Sword Coast Legends Review - No Critical Hit

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Sword Coast Legends Review - No Critical Hit

It's been awhile since we had a game that pulled from the tried and true Dungeons and Dragons world of Forgotten Realms. Unfortunately, gathering my party for venturing forth was not as memorable as hoped.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
Darn. Even after the early coverage, I was hoping that the DM section would be more flexible, and I could use it to bridge the game between cRPGs and pen and paper gaming for some friends.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Darn. Even after the early coverage, I was hoping that the DM section would be more flexible, and I could use it to bridge the game between cRPGs and pen and paper gaming for some friends.
Unfortunately, [user]John Keefer[/user] has it pretty much nailed. The campaign is pretty solid, but the DM tools are far too limited. I had hoped to translate a 5E module I'm working on with a friend to the platform, but it just wasn't to be. It's still a fun little game, but it's not what I was hoping it would turn out to be.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
I took a chance on this and bought it because Forgotten Realms. Figured it couldn't be worse than Daggerdale, and I made it through that one relatively unscathed.(At least it wasn't Hillsfar, which a friend of mine bought back in the day for the C64.) Tentatively relieved to hear a more positive take than that of the Steam community at large.

Anyone willing to comment on whether it's worth playing already, functionality-wise, or should one wait for the customary bug fixes? Mainly talking about the SP campaign.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
StatusNil said:
Anyone willing to comment on whether it's worth playing already, functionality-wise, or should one wait for the customary bug fixes?
This is definitely better than Daggerdale, and it is a fun little romp, just not the game changer it was hyped to be. It IS Forgotten Realms, with a really good narrative. I had fun with the campaign.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
John Keefer said:
StatusNil said:
Anyone willing to comment on whether it's worth playing already, functionality-wise, or should one wait for the customary bug fixes?
This is definitely better than Daggerdale, and it is a fun little romp, just not the game changer it was hyped to be. It IS Forgotten Realms, with a really good narrative. I had fun with the campaign.
No major game-breaking issues then, I take it. Cool, I'll move it up the to-do list to "asap". Thanks.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
StatusNil said:
(At least it wasn't Hillsfar, which a friend of mine bought back in the day for the C64.)
What was wrong with Hillsfar? I spent many hours playing it on my C64 using characters I had created in the goldbox games. Picking locks to find treasure, riding horses across the lands, fighting in the arena; grade school me had a blast with it.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
StatusNil said:
At least it wasn't Hillsfar, which a friend of mine bought back in the day for the C64.)
What was wrong with Hillsfar? I spent many hours playing it on my C64 using characters I had created in the goldbox games. Picking locks to find treasure, riding horses across the lands, fighting in the arena; grade school me had a blast with it.