Venezuela Moves to Ban Violent Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Venezuela Moves to Ban Violent Games

The government of Venezuela is taking steps to ban violent videogames as part of an attempt to combat out-of-control crime in the country.

Violent crime in Venezuela has exploded over the past decade, to the point that the murder rate in the capital city of Caracas has become one of the highest in the world, surpassing even notorious locales like Mexico City and Bogota, Colombia. Dozens of people are killed in the city every week, according to a Reuters [http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idINTRE57P55R20090826] report, and over 100,000 have been murdered since President Hugo Chavez took office in early 1999. Assaults, robberies and kidnappings are also common.

In response, the government has introduced a bill to ban violent videogames and toys. The bill has already passed a first round of voting in the National Assembly, but must pass a second vote and then be signed by Chavez before it becomes law. A date for the second vote has not yet been set, nor is there any indication that what will constitute a "violent videogame" has been defined.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the relative merits of the Chavez regime but attacking videogames as a root cause of crime in Venezuela is obviously scapegoating. The country is struggling with some very deep-seated issues and while railing against the evils of games - most of which are probably portrayed as Yankee games - on Aló Presidente might make for some fiery rhetoric, it does absolutely zip to address any real problems.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
...I didn't even know there were that many gamers in Venezuela...

That aside, I think the people (read; gangsters) who go around killing each other and the people in Venezuela who are rich enough to afford video games don't mix that much, but I could be wrong.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Wait, wait, wait, wait.... can people in Venezuela even afford a gaming system? I don't mean to stereotype, but isn't that just the reality of the situation? They've got a crazy dictator and a corrupt government and said corrupt government has decided that "violent games" (Way to be concise Venezuela) are the root of the problem. That's either mindbendingly stupid, or the worst attempt at scapegoating that I've ever seen. As I said before, I doubt many Venezuelans can even afford a gaming console.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
ThePeiceOfEden said:
why?

no game markets complete without violence.

Infact why dosen't Venezuela fuck games.

who wants to play Cooking Mama?
I do. It's awesome.

But really, how is banning violent games going to reduce crime? Gamers can't murder people because we're too busy gaming.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
ThePeiceOfEden said:
why?

I do.

But really, how is banning violent games going to reduce crime? Gamers can't murder people because we're too busy gaming.
yes.

and now people don't have a way of venting frustration that doesn't involve:
a) The Board Game
b) Releasing someone from the shackles of their physical body (Kill them)

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
im afraid this is one time when im gonna have to be for the banning of videogames, cause if crime is that bad there and i was in charge id ban almost anything to try and cut down the crime...if ti doesnt work they could always bring em back...

doubt it tho

Aug 17, 2009
I think we all know the real reason behind this: Hugo thinks the games are "American propaganda". That little bugger is like Mahmoud's annoying little brother.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
ThePeiceOfEden said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
ThePeiceOfEden said:
why?

I do. It's awesome.

Manhunt?

But then again thats a criminal offence to own it in New Zealand.

And banned for the Brits.
Can't wait to see a burke who tries to glide or jack helicopters
Those aren't people, they're clouds of ones and zeroes.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
This won't work in Germany, and it won't work in Venezuela.
Or anywhere else. Millions of kids around the world spend a huge chunk of their days playing violent games, and only a teeny-tiny fraction of those kids become the terrorists/satanists/kitten-eaters/gangsters that so many parental groups and now, it seems, the Venezuelan government, predict.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
If these people are murdering everyone left right and center, I doubt they'll be against owning a few illegal video games.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
ThePeiceOfEden said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
ThePeiceOfEden said:
AmrasCalmacil said:
ThePeiceOfEden said:
why?

I do. It's awesome.

Manhunt?

But then again thats a criminal offence to own it in New Zealand.

And banned for the Brits.
Can't wait to see a burke who tries to glide or jack helicopters
Those aren't people, they're clouds of ones and zeroes.
What the people who imitate Manhunt. like here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunt_(video_game)#The_murder_of_Stefan_Pakeerah]

Or Alex Mercer wanna-be's?
Um, were you dropped on your head or being sarcastic? I can't tell since I am not human enough from my caffeine infusion, it is only 50% complete.

"In the UK, the game was linked to the murder of Stefan Pakeerah, 14, by his friend Warren Leblanc, 17, on the 27 February 2004. Giselle Pakeerah, the victim's mother, claimed that Leblanc had been 'obsessed' with the game after he pleaded guilty in court.[12] During the subsequent media exposure, the game was removed from sale by some vendors, such as the UK and international branches of GAME and Dixons, leading to "significantly increased" demand[13] both from retailers and on Internet auction sites. The police denied any such link between the game and the murder, citing drug-related robbery as the motive. The presiding judge also placed sole responsibility with Leblanc in his summing up after sentencing him to life. It was later discovered that Leblanc did not actually own the game, but Pakeerah did."

The victim owned the game and the police deemed the murder to be drug related... So what exactly did Manhunt have to do with it? Owners become victims? As for New Zealand, I gave up hope on them having a grip on reality for a long time now.