Retro-clones

Allen Varney

Jul 18, 2006
Retro-clones

Retro-clones allow you to play the classic RPG games without having to shell out the extra cash.

Read Full Article

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
This makes me very happy.
I am going to go be a geek now because of this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Anyone else waiting for the reworded retro-clone of the old WEG D6 system? Daddy wants his classic Star Wars back gosh darnnit!

Also, PDF's won't ever completely replace dead tree versions. Printed PDF's and On Screen Versions just aren't as good as having a full book that you can easily pass around and effectively flip through while playing.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
PedroSteckecilo said:
Anyone else waiting for the reworded retro-clone of the old WEG D6 system? Daddy wants his classic Star Wars back gosh darnnit!

Also, PDF's won't ever completely replace dead tree versions. Printed PDF's and On Screen Versions just aren't as good as having a full book that you can easily pass around and effectively flip through while playing.
While some of them do indeed offer printed hard and soft cover versions, most of these games are retro-cloning system designed that only the DM needs to have the book. In the Classic B/X D&D campaign I am currently playing in, we haven't needed to see the DMs books at anytime during play.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I guess I wasn't clear, I meant that in a more general sense. For example, I've had Spirit of The Century in PDF for over a year but I bought a Dead Tree Version because I got annoyed working with either crappy printed sheets of paper or an electronic screen, I prefer having a "book" that's properly put together.

Mark Krawec

Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for the positive mention of ZeFRS, but I feel compelled to point out that TSR Conan didn't have a chase flowchart - that was Top Secret/S.I. Believe me, if there had been a flowchart I would have included that puppy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Steve Jackson (when he teamed up with Ian Livingston) made the coolest choose your path books but I never got into his rpgs.

I was always more partial to the Palladium style rules: rifts, tmnt. Are there any free pdfs for those games?

APVarney

Writer and game designer
Aug 15, 2006
Mark Krawec said:
Thanks for the positive mention of ZeFRS, but I feel compelled to point out that TSR Conan didn't have a chase flowchart - that was Top Secret/S.I. Believe me, if there had been a flowchart I would have included that puppy.
Sorry, I must have been thinking of the TSR Indiana Jones RPG, which appeared about the same time as Conan and shared some of its rules. I believe the Top Secret chase flowchart was derived from the Indy version.

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
APVarney said:
Mark Krawec said:
Sorry, I must have been thinking of the TSR Indiana Jones RPG, which appeared about the same time as Conan and shared some of its rules. I believe the Top Secret chase flowchart was derived from the Indy version.
The only Indiana Jones RPG I know of is the one used in the Diana Jones Award. What was the chase flowchart?

A great article. I had no idea people could do this. I agree with Proctor, though: from what I could see, 3.5 was just getting interesting. Dungeonscape, apparently one of the last books released for 3.5, is absolutely wonderful, and Pathfinder is wonderful. I would buy the dead-tree version, but I don't have the required €50. Or, indeed, the storage space; my RPG shelf is taken up with Anima and DnD, with at least one-tenth of the shelf consisting of Paranoia XP and three splat books by Gar Hanrahan. And comic books.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
8-Bit Dungeon sounds like it would be tons of fun, but despite its listing on RPGnet, I can't seem to find it anywhere; even the system's author's links to the free PDF of it appear to be broken!
Can anyone help?

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
shark77 said:
8-Bit Dungeon sounds like it would be tons of fun, but despite its listing on RPGnet, I can't seem to find it anywhere; even the system's author's links to the free PDF of it appear to be broken!
Can anyone help?
If you have an account on RPGNet, you can probably download it from Allen's link in the article (I don't have an account, and couldn't be bothered making one right now). If that doesn't work, this [http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=221102] is the thread on RPGNet created by the publisher/author of the system. Check his public profile. Apart from that, no results seem to be right. The closest I came pointed to a direct download, but the page 404ed.

anaphysik

Nov 5, 2008
KBKarma said:
If you have an account on RPGNet, you can probably download it from Allen's link in the article (I don't have an account, and couldn't be bothered making one right now). If that doesn't work, this [http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=221102] is the thread on RPGNet created by the publisher/author of the system. Check his public profile. Apart from that, no results seem to be right. The closest I came pointed to a direct download, but the page 404ed.
Yep, I saw those dead links too. Sadly, no luck on getting it from registering on RPGNet :(

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
shark77 said:
KBKarma said:
Yep, I saw those dead links too. Sadly, no luck on getting it from registering on RPGNet :(
PM Allen then, or e-mail him. Chances are high that he has a copy on his computer.

APVarney

Writer and game designer
Aug 15, 2006
KBKarma said:
PM Allen then, or e-mail him. Chances are high that he has a copy on his computer.
Sure, email me at allenvarney (at) gmail (dot) com, or contact the designer (or as he put it, the formatter and coordinator), Levi Kornelson, at pres (at ) lrpsedm (dot) com.

Levi Kornelsen

Jan 16, 2010
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B3iG4NIiyX7JZjcxMjE4ZTQtY2ZmMS00NDM3LWIwNTUtZmYyOGFmOTBjMzQ3&hl=en

Should work.