Warhammer Online Puts the Bite on the Food Network

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warhammer Online Puts the Bite on the Food Network

Do you like Warhammer Online [http://www.warhammeronline.com/]? Do you like cake? The two come crashing together on tonight's episode of Ace of Cakes, which will feature one of the ugliest and coolest bits of baked goods to ever come out of an oven.

Modeled after the Squig of Warhammer Online fame, the cake was originally made for the Baltimore Games Day event that was held in May. Fans who didn't happen to be around for springtime in Baltimore will have a second chance to get an eyeful of this great red monstrosity on the Food Network tonight (that's August 27) at 10 pm EST, with an encore presentation at 1 am Friday.

This thing looks more like an oversized toy (assuming your child has a taste for the truly repugnant) than a cake, which I guess is the point, because Ace of Cakes host Duff Goldman says it's the best thing he's ever made on the show. "We made a cake of a monster called Squig from a video game called Warhammer for a video-game convention," he told USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-07-28-cake-boss_N.htm]. "This thing was about the size of large sheepdog. It was gigantic. It was a humongous cake balanced on two legs."

The trouble with this kind of culinary creation is that it ends up transcending mere food and moving into the realm of art, which would leave me feeling horribly guilty about eating it. (But I'd still eat it. I likes me my cake.)

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
If I were at that convention I'd walk up and take a bite out of one of the legs.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Malygris said:
But I'd still eat it. I likes me my cake.
You best eat it before it eats you, then.

Looks ferocious. But I wonder what they put in it to keep it standing. Because only some seriously stale cake would be able to support itself like that.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
How would one go about eating it? It looks far too unsteady to be simply sliced up and devoured.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
The most awesome part about the whole affair is that Goblins/Orcs use squigs as food (since all the greenskins are fungus based life forms they often eat each other). This could possibly be the closest thing a human could do to be like a goblin/orc.

Now I wonder if we could convince a small green child to try and ride it...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
*sighs in relief*

I thought I was crazy when I saw that cake on Food network the other day... I was all like, no, way!

So, now, when do we get an Escapist cake?

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
How was that made?!
It's so cool!
If he could send out the method he used to make it to a cake shop, I can guarantee they'd sell thousands.
*drools*

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Its unfortunate that most people view of the Warhammer world comes from the mediocre online game and not the wonderful tabletop miniature game.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I recently ate a sculpted cake such as that and the frosting was pretty nasty. It's chewy, kind of like taffy. It just didn't work for me... maybe an acquired taste.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
funksobeefy said:
Its unfortunate that most people view of the Warhammer world comes from the mediocre online game and not the wonderful tabletop miniature game.
Boo to the most people,
seeing as people have failed to notice the base painted and shaped somewhat to what the old editions (the old old ollld slottas) bases-with colours and added details,

Fiskmasen

Apr 6, 2008
CloudKiller said:
The cake is a lie (Sorry couldn't resist)

I wonder how much it cost?
It's funny 'cause it has absolutely no point, what-so-fucking-ever, to the rest of the thread...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
That's it! I demand a videogame-themed cake for my buthday! Let's see....how about...oh, I know! A ponocky from Viva Pinata [http://pinataisland.info/viva/Ponocky]. :)

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Fearzone said:
I recently ate a sculpted cake such as that and the frosting was pretty nasty. It's chewy, kind of like taffy. It just didn't work for me... maybe an acquired taste.
Yeah, its called fondant. I'm not a big fan of it either.
Can't wait to see the ep tonite. My wife and I saw the commercial and couldn't believe it. A squig! No way!

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
Awesome cake, looks tasty.

Wait, Baltimore has a game day? How come I didn't know this?
yep they are also in Chicago, L.A. and New York. tickets are still available for the Chicago event as well

also
funksobeefy said:
well everyone could always do what they told you in the first edition of the Warhammer rule book: cut out paper bases, label them, and fight!

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
The Shade said:
Looks ferocious. But I wonder what they put in it to keep it standing. Because only some seriously stale cake would be able to support itself like that.
A co-worker sent me a news article about that cake a while ago, which I have alas lost... but I do remember that the legs have "bones" inside of something like PVC tubing to take the weight.

Awesome cake, but I'd never buy one myself. (If you thought the figures were expensive... and those, at least, last longer than one meal.)

-- Steve