So Sony is Still Developing First-Party Vita Titles - Just Not AAA Ones

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
So Sony is Still Developing First-Party Vita Titles - Just Not AAA Ones

Sony Europe boss Jim Ryan assures fans that the PlayStation Vita still has Sony's first-party support.

Earlier this month, we ran a story from Sony's SVP Masayasu Ito [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161146-Sony-no-Longer-Supporting-PS-Vita] who claimed that "Currently, first-party studios have no titles in development for PS Vita." Now, it looks like Sony Europe Boss Jim Ryan is disputing that information, claiming that while there are no AAA titles in development for the Vita right now, it doesn't mean that first-party support has been dropped.

To clarify what was said about Vita, which was either misinterpreted or misreported: I think what was said was that we're no longer in the business of triple-A development of games for Vita," Ryan told VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/29/sony-must-break-the-mould-with-vr-detroit-wild/] in an interview. "But there is still first-party Vita content being worked upon."

He continued to stress that Sony hasn't abandoned the Vita, and that "We do view [the Vita] as something that will be of considerable long-term importance. I'm aware that might come across as a bit mealy-mouthed, but I think that's probably about as much as I can say."

Ryan neglected to mention what kind of games were in development for the Vita, but at least it's good to know that the ailing handheld hasn't been completely abandoned.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2015/10/29/sony-must-break-the-mould-with-vr-detroit-wild/]

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The fact that they waited this long to rectify the error shows they really don't care.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
3rd partys the way to go. Esp if you like jrpgs. Just got the new corpse party and its good outside of the loading screens and the lag when a ghost appears.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
That makes me feel better that they're not dropping full support on the Vita, which means they'll also be supporting the hardware with updates and such.

RaikuFA said:
3rd partys the way to go. Esp if you like jrpgs. Just got the new corpse party and its good outside of the loading screens and the lag when a ghost appears.
I do think that most handhelds outside of Nintendo have had better 3rd party games anyway. PSP was like that too.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
They should call it Playstation Mortem. AmIright?

[sub][sub]*Gets booed off stage[/sub][/sub]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Also, I find that when a company doesn't focus on the AAA "standard" sometimes better games are made because they're not as heavily weighted by focus groups or marketing trends.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
so basically Sony is doing a token effort to PRETEND like they still care. Seriously, after they lost Monster Hunter they should have packed it in.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
09philj said:
The fact that they waited this long to rectify the error shows they really don't care.
I'm also not sure this is really an improvement.

RaikuFA said:
The problem is, loss of first party support often signals the end of the life cycle of a product. While third party support can continue on for ages (see the PS2), it's usually only done for something that's popular (See the PS2). The Vita? Not so much. So third party is the way to go, but if Sony's done with the system (which I guess they're saying they're not now, but this doesn't seem much better), we're probably going to see those drop off, too.

mysecondlife said:
They should call it Playstation Mortem. AmIright?

[sub][sub]*Gets booed off stage[/sub][/sub]

Aiddon said:
so basically Sony is doing a token effort to PRETEND like they still care. Seriously, after they lost Monster Hunter they should have packed it in.
Honestly, if this was the effort they were going to put into the system, they should have packed it in during R&D.

As I've said before, the PS Vita is not a bad system. Sony seemed to be unwilling to do much for it, though. Combine that with bad choices (*coughSDcards*) and they pretty much set it up to fail.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Something Amyss said:
I find it bad by the virtue of not making much improvement from the PSP, not much reason to have made a new handheld system, and not being backwards compatible to the games present so that you wouldn't take to the field empty-handed. In short, it was handled poorly, ergo it is bad by comparison. Hell, even shorter: It was not VITAL.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
AAA is usually compromised games aiming to attract the biggest fanbase possible. As long as they keep bringing games like Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines (which is amazing and everyone should go play right now) there's actually no issue here.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
AAA i just a teller of budget.
A handheld shouldn't even have such a high budget. No wonder Sony is doing so badly in the handheld market when they don't understand something as simple as that.