Steve Jobs - The Jobs Biopic We Need and Deserve

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

Steve Jobs is an unconventional biopic that focuses on its eponymous character's personality and relationships.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, I've never understood why anybody gave a damn about Steve Jobs.

I don't mean that as some kind of insult or criticism. I have absolutely nothing against the guy or his company. I just never got what the big deal was with him over any other businessman or tech company CEO.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Zhukov said:

I don't mean that as some kind of insult or criticism. I have absolutely nothing against the guy or his company. I just never got what the big deal was with him over any other businessman or tech company CEO.
I think it?s mainly how his work and life has been rather heavily romanticized. Mostly his post-Apple creation stuff. Created a strong company, but was forced out by the executives and board of directors who then crashed the company, while Steve made Pixar and boosted that company, before finally going back and reversing Apple?s decline. A simple, romanticized version of what happened to Apple that completely disregards that Steve was a pretty authoritarian and downright awful person when put into a business position.

Doesn?t help that Steve helped feed that romanticism, while most other high tiered CEO/business person would rather not feed the limelight on themselves.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Steve Jobs is not a man worthy of praise nor is he a man worthy of respect. One movie about his life is a hundred too many for my tastes.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Why do we need, let alone 'deserve' a movie about a guy who created one of the most obnoxious and anti-competitive companies in history?

You know, I'd like a movie set 100 years in the future when we have to deal with the pollution caused by billions of tonnes of landfill of obsolete and outdated iPhones and iPads - 'outdated' meaning more than 6 months old. Or about the slave labor in India and China by those assembling these things for 2 cents an hour.

BlackJesus

Aug 31, 2014
Steve Jobs was a lunatic who thought that only eating fruit would eliminate the need to bathe, died of an easily treatable disease because he wanted to use quack bullshit instead of actual medicine, and treated his employees like shit. Not to mention the slave labour used to make his phones and tablets that are outdated in half a goddamn year. He deserves no recognition.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
In addition to all the other comments, lets not forget Jobs was also a dead beat dad, and refused to acknowledge his daughter even BEFORE he was insanely rich and had everything to lose.

ThinRedLine

Sep 15, 2015
So far we have comments focusing on attributes of the real Steve Jobs, calling a dead man all sorts of things like deadbeat dad, lunatic, or how his company handled/handles things.

How about the movie? Did you feel the review seemed good? Maybe the movie is, you know, good - no matter what you might have thought about the guy. Boyle and Sorkin plus Fassbender at least sounds like either the most smug and pretentious thing you can imagine, or a dream team.

Just seems weird to come here and all I see is stuff about sweatshops and attacking a dead man's character.

PS. Never owned an Apple product in my life save for having to use QuickTime begrudgindly.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
Did the movie include the part when Jobs was working for Atari and submitted Wozniak's work as his own, even going as far as to not pay Woz the agreed upon price for the work?

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
The movie Michael Fassbender should win an oscar for but is never going to because it's a movie about modern technology and the oscar panel is too pretentious in terms of their relevance to not nominate it but also too outdated to ever give some actual consideration

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
So, this movie about "the guy who bought a new car every few months so he could exploit a legal loophole to use handicapped parking," starring Fassbender isn't as bad as the other movie about "the guy who's inexplicably hailed as a technological genius despite his only real skills being in marketing" starring that guy who ISN'T Charlie Sheen? Truly a massive hurdle has been cleared.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I get it, Steve Jobs is topical and sort of a role model for the yuppies, but enough is enough...

In the years since its death, there has been enough movies, documentaries and mockumentaries to make it overkill. They are adding nothing, and are so romanticized that make John Wayne westerns look like historical pictures. Or maybe I am tired of all the people out there riding on his image.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Sheesh, the hate is strong in this thread.

To counter, I shall make the claim that Steve Jobs was a genious and a visionary.
The most importat person in technology this side of the century.

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
Bla bla bla bla, too many Steve Jobs things. Bla bla bla, awful person IRL. BLa bla.

Could we judge the movie instead of prematurely bashing it for existing In the first place?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm just confused that this movie exists. It's one thing for Deep Impact and Armageddon to come out in close proximity to each other. You end up wanting to see both to compare/contrast. Similar but different stories. But this is telling the same story as Jobs, which I thought interesting and good enough and came out only 2 years ago. Heck, they give Spiderman more time to reboot.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Kajin said:
Steve Jobs is not a man worthy of praise nor is he a man worthy of respect. One movie about his life is a hundred too many for my tastes.
Interestingly, this movie actually shows him as a profoundly dislikable asshole. Imo, it's the only movie to accurately portray Jobs' character (insofar as I perceive it based on what I know about his life). Also, it's directed by Danny Boyle, one of the best directors alive right now. If you're going to watch one Steve Jobs movie, this is the one to watch.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Zhukov said:
BECAUUUUUUSE. Like... he was a hero!

No, he was a great technology pioneer, a visionary and a genius!

I'll get back to you later on mentioning something that he actually did which could justify him being called any of those things... but like... they totally existed. Everyone knows that >_>.

But yeah, it's like it takes a genius to take credit for someone else's work, or simple paint existing technology white, make it idiot proof and locked-down, then charge more for it.
And hell, maybe that's the thing; Apple products are probably great for people who don't actually want real control over their own machines because they know they'd only fuck them up anyway.

Meanwhile Jay Miner is almost unheard of. For shame. Seems like even in the 80s Macs were just as underpowered and overexpensive as they are now. Except probably even moreso. At least after 85.

StreamerDarkly said:
Did the movie include the part when Jobs was working for Atari and submitted Wozniak's work as his own, even going as far as to not pay Woz the agreed upon price for the work?
I sure hope so... that's a story that always sticks out for me. Seems to sum him up pretty well.

dyre said:
Also, it's directed by Danny Boyle
Oooh, interesting. Mind you, I'm not entirely sure if I've ever liked a Danny Boyle film a lot that wasn't Trainspotting... but still.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Marter said:

Steve Jobs is an unconventional biopic that focuses on its eponymous character's personality and relationships.

Read Full Article
I don't know why you thought Steve Jobs and Bridge of Spies would not work on paper. When I think of who is starring, directing, and writing each movie, I went in expecting each movie to be at least very good. Neither movie disappointed me.

My baggage about Steve Jobs, the person, is minimal. I didn't buy Apple products. I thought that Steve Jobs was more about marketing than creating innovations. I never had any interest in his life. I was really interested in a movie that was written by Aaron Sorkin, directed by Danny Boyle, and starred Michael Fassbender. The only combination that would be better than that would be a movie written by The Coen Brothers, directed by Steven Speilberg, and starring Tom Hanks.

Steve Jobs turned out to be a better movie than Bridge of Spies. Even if you weren't familiar with the events in Bridge of Spies, you knew there wasn't going to be a tragic twist. With Steve Jobs, you were kept wondering how Steve Jobs would interact with each person in every scene. This is one of those movie that begs repeat viewings. There were a lot of details written in the background, that floats by in a second, and other subtle details that were easily missed.

There were two movies I liked this year that featured flawed but talented men. The other is The End of the Tour. I am hoping that both of them won't be forgotten when award season comes around.