8 Gaming Franchises that Should Make a Comeback

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Gaming Franchises that Should Make a Comeback

We'd love to see these eight franchises make a glorious return.

Read Full Article

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
X-Wing. Yes please. I played that game for hours when I was little. I would love to be able to take to the stars again and fight the Empire. It still baffles me that no one has ever bothered to release a game like this in all these years. Yes, Rogue Squadron was good, make no mistake, but I want my grand space battles back.

That final mission on X-Wing is just pure Star Wars perfection.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Worth noting that Timesplitters Rewind is a thing that's being worked on by fans of the series.

But yes, Jedi Knight please. Or better yet add that type of combat into a KOTOR remake.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dino Crisis is on there, but not Turok? For shame! FOR SHAME!

There are a few I would have said, had I been asked a few months ago, but they're finally getting new releases. Battletech and Homeworld, chief among them.

However, I'm shocked....SHOCKED...to see Zork left off this list!

Dalboz would be disappointed.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Legacy of Kain

I know, I always have to bring this one up.
And this is why I like you. Can I get a brofist?

Also, bonus points for Gex.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
No one loved SSX Tricky more than I, however I certainly wouldn't call 3 a step back. 3 was great! The trash that was SSX 4 was a step back (and a step off a cliff) though.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Never played SSX, but I've played the Amped series, and would love for that to make a comeback!

Also disappointed that the picture of the rancor did not turn out to be Knights of the Old Republic. Boy would I kill for Obsidian to be given the greenlight to make a true 3rd installment.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
The Enquirer said:
But yes, Jedi Knight please. Or better yet add that type of combat into a KOTOR remake.
It's about time Jedi Knight made into one of these lists ESPECIALLY one about gaming franchise comebacks. Katarn is a great character and the gameplay got better from Dark Forces onward...which made up for the fact that the story isn't very good in Mysteries of the Sith and falls apart in Academy. Having only bought and beaten The Force Unleashed recently I saw lost potential there.........by which I mean what I really wanted was further expanded gameplay of Jedi Knight. The combo system, repetitive QTEs and scripted button prompts, and easiness don't measure up to Jedi Knight at all. Then again, if Jedi Knight were to return I could see it being bettered by taking a few pages from TFU's book.

I was never really a fan of KOTOR's round based combat system. So, I definitely wouldn't mind putting in a dose of real time combat in there, and if it's Jedi Knight based all the better, and keeping everything else about the gameplay more or less the same with updates to account for how some of those mechanics have aged.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
I remember Gex ... that odd series where the charming, charismatic lizard fellow would jump into TV after TV trying to accomplish 'things' while a real life actual model (a hot woman) would talk to him from time to time, due to reasons? Most of the game was a spoof, based off real franchises that the game itself poked fun at I believe.

They made one or two games on the series as far as my memories serves ... it would be nice to see it make a ravishing comeback.
They made three. One was a 2D Platformer, Two and Three were 3D and you're refering to third one (probably also the best one in the series)

And yes, seeing Gex back sounds like a good idea. As stated, he's basically pop culture and reference to them, but walking. And while the TV Thing might be a bit dated and could possibly replaced or expanded with Computer and Internet (or have both, start with TV and then have Gex deal with the newer media he hasn't been used to yet?)

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Thrilled to see Timesplitters on the list! Legacy of Kain, too, but then I also had the thought that more could be told to that story.

Though, I will say two particular franchises could use a comeback - Breath of Fire, and not be another shitty mobile release for this IP; the other is Flatout, I loved this game and Flatout 2 to DEATH...then it went downhill faster than Wile E. Coyote off a cliff.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Though I did like the first Force Unleashed game, Jedi Outcast II will always be my favourite Star Wars game. Academy was fun, but it felt more like an expansion pack, rather than a sequel.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Some good choices on that list.

I'd kind of like to see another Max Payne. I know it's not been that long but the last one with it's change of setting didn't feel quite right, still fun though. I think one more trip for Max through New York.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
The one I'd really like to see is Dead Space - I liked 3, although 1 is still the best in terms of genuinely scary survival horror for me. Even if they only brought it back for phones/tablets/etc.; DS mobile was damn scary, especially with headphones on.

Also, TFU3, 'cause I wanna see what happens next.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'd still like to see a new Bloodrayne, and no the 2D platformer doesn't count. The second one had decent graphics for its time and some of the better ragdoll physics for separating your enemies from their limbs in a variety of ways. And it ended on a cliffhanger, humans driven underground and the monsters ruling the cities. Terrible way to end a franchise.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Remus said:
I'd still like to see a new Bloodrayne, and no the 2D platformer doesn't count. The second one had decent graphics for its time and some of the better ragdoll physics for separating your enemies from their limbs in a variety of ways. And it ended on a cliffhanger, humans driven underground and the monsters ruling the cities. Terrible way to end a franchise.
Well ... it kind of wrapped up the story, Bloodrayne being, y'know
the queen and all.

Also, can't bring up Legacy of Kain enough, even though it desperately needs a Remaster, not new games.

Here is one that needs a sequel:
XIII