8 Ridiculously Awesome Classic Arcade Cabinets

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Ridiculously Awesome Classic Arcade Cabinets

If you ever pumped quarters into a video game, you probably played on one of these awesome classic arcade cabinets.

Read Full Article

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Slightly disappointed the pneumatically moving Space Harrier cabinet isn't featured here.
I remember it clearly, my local swimming pool had one of those for some reason. That thing was awesome.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
POD.RACER

No, seriously, FREAKING AMAZING.

Was a HUGE Pod Racer, one was Skywalker the other was the bad guy (Sebulba?)

It MOVED left and right and up and down.

MASSIVE bend around screen.

EPIC sound system.

CONTROLS worked like they were in the film.

ONE DOLLAR a race.

:GAR:

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
JenSeven said:
Slightly disappointed the pneumatically moving Space Harrier cabinet isn't featured here.
I remember it clearly, my local swimming pool had one of those for some reason. That thing was awesome.
That's the one I wanted to see as well, although it's obviously the same family as After Burner so maybe they only needed one (and the After Burner was a full cover over the top one - our Thomas's Showboat arcade had both).

Other contenders; Operation Wolf (dat Uzi), Operation Thunderbolt (dem Uzis), Beast Busters (shite game, but three Uzis), the full bike version of Super Hang-On, the cockpit Super Monaco GP, eight-way Virtua Racing, Galaxy Force II with the velvet rope...

and this terrifying mofo. G-LOC R360 edition. Never saw one in the flesh, but damn.

moosemaimer

Apr 14, 2011
My local arcade still has a Galaxian machine:

They used to have a Ridge Racer Full Scale:

T-Mek was great if only for the fact the audio was deafening, especially when someone exploded.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Kinitawowi said:
JenSeven said:
That's the one I wanted to see as well, although it's obviously the same family as After Burner so maybe they only needed one (and the After Burner was a full cover over the top one - our Thomas's Showboat arcade had both).

Other contenders; Operation Wolf (dat Uzi), Operation Thunderbolt (dem Uzis), Beast Busters (shite game, but three Uzis), the full bike version of Super Hang-On, the cockpit Super Monaco GP, eight-way Virtua Racing, Galaxy Force II with the velvet rope...

and this terrifying mofo. G-LOC R360 edition. Never saw one in the flesh, but damn.
Oh wow. Yeah. I think I saw one of those once, though I can't say I ever saw it in action.
Looks terrifying.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Not an impressive arcade cabinet, but I have some fond memories of this:

Sega's on-rails shooter were generally pretty awesome, from the House of the Dead series to this, wich is pretty much like HotD, but with Jurasic Park's dinosaurs thrown in (and much less gory, despite some nasty death scenes).

The cabinet resembled a 4x4 Jeep and in most missions you stuck to the vehicle, rarely leaving it, it had an awesome sound system and when the T-Rex came in roaring, you just jizzed yourself a little bit with how awesome it sounded and looked (for it's time).

The movie is infamous for how bad it was (or at least boring and nonsensical), but this cabinet certainly surpassed that attrocity by a wide margin, even if it lasted for less than 40 minutes if you managed to beat it (or had a lot of credits).