Goosebumps: The Game Gets a Release Date

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Goosebumps: The Game Gets a Release Date

Get ready to feel goosebumps...

Goosebumps: The Game, the point-and-click adventure from WayForward, will release on October 13 - three days before the Goosebumps movie is slated to release. WayForward director Tom Hulett discussed the creation of the game on the PS Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/07/goosebumps-the-game-coming-to-ps4-ps3-october-13th/] today.

"The whole point of a scary game is to control the atmosphere and the player's mood so you can effectively stage scare moments. Too many developers build an entire action game and then expect to drape "scary stuff" over the top of it during the polish phase, resulting in a bland atmosphere, failed scares, and an overall rushed feeling. I was glad to finally sidestep the debate entirely by building a horror game in this room-by-room structure. Everything was planned and called out up front; we knew exactly what we needed to build. It was refreshing to watch our "scare" elements come together smoothly."

"I'm not satisfied if the game is merely Goosebumps-flavored, or brand-adjacent," Hulett stated. "I couldn't sleep if the game felt like anything less than an authentic Goosebumps product with all the hallmarks that entails. It also helped that we were able to visit Sony Pictures to screen the film early on to provide inspiration and insight into the direction of the movie to help set up the prequel story."

The post is long, interesting, and provides a significant amount of detail regarding the planning and development of the game.

Goosebumps: The Game is coming to PC, Nintendo 3DS, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Until then, enjoy some screenshots [https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/goosebumps-the-game-ps4/?smcid=pssocial:blog:game:goosbumps_the_game_announce:10_7_15]!

[gallery=4832]

[Source: PlayStation Blog [https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/goosebumps-the-game-ps4/?smcid=pssocial:blog:game:goosbumps_the_game_announce:10_7_15].]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I can say this is looking pretty cool from what I see here though. I have big time nostalgia for those books, they got me through Elementary school and made me afraid of plants.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was interested until I saw the name "Tom Hulett".

Whatever interest I had in the game is now gone. Maybe he learned from his past mistakes and can actually make a good game, but I'm not holding my breath.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Whatever interest I had in the game is now gone. Maybe he learned from his past mistakes and can actually make a good game, but I'm not holding my breath.
Well wait just a second there. Shattered Memories was...pretty good.

And Downpour was...mediocre, but still had its moments...

And uh...
Um...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

And uh...
Um...
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Shattered Memories a "pretty good game", but that's just me. :p

Don't forget, he also had a hand in Homecoming. So mediocrity, ho! :D

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

And uh...
Um...
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call Shattered Memories a "pretty good game", but that's just me. :p

I think that SM can be enjoyed, despite its flaws.
I even enjoyed Downpour once I just ran from all the monsters and tried my hardest to get involved in the side stories.

But yes, you're right, mediocrity is Tom's middle name.

Tom "Mediocrity" Hulett...doesn't come off the tongue as well as I thought it would.

EDIT: Even Homecoming was...uh...the boss designs were kinda cool...look, I can't really defend Homecoming, throw me a bone here.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

And uh...
Um...

I even enjoyed Downpour once I just ran from all the monsters and tried my hardest to get involved in the side stories.

Tom "Mediocrity" Hulett...doesn't come off the tongue as well as I thought it would.

EDIT: Even Homecoming was...uh...the boss designs were kinda cool...look, I can't really defend Homecoming, throw me a bone here.
It's okay, I'm a bitter ole Silent Hill fan. :p

But yeah, Homecoming was... yeah... I can't even give a backhanded comment about that game. It was just shit.

Maybe Goosebumps can survive the Hulett, but it's based off the movie too I guess. So, who knows.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
If the game isn't campy and funny-scary like the TV show, I'll be very, very mad.

Sabre's coming.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I didn't know about this....sadly I expected Escape from Horrorland when I clicked the link.

For some reason I thought that was getting re-relaesed.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
>WayForward
So it's either amazing or a complete pile of crap. Make your bets, ladies and gentlemen.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

And uh...
Um...

But yeah, Homecoming was... yeah... I can't even give a backhanded comment about that game. It was just shit.

Maybe Goosebumps can survive the Hulett, but it's based off the movie too I guess. So, who knows.
Oh oh! I found something relating to Hulett and Homecoming that's kinda good...sort of.

During the development of Silent Hill: Homecoming, a rejected script of the game involved a "Super Saiyan"-like Alessa battling Joshua Shepherd over Toluca Lake; Alessa representing fire, Joshua representing water. Tomm Hulett dissuaded it from happening.

So um...that's a thing.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
zombiejoe said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

And uh...
Um...

Oh oh! I found something relating to Hulett and Homecoming that's kinda good...sort of.

During the development of Silent Hill: Homecoming, a rejected script of the game involved a "Super Saiyan"-like Alessa battling Joshua Shepherd over Toluca Lake; Alessa representing fire, Joshua representing water. Tomm Hulett dissuaded it from happening.

So um...that's a thing.
That's... hmm....

I don't know whether that's either a good thing or a bad thing considering how Homecoming ended.

I mean, Pyramid Head made an appearance, so why not Alessa?

Go big or go home, I suppose. :/

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Bah, I'd prefer an Are You Afraid of the Dark game. Best kids' version of suspense and horror IMO. I'm definitely a member of the Midnight Society.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
I think I'll get this, I love point and click games, and the genre just feels right for this franchise. Goosebumps is just soo 90s, as are point and click games. On top of that, the artwork in this game looks pretty close to the original cover art, not exactly like it (damn it would be amazing had this been painted by the same guy) but close enough, it's instantly recognizable as Goosebumps.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The graphics remind me of 90's games like Eric the Unready, Gateway(1+2), Spellcasting 101/102/103, callahan's crosstime saloon, etc.

Not saying that's a bad thing but it's an....interesting choice when most adventure games lately that try to emulate the 90's are going more for the isometric Monkey Island 2-era look, or maybe that's my thinking after playing a bunch of the wadeyejet games lately.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
You know, one thing that always sort of irked me about Goosebumps is that it continued to be developed while it's ancestor the generally far superior "Fear Street" novels and it's shared universe were let slide. "Fear Street" being similar but aimed at an older audience than Goosebumps, and if I remember they were fairly controversial for a while, however with the recent expansion of young adult literature and nostalgia products I am continually disappointed at the lack of a Fear Street revival.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Therumancer said:
You know, one thing that always sort of irked me about Goosebumps is that it continued to be developed while it's ancestor the generally far superior "Fear Street" novels and it's shared universe were let slide. "Fear Street" being similar but aimed at an older audience than Goosebumps, and if I remember they were fairly controversial for a while, however with the recent expansion of young adult literature and nostalgia products I am continually disappointed at the lack of a Fear Street revival.
I agree, but it makes since if you read his first try at a Fear Street revival in the late 90s, after Goosebumps #50 I think it was. It was pretty much just Goosebumps, but with the occasional drop of blood or something. I recall him saying at a convention in early 2000 that the problem was, he had become a big enough name that kids were tracking down anything written by him, including the original Fear Street. His publisher wasn't going to deal with another controversy in the middle of a trend money wave, so told him any revival had to be toned back.

At this point, I wouldn't mind a rerelease of the original Fear Street and maybe The Beast. Many of the books are out of print now.

Edit: And upon looking it up, I was wrong about some of that. He was apparently writing Fear Street titles up till 2005 of, if reviews are to be trusted, someone diminishing quality. He started again in 2014 and seems to be having publishing issues.