8 Videogame Hoaxes that You Might Have Believed

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Videogame Hoaxes that You Might Have Believed

How many of these eight videogame hoaxes did you fall for?

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"...And click on it the right number of times..."

Oh, Jesus. For a hyperactive and credulous child just into video games, those lies are never forgotten.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I did the Mew one. I found that truck. I got to that island. I tried pushing it from all sides. I was so disappointed when it didn't work. I was afraid I had done something wrong. I tried and tried so hard to move that stupid truck.
Then I was told by a friend that had Mew that wasn't real. Instead, he let me borrow his...shoot, what were those cheating things called for Game Boys? Was it a Game Genie? Anyway, he caught Mew for me that way.
Of course, all that did was make me think that there had to be a real way to get him in the game, seeing as he had a codex entry and animation and everything. Wasn't until years later that I found out the only way to get him without cheating was to go to that stupid event.

I would like to add the rumors of any possible way to bring Aeris back or recruit Sephiroth. Heck, I even did one that said you could get Zack in your party.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i have only ever heard of the mew one and the cow level one before now i believed the mew one for a little while but never tried it out and the cow one i only ever played diablo 2 where it was actually there

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Back when Tomb Raider first launched (early 90s), I believed the rumour that you could unlock (through an insane combination) Nude Lara. The guide was only printed in the April edition of the games' magazine.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I recall as a kid in elementary school (note: this was the late 80s/early 90s), I was sort of a resident Nintendo expert and at times I'd cruelly make up blatant lies about NES games just to fuck with other kids. I don't recall most of them as I sort of winged them, off the cuff at the time but people believed them anyway because I also did know a shitload of real facts about the games so they couldn't necessarily dispute everything I said because it might actually be true.
I remember clearly starting a hoax that there was a full minus world in Super Mario Bros. 3 that was an easter egg throwback to the -1 world glitch from the original Super Mario Bros. I told a few people that you had to play through every world in SMB3 and get all the warp whistles but don't use them, finish every level on every world and before taking on Bowser have a P-Wing in your overworld inventory, use it and then the 3 whistles as fast as possible and you'll be transported to the minus world.
I actually got a few of them to lie to me and said they did it later... as if anyone ever beat the 7th world 100% legit pfft. :) :)

Captcha: Role model
No Captcha, lying to kids and starting gaming secret hoaxes is not what a role model does.

EDIT: The reason for people coming to me as a Nintendo "God" of sorts was because I had a very rare Nintendo jacket that came from a CES convention (before E3, gaming companies went there to show off their stuff). It was a limited run Nintendo Power jacket that was made out of the consummate 80's satin look, black with the Nintendo logo and Mario's face in green.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
I did the Mew one. I found that truck. I got to that island. I tried pushing it from all sides. I was so disappointed when it didn't work. I was afraid I had done something wrong. I tried and tried so hard to move that stupid truck.
Then I was told by a friend that had Mew that wasn't real. Instead, he let me borrow his...shoot, what were those cheating things called for Game Boys? Was it a Game Genie? Anyway, he caught Mew for me that way.
Of course, all that did was make me think that there had to be a real way to get him in the game, seeing as he had a codex entry and animation and everything. Wasn't until years later that I found out the only way to get him without cheating was to go to that stupid event.
Apparently there IS a way to get Mew without going to an event or hooking up a cheating device. It involves not beating one of the trainers early on, and using fly when he locks on you for an encounter. This locks your encounter data so the next time you hit a wild encounter, it will be Mew. I guess trainer data is interpreted differently from wild encounters, but they use the same numbers, and his lineup just happens to read as Mew when you toss it in the blender. I only learned about this a few years ago, when I decided to Google if there was a way to get Mew. I'd legitimately gotten one from an event, but a "friend" deleted that save way back when, and I thought it'd be a larf to get it back.

OT: Kids are dicks.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Instead, he let me borrow his...shoot, what were those cheating things called for Game Boys? Was it a Game Genie?
You're thinking of the Game Shark, i had one as well to do a bunch of neat cheats for both Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advanced games.

I was never had a myth that was ridiculously specific and impossible to do, but I did believe in one that my friend just wouldn't tell me about (This was before i knew about using Google for anything more than game walkthroughs).

