The Dota 2 Method

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't know, League of Legends can give them a run for their money. That moment you get your mid laner screaming for everyone to report you for not using your ultimate to save them. When you are not a high enough level to have your ultimate yet.

In Dota2 I just see people shouting "cyka" a lot. But maybe that's because I am too low with MMR to be playing with people who think they'd be pro players, if only they'd get noticed.

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
Never played Dota 2, but I played a good amount of League of Legends, and I would believe that the habit of blaming someone else for your own stupidity isn't exclusive to one or the other. Only difference being, from my personal experience, the jungler is almost always the first one to be blamed, rightfully or not.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shadowxvii said:
Never played Dota 2, but I played a good amount of League of Legends, and I would believe that the habit of blaming someone else for your own stupidity isn't exclusive to one or the other. Only difference being, from my personal experience, the jungler is almost always the first one to be blamed, rightfully or not.
Basically the only difference between people blaming you for their mistakes in LoL vs DotA 2 is that in DotA 2 the blaming is done in Russian. :3

Best DotA strat ever:

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I've never understood this report thing for just the supposed "bad players" instead of real abusers.

It seems like it's encouraging everyone to select one scapegoat for the failure of the game.

I'm sorry to say this is starting to cross over into heroes of the storm.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
At least if you play League you can just stop playing and watch a competitive scene that isn't trash.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
wizzy555 said:
I've never understood this report thing for just the supposed "bad players" instead of real abusers.

It seems like it's encouraging everyone to select one scapegoat for the failure of the game.

As far as I can tell reporting "bad players" is based on the belief that they're being intentionally bad...aka "feeding".

Bindal

May 14, 2012
wizzy555 said:

Actually, that's part of any MOBA with a report function. It's less "crossing over" and more "becomine a proper MOBA", with people reporting you for their failures and everything.

Which is exactly the reason I don't play MOBAs. At all. In any way. They all have the same kind of toxic community.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
wizzy555 said:

Thats just how MOBAs are.

And yet their popularity is baffiling to me.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
> Playing a League of Legends "Ranked Match"

> Rival team's 2nd player chooses Karthus [http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Karthus] for Mid

> I'm the last to pick, only available role left is Support

> Picks Soraka [http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Soraka] with a cheeky smile on my face

> Imagines the Karthus player internally screaming and ready to ffs at 20

Real story by the way.
As someone who main's Karthus Mid I'd like to hear how this game turned out. :3

Soraka has a global heal while Karthus has the global nuke...that doesn't necessarily mean that Soraka is an absolute counter to Karthus, however. An annoyance, to be sure, but - and I could be wrong about this as I don't have Soraka, myself - doesn't Karthus' R do more damage than Soraka's R heals for? Especially since he'll be going straight AP while Soraka has to build support items? :p

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Most people in Dota have a tendency to report by the hero rather than the lane, since most heroes can run in more than one lane unlike in League, and fewer teams have a jungler/some teams can trilane.

/elitist

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Did Karthus pick into Akali? If so that is where the player failed, right there. You need some hard CC to be able to get away from her and the Wall-o-Ghosts for a slow just ain't gonna cut it when she can just jump-kick you in the back of the head. :p

I should clarify: I used to main Karthus...these days I pretty much play exclusively ARAM. I like it because it's still competitive and fun, but seeing as how the RNG pretty much determines which team is going to win during champ "select" 90% of the time it's hard for anyone to get too upset over it.

