8 Games with Awesome First Levels

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games with Awesome First Levels

It's always awesome when a game nails the very first level. These eight community favorites did just that.

Read Full Article

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Oh hey, I got mentioned in a thing. For some reason I think there may have also been a puzzle somewhere in the first level of ts2 as well.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
If we're going to be talking Elder Scrolls intros, I'd say Skyrim's was better than Oblivion's...what with the whole dragon attack and all. :p

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Really? Oblivion? I'd say Morrowind has the best intro to the game in the series by far. It's also fairly barebones so you don't have to wade through lengthy cinematics and set pieces every single time you start up a new character.

RJ 17 said:
If we're going to be talking Elder Scrolls intros, I'd say Skyrim's was better than Oblivion's...what with the whole dragon attack and all. :p
That was good, yes, but it was overly long which made it a pain every time you started up a new character.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Really? Oblivion? I'd say Morrowind has the best intro to the game in the series by far. It's also fairly barebones so you don't have to wade through lengthy cinematics and set pieces every single time you start up a new character.

RJ 17 said:
That was good, yes, but it was overly long which made it a pain every time you started up a new character.
Also Skyrim had spiders which made the intro a huge pain, you had to snipe them and move the bodies with arrows away from you.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The battle in the village in Resident Evil 4...possibly one of the greatest moments in gaming history, at least to me. The sheer sense of, "Oh crap, crap, CRAP!" that is constantly going through your mind as you try to find the next safe place to run to, or figure out if you have enough time to squeeze in that next shot before you lose your head...I haven't really found another game since that matches that.

Of course, it is immensely satisfying to go back there in New Game + with fully upgraded gear--or the Thompson--and just plow through enemies, but the first time you play that part. Great memories.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
The extended character creation that was Fallout 3's first level/scene still ranks in my mind as a pretty darn good setup for the game that follows. Capping the whole thing off with a "first-time-seeing-sunlight" fade into the devastation of the Capitol Wasteland was just sublime.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I know it wasn't the actual first level in the game, but the first Soviet level in the original Call of Duty was astounding for its day. Going from being highly-trained badass American/British paratroopers to a Russian corporal with five rounds and no rifle to shoot them from, ducking through the ruins of Stalingrad while trying not to get perforated by German MG emplacements or commissars executing Stalin's "not one step back" Order 227. The chaos, the feeling of being at the front line of a major battle with no means of defending yourself- it had quite the impact.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
No mention of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire on the N64?

Granted, I never played it myself, but that Hoth level is the entire reason the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron trilogy became a thing.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I agree with the fellow in the FB comments. The first (and the second, as well) Metroid Prime built up the atmosphere and style of the game very well in the first area. Many of the 2D titles did the same.

I can't really agree with the Oblivion entry. I think fighting rats and skeletons in dank caverns was old news even back in 2006. It wasn't terrible and introduced the mechanics well enough, but the caves didn't stand out as particularly interesting. The wilderness out side was eye popping, as was most of Skyrim's intro, though. Maybe, TES 6's intro can stay outside, away from cramped caves.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Yay! I was mentioned in a thing! Kinda surprised nobody took my Ally-oop by suggesting Liberty Island but hey, I'll take that as people admitting that Human Revolution really is great in its own right. These other suggestions were really good too! I really enjoyed the Oblivion opener for example.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Fuck yeah, Oblivion! I love the tutorial levels in Oblivion and Fallout 3 - Skyrim doesn't do the same for me mainly by being too damn long, but Oblivion's was pretty good. Damn. Now I want to replay Oblivion for 3129th time. Hmmm... PC or PS3...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'll say: Final Fantasy VI. You start riding the Magitek armors, and using freaking lasers and missiles in battle. Not to mention the badass music in the battle encounters and boss battles in the rest of the game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I am so freaking pissed off...So I just started playing Yoshi's Woolly World and the first reason I'm pissed is because this game is bombarding me with weapons-level adorable. The other reason is that YWW 1-1 is really well done. I spent about 15 minutes hunting for all of the collectibles (1-2 and 1-3 were made easier/quicker because I knew what to look for) and I died. I actually died in the first level of Yoshi's Woolly World. This game isn't what I would call hard or difficult but I can already tell it's going to be challenging even if I'm not hunting for all of the random collectibles. 1-1 of Yoshi's Woolly World has 30 collectibles by the way. I think they're all going to have 30 (not counting hearts which bumps it up to 50)...Oh well, maybe next time. If there's a Daily Gallery for "Cutest Games" or "Games with Great Aesthetic" than I know how I'm voting next time.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
If by "goofing off" you mean farming enough points in the first level of Human Revolution to grab the pheremone package and beating the gang leader with a conversation, perhaps. I just tell him to fuck off and then taser him before he shoots the hostage. Because you can do that.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Wow, the Escapist is desperate for content to be re-posting forum threads as 'featured content'.

At least they gave credit...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
As long as we're talking STAR WARS games, how about the first Knights of the Old Republic? Just waking up and fighting your way through a Republic cruiser invaded by the Sith, to make it to the escape pods with your first teammate? Who played that and DOESN'T remember that?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
American Tanker said:
No mention of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire on the N64?

Granted, I never played it myself, but that Hoth level is the entire reason the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron trilogy became a thing.
That's just one of the many games I would've put instead. I can't even remember Oblivion's beginning.

Actually, I'm more surprised someone on this site remembers SotE. I absolutely loved it when I first got my N64, and I replayed the Hoth level many times. Definitely a hidden gem.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
You absolutely must see the opening battle in Lost Odyssey. It's nuts.
Game grinds to a screeching halt for about an hour after that, but the opening is magnificent.