What Should I Use This 3D Printer For?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty much what I'd use a 3d printer for (though transformers in my case).

Was tempted to order some of the custom mod stuff they sell on shapeways, but when a head about the size of my thumbnail ends up about £8-15, not something I'm in a position to indulge.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
I guess it helps to know your way around Blender to make good use of those things, like make toys, instead of toy replacement parts.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
What really sucks about making your own models to 3D print is that it's really not easy to do, and can be a massive pain in the ass if you fuck up the mesh.

I'm looking at you Rhino.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I could use it to replace all the LEGO parts my brother lost. Especially those little arms on the skeletons.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
I could use it to replace all the LEGO parts my brother lost. Especially those little arms on the skeletons.
Damn I never thought about Lego on a 3D Printer. No, I must stay strong.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Too bad all the big companies feverishly patrol the sites, throwing down the hammer on anything that even remotely infringes on their copyright.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I need to get one. I'd do similar. Replace missing accessories, print broken parts, etc. Depending on the prowess of the printer, make stands/displays/dioramas to keep my collection safely standing.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
Shinkicker444 said:
Darth_Payn said:
Damn I never thought about Lego on a 3D Printer. No, I must stay strong.
Good luck with that. Properly usable lego bricks have really tight tolerances. A large number of 3d printers are an order of magnitude less precise than you'd need to make decent Lego with them.

And then of course you'd probably never get the colours right...