68: Football as Madden 07

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"Convergence can work in many directions and can be spurred by many different parties, but in the case of Madden, the NFL, ESPN and EA had constructed a holy grail, an irresistible package that would draw droves of football fans into the franchise. As [Henry] Jenkins states, 'convergence represents a cultural shift as consumers are encouraged to seek out new information and make connections among dispersed media content.' Madden provides the blueprint to that search."

Jon Schnaars examines the cultural impact of the venerable Madden game franchise.
Football as Madden 07

Oct 25, 2006
Madden, who meets with EA regularly to discuss the game, once complained that the video game wasn't enough like the real game because it was too easy to succeed on fourth down, so the game was tweaked. Years later at a meeting with the NFL he was astounded to hear a suit complaining that the real game wasn't enough like the video game, so the real game should be tweaked!

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
angry young man said:
Madden, who meets with EA regularly to discuss the game, once complained that the video game wasn't enough like the real game because it was too easy to succeed on fourth down, so the game was tweaked. Years later at a meeting with the NFL he was astounded to hear a suit complaining that the real game wasn't enough like the video game, so the real game should be tweaked!
This can't be true can it? I've heard many stories of people that are really really stupid working in high places but this just boggles my mind.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Just remember that the key to winning a football game is the ability to move the ball down the field.

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
Jon, I really enjoyed your article, It left me with a newfound respect for the effort of the industry in making their games which I assumed were being turned out with little to no thought except "put in a new roster, add more features". The overall business strategy is something that finally helps me understand the total success that the Madden line has had.

- Tom