Super Blood Moon Eclipse Coming Tonight

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Super Blood Moon Eclipse Coming Tonight

Look for a clear dark spot to camp out this evening as you'll witness an event that won't happen again until 2033.

Tonight, there will be a lunar eclipse of a full moon. But what makes this one special is that the moon will be 14 percent larger than normal and be a Blood Moon.

"Because the orbit of the moon is not a perfect circle, the moon is sometimes closer to the Earth than at other times during its orbit," said Noah Petro, deputy project scientist for the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. "When the moon is farthest away it's known as apogee, and when it's closest it's known as perigee. On Sept. 27, we're going to have a perigee full moon - the closest full moon of the year."

The last time we had a Supermoon eclipse was in 1982. We get supermoons every year, but an eclipse at the same time makes the event much rarer. The Blood Moon effect happens because the Earth's atmosphere scatters more blue light, so that the light reaching the lunar surface is predominantly red, depending on atmospheric conditions.

The eclipse, which will begin around 8:10 p.m. EST this evening and should last for about an hour and a half. If you can't get outside, NASA will be streaming the event [http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/features/watchtheskies/live-feed-of-sundays-supermoon-eclipse.html] on NASA TV.

And just so we are clear, this Super Blood Moon eclipse does not signal the end of days and a Mormon church said so [http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/27/blood-moon-apocalypse-nasa-lunar-eclipse-supermoon].

Source: NASA [http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-scientist-sheds-light-on-rare-sept-27-supermoon-eclipse]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Huh. First I find this weird red necklace, and now I get to see a solar eclipse. I must have the devils own luck.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Time for MEGA WEREWOLVES.

OT-I'm not seeing it right now... It look like a normal moon to me at the moment.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm doing a program at my local observatory tonight.
Hopefully, it will as fun as the Venus Transit a few years ago.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Pretty sure someone at FromSoftware is beating their head on their desk, wishing they had planned the DLC release a bit better. :)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I guess I gotta go fight David and break my finger on that QTE again. Oh well, whatever helps pay for moon jewelry.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Awesome, it's cloudy as fuck in my area, glad to know that the weather decided I won't get to see such a phenomenal event.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Wait, that's a good point, if I'm downunder in the land of thunder, are we even going to see the super blood moon eclipse?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
So, what time is that for the UK?
Approx midnight, mate. It's starting its penumbral phase as of eleven minutes past midnight GMT. The full eclipse begins at 2:47am GMT, I think. Could be 2:57. That's when it'll be at its reddest, saving you the effort of sitting watching varying degrees of shadow cross its surface.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Thyunda said:
Loop Stricken said:
Approx midnight, mate. It's starting its penumbral phase as of eleven minutes past midnight GMT. The full eclipse begins at 2:47am GMT, I think. Could be 2:57. That's when it'll be at its reddest, saving you the effort of sitting watching varying degrees of shadow cross its surface.
*Looks out of window*

Still bright as feck.

njrk97

May 30, 2011
So i looked around at time zones and stuff. I assume Australia is going to miss this? Or did i do something completely wrong with time zone conversions.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Thyunda said:
Loop Stricken said:
*Looks out of window*

Still bright as feck.
Have a look now. Like a bite's been taken out of it.