy a collectors edition (which knowing Nintendo's track record only 5 will be made), or buy the games digitally which eats up a shitton of space?
If I remember correctly you can also just buy one of the two versions (digital or physical) and then buy Invisible Kingdom as a DLC, so you don't have to get the CE or the more expensive both version digitally if you don't want to.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I played Hoshido first before completing Invisible Kingdom, and then finally Nohr, basically moving up in difficulty, and I must say that playing Nohr makes little sense in terms of narrative especially considering Kamui's personalty. I get what IntSys was trying to go for but they could have wrote it better in my opinion. Also:

So much for "Birthright" as the name for siding with Hoshido when they're not your actual blood related siblings either.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I love the Fire Emblem series so I gotta ask. Is the relationship system as jarring as the promotional stuff I've seen for the game suggests? You talk about it seeming more real as it shows both sides, something I can appreciate, but never has the entire cast of a FE game made me groan so hard. It's like the line up of a bad dating sim, not a single character looks over the age of 25, not a single guy has facial hair and some of the costumes the gals wear make me cringe. Let me take a guess, the older brothers are all stoic/determined, the younger brothers are all rash, the older sisters are maternal while the younger sisters are all ONI-CHAAAN!

F*ck! How can it feel like a real war when everyone involved looks like they fell out of a bad visual novel... I really hope I'm wrong.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
PunkRex said:
I love the Fire Emblem series so I gotta ask. Is the relationship system as jarring as the promotional stuff I've seen for the game suggests? You talk about it seeming more real as it shows both sides, something I can appreciate, but never has the entire cast of a FE game made me groan so hard. It's like the line up of a bad dating sim, not a single character looks over the age of 25, not a single guy has facial hair and some of the costumes the gals wear make me cringe. Let me take a guess, the older brothers are all stoic/determined, the younger brothers are all rash, the older sisters are maternal while the younger sisters are all ONI-CHAAAN!

F*ck! How can it feel like a real war when everyone involved looks like they fell out of a bad visual novel... I really hope I'm wrong.
You realize that that describes Awakening too for the most part, right? It's only logical that they'd continue on the route that brings them the Tumblr and Otaku money, only more so now that anybody of any gender can boink anybody else, including incest. That's also why there's a Phoenix Mode, because when I think if Fire Emblem I think overwrought anime dating sim. This is what a post-Awakening world looks like, friend. Not pretty, is it?

If we're lucky, the supposedly more tactical Nohr playthrough will get us past the cringe worthy story and characters. If not, then FE is officially no longer for the crowd that's been following it for the past decade and some; we'll just have to hang tight to Blazing Sword and Path of Radiance as we cry ourselves to sleep at night.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Supahewok said:
PunkRex said:
snipity snip
You realize that that describes Awakening too for the most part, right? It's only logical that they'd continue on the route that brings them the Tumblr and Otaku money, only more so now that anybody of any gender can boink anybody else, including incest. That's also why there's a Phoenix Mode, because when I think if Fire Emblem I think overwrought anime dating sim. This is what a post-Awakening world looks like, friend. Not pretty, is it?

If we're lucky, the supposedly more tactical Nohr playthrough will get us past the cringe worthy story and characters. If not, then FE is officially no longer for the crowd that's been following it for the past decade and some; we'll just have to hang tight to Blazing Sword and Path of Radiance as we cry ourselves to sleep at night.
Awakening was full to burst with the animu cliches but it at least had some redeeming features; the female chracters clothing was MOSTLY sensible and there were still characters like Kellem, Gregor, Say'ri and Basilo mixed in to counteract the kawaii-factor but Fates, not a single character looks even remotely capable... okay, maybe Benoit, Gunter and Saizou... and the captured characters... what the hell does that mean, do we get to use them?