In Kirby Airride you can unlock Meta Knight who doesn't use a vehicle but uses his wings to move like one. In city mode if your vehicle is destroyed your Kirby flies off and can walk around to find a new vehicle to use. Since Meta Knight doesn't use a vehicle, when he takes too much damage he gets knocked down and then pathetically scoots around until you quit out.
My friend (who now that i think about it, probably didn't even own the game or possibly even a GameCube) told me he knew a way to revive Meta Knight when he gets downed. Almost everyday I pestered him to tell me how, to which he'd just respond "No."

Other than that, a few times way back in the first GameCube Animal Crossing I told my brother blatant lies saying that he shouldn't donate anything to the museum or else we can't get the "Special thing" once the museum is finished (I just wanted my name on all the donations). I also stole the Sunfish he caught once when he was sleeping because I couldn't catch one and he wanted it in his room. When he saw it was missing, I told him it was a glitch. (I'm pretty sure I put a new one back in his room when I managed to catch my own so I didn't feel so bad about it).
In fact whenever I messed up anything relating anything to him in a game, I blamed it on a "glitch". Luckily back then he was either too young to see through my bad lies or too young to care.

Sep 9, 2007
ccggenius12 said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Apparently there IS a way to get Mew without going to an event or hooking up a cheating device. It involves not beating one of the trainers early on, and using fly when he locks on you for an encounter. This locks your encounter data so the next time you hit a wild encounter, it will be Mew. I guess trainer data is interpreted differently from wild encounters, but they use the same numbers, and his lineup just happens to read as Mew when you toss it in the blender. I only learned about this a few years ago, when I decided to Google if there was a way to get Mew. I'd legitimately gotten one from an event, but a "friend" deleted that save way back when, and I thought it'd be a larf to get it back.

OT: Kids are dicks.
Ah, the Mew glitch [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch] (also called the Trainer Fly Glitch). Basically, the glitch makes use of how the gen 1 games alias memory. Because you fly away from the trainer initially, the game will believe there is still a battle to be completed in that area, but the memory address for what you will encounter is shared by the special stat of the last Pokemon you fought. So if you fight a pokemon with a special stat of 21 and then return to the area you flew away from earlier, you will fight a wild Mew. An interesting side note is while you are fighting the pokemon to set up the Mew encounter, if you use growl to lower the in-battle attack stat of the pokemon you are fighting to its lowest level, the pokemon you face will be at level 1, which allows you to use another glitch to underflow the experience counter [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Experience#Experience_underflow_glitch].

It gets used in speedruns as a way of brute forcing the battles you cannot avoid. An example of the glich in action (to catch a Ivysaur) is here [https://youtu.be/7jKrE3oN_AI?t=14m23s]

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
How in God's name did the "Triforce" rumours from Ocarina of Time not get in here? They were so great... the Light Temple, the Overture of Sages, and all that. Good times.

Blurry screenshots were all the proof we needed back in the day.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Oh yeah, how I remember the Sheng Long one. Numerous childhood arguments have erupted over that, as well as numerous play through of the game. And of course, the damnable Cow Level. I soooo wanted that secret level....so much right clicking....

While I'm not into Pokemon, I remember my sister vainly trying to get that Mew. She kept trying and trying, and refused to heed my caution that it may not be real. I think a part of her died in that pursuit of Mew.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
You absolutely can get Mew ingame without any event stuff, though- that's actually how Mew was "announced" in the first place.
They weren't really intending on doing anything with it, they just happened to have just about enough space for another pokemon on the cartridge, so they said "Eh, why not, we might do an event later and announce it then".

The real Mew glitch came before Mew was announced to the world.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon/0/0

"We put Mew in right at the very end. The cartridge was really full and there wasn't room for much more on there. Then the debug features which weren't going to be included in the final version of the game were removed, creating a miniscule 300 bytes of free space. So we thought that we could slot Mew in there. What we did would be unthinkable nowadays!

...Unless we could think about any good opportunity to do so, the existence of Mew wouldn't have been revealed to the public. It was left in there so it would be ready in case it suited to some post-launch activity to make use of it. But if there wasn't anyone among ourselves who wanted to use it, I thought it would be fine to just leave it as it was.

...But then due to an unforeseen bug, Mew ended up appearing in some players' games. It looked like we planned all of this, but that wasn't the case. So although it caused all sorts of problems to many concerned, fortunately enough it ended up having a positive effect."

The truck thing, though? Nonsense.