.......that said, Karthus is an absolute beast in ARAM. :3

So is Soraka for that matter, though. When given the freedom to go straight AP she's a monster! Though I still prefer AP Sona over her...Sona's blue power cord with a Lichbane hits like a freight-train. o.o

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
RJ 17 said:
Caramel Frappe said:
> Playing a League of Legends "Ranked Match"

> Rival team's 2nd player chooses Karthus [http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Karthus] for Mid

> I'm the last to pick, only available role left is Support

> Picks Soraka [http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Soraka] with a cheeky smile on my face

> Imagines the Karthus player internally screaming and ready to ffs at 20

Real story by the way.
As someone who main's Karthus Mid I'd like to hear how this game turned out. :3

Soraka has a global heal while Karthus has the global nuke...that doesn't necessarily mean that Soraka is an absolute counter to Karthus, however. An annoyance, to be sure, but - and I could be wrong about this as I don't have Soraka, myself - doesn't Karthus' R do more damage than Soraka's R heals for? Especially since he'll be going straight AP while Soraka has to build support items? :p
Normally, a Soraka's R doesn't outscale the damage Karthu's ult does. Even if he's not fed, a normal Karthus ult will do 550 dmg at lvl 3 plus 60% of his AP scaling so probably a bit more than that. However, Soraka's R also scales with her AP and a very skilled Soraka will immediately use R the moment she notices Karthus is activating his ult. Then if the people are nearby, she'll spam Astral Infusion (aka heal) until the ult launches and said allies are still alive. At max level, it heals 240 plus 60% of Soraka's AP but get this- Astral Infusion has a 2-3 second CD so I can definitely heal someone far more than Karthu's single ult can damage them within the time it takes for Karthus to finally finish his ult.

Her stacked healing + ult cripples Karthus especially in team fights. Also she can use Equinox (aka AOE silence move) on Karthus to prevent him from using ult. It won't cancel his ult and put it on CD, but it'll prevent him from finishing it.

The match by the way, as you requested to be informed on ... was pretty much how you'd expect it to be. Karthus was 4 and 12, our Akali was well fed because she owned him even without me interfering and we won by a landslide. Wasn't because of me alone, but my ult DID save three people from his ult during our last teamfight before winning the game. He was a Silver IV while I was Silver I ... but to be fair, I was demoted to Silver II and been stuck there ever since >_>
And here I am still unranked at level 22 >.>

OT: Yeah, this happens a lot in league to. From my personal experience its always akalis who are really toxic. I dunno why.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
OT: I feel bad for mid laners in most games. They're not entirely the carry like ADCs, but are expected to stop their rival mid laner. Since the mid lane is so short and can be easily ganked from both sides ... mid laners have the most pressure. Not saying that everyone else has it easier, but I have played mid lane. It's rough if you're owning but suddenly the rival jungler camps you and secures kills for the struggling mid laner while your jungler just farms because 'screw you' that's why lol.
In DOTA2 you absolutely 100% can carry mid depending on your pick. A TA mid can snowball completely out of control. A stacked SF is fully capable of annihilating an entire team. Ember is pretty good too. Viper in an average pub can be good because people are really bad at handling him. You can also Meepo mid which is hilarious.

As far as the comic goes, though...people get into a really bad mindset about mid in DOTA2. Because it depends ENTIRELY on what mid you've got. Pubs traditionally whine if mid doesn't gank but if its, say, OD or SF mid you don't necessarily want them ganking in a pub if they're dominating mid. Its often better for them to just sit there and get nice and fat by destroying mid and instead get rotates from the supports. Possibly even gank mid with a roaming support.

In fairness I don't see quite as many complaints about mid anymore in DOTA2. Its usually complaints about the support not warding or the carry being totally unable to follow through after farming. Personally I play ranked with precisely one hero - Spectre. Since I know that I can 1v5 with her if necessary, as long as I can get some space to farm.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I assume the joke is funny / makes sense if you play DOTA2... or LoL for that matter.
Otherwise, yeah, totally lost on me.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
SilverUchiha said:
I assume the joke is funny / makes sense if you play DOTA2... or LoL for that matter.
Uh, how can you not understand this joke? Erin makes a mistake by running into a lamp post and then blames it on the lamp post, telling everyone to report the lamp post.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Bindal said:
SilverUchiha said:
Uh, how can you not understand this joke? Erin makes a mistake by running into a lamp post and then blames it on the lamp post, telling everyone to report the lamp post.
As evidenced by my earlier statement, I don't play any MOBA. Didn't get the reference or how it was being used in this situation. No context existed for me to understand the joke.