Steam Hardware Having Trouble with Mac Systems

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Steam Hardware Having Trouble with Mac Systems

Valve offers their entire library of games as apology.

Valve's new hardware for Steam users, including the Steam Link and Steam Controller, have had a little technical hiccup for its early adopters. Mac users are currently having problems with both of the devices, with gamepad emulation not functioning on the controller and the Steam Link not playing with the platform at all.

In an e-mail to customers (published by Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-19-steam-link-and-steam-controller-dont-work-with-macs-yet]) Valve has acknowledged the issues and stated that they're working on a solution. By way of an apology, the publisher has provided the Valve Complete Pack (a collection of all Valve games past and future) to affected consumers.

The Steam Link device enables players to stream games from the Steam library on their computer to any screen by way of the user's home network. The Steam Controller is Valve's answer to the gamepad, featuring a pair of touchpads for emulating mouse and keyboard controls to broaden the range of games playable with a controller. Both devices will be available at retail on November 10 for $49.99 each.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-19-steam-link-and-steam-controller-dont-work-with-macs-yet]

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
So the pacage is stuff that the owners of these kits already have. Sure the future games part of it sounds good, but, comeon, do you really think Valve is going to actually make a new game anytime soon?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Conrad Zimmerman said:
...the Valve Complete Pack (a collection of all Valve games past and future)
Im fairly certain that the VCP doesnt offer all future Valve games.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
gigastar said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
According to Valve's e-mail (found in the linked Eurogamer story), it does in this circumstance. I'm fairly certain this isn't the first time they've corrected a customer issue in this way either.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Conrad Zimmerman said:
gigastar said:
Conrad Zimmerman said:
According to Valve's e-mail (found in the linked Eurogamer story), it does in this circumstance. I'm fairly certain this isn't the first time they've corrected a customer issue in this way either.
Well that will be good for affected Mac users if Valve ever gets around to releasing another game in our lifetimes.

And indeed i dont think its the first time Valve has done this either. Though i cannot even vaugely remember when whey last did it, much less why.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Steam, a program built with [Windows] PC as a primary, allowed for Linux use, and only within the past few years went into having a Mac option (with a 1/100th the library as the PC section). That is having trouble on Macs? You don't say...

P.S. If you want to game on something other than a console or a phone, you don't do it on a Mac. Go PC or go home!

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
If you want to game on something other than a console or a phone, you don't do it on a Mac. Go PC or go home!
Unless, of course, you want a computer with a user-friendly operating system, better OS security and don't want to have to shell out a couple thousand additional dollars for a machine dedicated to video games. I mean, really, just because Mac isn't the most flexible platform out there doesn't mean people shouldn't desire games on it.

I'm not even a Mac guy, and I get it. Remember, the industry at large has viewed PC gaming with the same disdain you're expressing for Mac users, essentially saying "Go console or go home." Your house is made of slightly reinforced glass.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Deathfish15 said:
Steam, a program built with [Windows] PC as a primary, allowed for Linux use, and only within the past few years went into having a Mac option (with a 1/100th the library as the PC section).
Time for a little education: Mac support predates Linux by about three years, and there are significantly more games supporting Macs on Steam than Linux.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
That's a pretty nice "sorry" gift, at least.
Really? Let's face it if you've forked out for ANY of the Steam hardware (and my god why would you want to have done that.... oh wait we're talking about Mac owners here, uh okay skip that...) any way back to the point. If you have bought a piece of Steam hardware chances are you already own a good number of Valves back catalogue anyway, so what they have done is give you access to games you more than likely already own as well as all the games that Valve, the game developer that no longer develops games will release in the future.

As gifts go it's a pretty crap one, how about the value of their back catalogue in your Steam Wallet?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Laughing Man said:
That's a pretty nice "sorry" gift, at least.
Really? Let's face it if you've forked out for ANY of the Steam hardware (and my god why would you want to have done that.... oh wait we're talking about Mac owners here, uh okay skip that...) any way back to the point. If you have bought a piece of Steam hardware chances are you already own a good number of Valves back catalogue anyway, so what they have done is give you access to games you more than likely already own as well as all the games that Valve, the game developer that no longer develops games will release in the future.

As gifts go it's a pretty crap one, how about the value of their back catalogue in your Steam Wallet?
Considering that as far as we know this is temporarily broken is it really that bad? When Intel released the LGA1155 chipset there was a problem with the voltage delivery which would damage hard drives in SATA2 position they replaced the broken chipset on the motherboards and sent them back. Customers weren't compensated in any way, they didn't lose anything in the exchange either though. Hardware errors or software errors are rarely compensated with anything other than a functional product when that is available or a complete refund. So we are comparing Valve giving out their entire game library to the standard of giving nothing. Is it really a crappy gift considering?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Given that Valve has not actually cared about the Mac since roughly a few months after they started supporting it, this doesn't exactly surprise me. There's currently a major stability issue with TF2, for example, that they literally don't know how to fix and have restricted people's graphics settings (on a game made in 2007, mind you, which every modern computer should be able to run on maxed-out settings with no trouble) as a "temporary" solution.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I dunno why all you Debbie Downers are continuing to Debbie Down the joint.

There's SO MANY HALF LIFE 3 JOKES JUST RIPE FOR THE PICKING RIGHT THERE.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Granfaloon said:
Lol, why would somebody game on a Mac?
Because it's a computerised device that can play games, and every now and then when you get bored you might like to entertain yourself by playing games?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So we are comparing Valve giving out their entire game library to the standard of giving nothing. Is it really a crappy gift considering?
Uh no, we weren't comparing Valve giving out their gaming library to anything else, YOU are comparing them. I am tempering the inevitable, oh Valve aren't they awesome look at how generous they are all their games and all their future games just because they couldn't get their much vaunted, much more expensive and much crappier hardware to do it's job on a format they haven't truly given a fuck about for a good few years.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Wait, the Steam Machine is still a thing? /thread

In all seriousness it seems like a rather paltry gift when you remember these people probably already have most, if not all, of Valve's games since they had the brainwashing brand loyalty to buy a Steam Machine. And we all know Valve isn't eager to actually develop many games now.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
The real news is that there are Mac users who early adopted steam controllers. That's genuinely shocking.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
lacktheknack said:
I dunno why all you Debbie Downers are continuing to Debbie Down the joint.

There's SO MANY HALF LIFE 3 JOKES JUST RIPE FOR THE PICKING RIGHT THERE.
I am serious surprised I haven't seen any.

"Valve promises new games? HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!"