Cyberpunk 2077 to be "Far, Far Bigger" Than The Witcher 3

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Cyberpunk 2077 to be "Far, Far Bigger" Than The Witcher 3

CD Projekt Red's Jose Teixeira talks Cyberpunk 2077.

CD Projekt Red visual effects artist Jose Teixeira spoke with MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/cd-projekt-red-cyberpunk-2077-is-far-far-bigger-than-the-witcher-3/0156903] about the studio's upcoming title Cyberpunk 2077, stating that the title is "far bigger than anything else that CD Projekt Red has done before. Far, far bigger."

"We're really stepping into the unknown in terms of complexity and size and problems we encounter," Teixeira said. "If anything, working on The Witcher 3 was a really good and often brutal learning experience. Cyberpunk is going to benefit greatly from it. I can almost guarantee it."

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt is a sprawling open world RPG, with the script consisting of nearly the size [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140970-The-Witcher-3s-Script-Over-450-000-Words] of The Witcher 2.

Studio co-founder Marcin Iwinski later stated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131612-CD-Projekt-Cyberpunk-Will-Be-A-True-RPG] that The Witcher franchise "needs some rest," saying "The past 10 years the team has been working on swords and castles and medieval Slavic monsters, so I think it's time for some guns, androids, and some ammo. And a necropolis. So this is what we'll be working on."

Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117529-CD-Projekt-Red-Reveals-Cyberpunk]. The game does not yet have a firm release date.

[Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/cd-projekt-red-cyberpunk-2077-is-far-far-bigger-than-the-witcher-3/0156903]]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The big question for me is whether it will have a predefined character like Geralt or if we get to create our own instead.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
A KissLike Smile said:
The big question for me is whether it will have a predefined character like Geralt or if we get to create our own instead.
The most I could find on it was that we're quite likely to get to choose between a male and female predefined character, but have much more options for customisation for that character.

And I look around a fair bit. They're being very quiet about this.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Freya be praised! I can't wait for an actual gameplay trailer of this. Bigger than The Witcher 3. That sounds absolutely mental.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This pleases me greatly. These developers know what they want and now they have a fair bit of money alongside their skillset/experience to achieve their vision. It is most certainly overdue for a good cyberbunk epic, truth be told i'm already sold.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
and a necropolis
This has me more excited for this game than I probably should be. It would be amazing to see this take off because I love me some cyberpunk.

There's just something about the dystopian future that Cyberpunk paints that I adore as a setting, I guess that's why I utterly adore the Shadowrun setting. Either way, with CDProjekt Red you generally get a solid, ambitious game so finger's crossed for what this turns out to be. And here's hoping that the work environment that I have heard bad things about doesn't hurt the game's quality.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The only thing I remember from that teaser trailer was that the woman had a strange lack of pants. Then again, CD Project has never been good with women, so I guess it's par for the course.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yay?

I know a lot of people are fixated on bigger being better, but there is such a thing as outstaying one's welcome and I for one actually like being able to finish games within six calendar months of starting them.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Ahh, more good news about this game. Slow burn but it's going to be worth the wait!

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
The problem with getting bigger is that there are more empty spaces or a repeat of content over and over. I hope for bigger in terms of variety of content rather than just terms of size.

That doesn't mean I'm not got some excitement for this.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Are console releases still being discussed with this game, or are they just sticking to PC this time around?

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing more from this game. Cause everything I've heard so far is awesome.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Most YouTube teasers for games the past years left me bored or glaced over, but this!!!!
Yeah, that really piqued my interest allright!

"Personal Responsibility", song? Indeed, WHO goes to jail when a machine you bought kills people by accident?
Like that Google Car... it's gonna be in a crash one day ;)

Jan 12, 2012
Elfgore said:
Are console releases still being discussed with this game, or are they just sticking to PC this time around?
Last I heard, it's planned for PS4, Xbone, and PC.

Aiddon said:
The only thing I remember from that teaser trailer was that the woman had a strange lack of pants. Then again, CD Project has never been good with women, so I guess it's par for the course.
That's also a holdover from the PnP RPGs; Talsorian was never shy about cramming the books full of line drawings of ladies with huge 80's hair and skimpy futuristic outfits.

It's actually part of what I'm most curious about with 2077. The good editions of Cyberpunk (2013 and 2020) clung tightly to being true cyberpunk, rather than post-cyberpunk or whatever you'd classify Shadowrun as (cyberpunkish?). But from the brief shots it looks like they've done away with a lot of that aesthetic, as well as things like needing to hook up your briefcase-sized deck to a landline in order to hack. I'm wondering how much of the license is actually going to be used, and how much is just going to be painting familiar names onto unconnected corps and locations.

EDIT: Found this video with Mike Pondsmith, where he talks about how 2077 is an evolution of what came before, building on past events and also changes in the genre. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like 2077 either way, but it does seem like it's going to be very different to 2020.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I was looking forward to this for a millisecond there. I would love me some Cyberpunk!
I just need to know a few things..

1. Will it use Over-the-shoulder camera?
2.(Feels like) Analog-stick controlled character?
2. Any type of quicktime events? I count Arkham's combat as such.

At least I don't have to ask about DRM. ,)
As soon as I know the answer to those questions I know if I should be slightly excited.